Badly fitted RNS-E unit - any tips for a better fit? (images included)

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I will be replacing my old RNS-E unit for the newer MK2 when it arrives later this week :)

Something I have noticed with the one currently installed is how bad the fit is, which you can see in the photos below. There is a gap on the right hand side, its pushed up tight on the left, a large gap along the top and the bottom left hand corner is sticking out.

Before I start with the swap, does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this or can you let me know how this could of happened?

Thanks

rns1.jpg

rns2.jpg

rns3.jpg

rns4.jpg

When you remove it and fit the new one make sure each corner 'clicks' in properly

Was the rns an original factory fit or did you do a double din conversion to fit?

Was the rns an original factory fit or did you do a double din conversion to fit?

I never fitted this unit but I will be fitting the new one when it arrives.

The one that's currently installed (badly), was not factory fitted as the car originally came with a Symphony II according to the service book.

It may be possible the cage is not seated correctly

I was wondering this because where the bottom left hand corner sticks out, it is solid. I cant push it in or anything and there is no play in it at all.

Actually, while I've got the pictures loaded up, could anyone tell me if I have the right newest version of the hazard switch plate installed? I have seen some A3's with a slightly different plate where the buttons are more flush whereas mine are more rounded.

Remove the button trim then see if it sits properly, I was getting at if the cage was fitted wrongly.

if he had Symphony II from the factory the double DIN cage would have been factory fit also so that's unlikely to be the problem. i reckon it's just not been pushed in enough - maybe because there's a cable in the way at the back.