Tints - Legal Limit etc

alexkoon

Reaction score
I queried Pentagon about a quote in anticipation of my Sportback in March. Standard price is 695 + VAT for the security film and tint. Over at the tyresmoke forums (Article), they have a 25% group buy discount from last which is still available so I asked about this. Got a 30% discount to 485 + VAT.

I asked them about the legal limits (reading another thread on here about 30% tints). They said basically nothing is legal now as the legal requirement is to have 70% light through the front windows. He said a normal factory window has 78% or so light through so as soon as you add on a tint, it brings it down below the legal limit.

Anyone with tints clarify? Have you been stopped for light tints?

I was told this also however it is for the front and side windows only. The rears can be whatever.
I decided against it anyway but was quoted £150 for the 3 rear (3 door).
The guy there said that actually the A3 glass is very tinted already so I didnt really want that drug dealer look anyway since I have a black car also!.

ive been stopped by the police for not wearing a seat belt then he said he things my tints were too dark also..

i commented

"they are not dark enough cos you saw me without a seat belt!! he he"

"he just laughed..and never did anything about it...

but 600+ for tints? lol get a life..

some people seriously are stupid if they go with that company.

Yak, I know a firm in Finland that does such a good job with front windows that police or the car inspectors won't notice. I'll take some pictures of mine later today.

Normal procedure is to just tint the windows, but they disassemble the front doors, and tint the windows over the top edge, and then somehow grinds the top of the window so there is left no edge from the film. Looks like factory made really.

And for my A3 Sportback, cost 300€.

http://www.swaboteam.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=193&pos=1

The more expensive price (600+) includes Supaglass which is a glass protector to stop the low lifes having a go at your interior.

The actual cost of tiniting is actually 100 quid more than clear supaglass.

Supaglass - is that the stuff they hit with a hammer and it doesn't shatter? - like Toad used to (and may still) do?

Great stuff in an accident etc. The shattered glass from a side on impact can cause plenty of damage. And of course thieving b*stards can't get in to your car! If you have some serious ICE - not a bad investment.

SimoP, if I was a cop, I would stop you right away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Personally I was thinking about very small tint, little smoke-look to back-windows. Nothing black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak