Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    47

    Sat Nav Advice - Mounting

    I am considering a vent mount for a sat nav that i am going to buy, rather than on the windscreen. I am looking at the tomtom 120 live, but it has a "built in" screen mount. Are there any vent mounts for the A3? I am also looking at the navigon, as i have had a 4350 max for 2 years and its been the best nav ive had, so considering replacing it with the 40 premium live. Either way, I would prefer not to have it mounted on the screen. Options/opinions please?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Smoothie's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lurgan N.I
    Posts
    1,431
    In the nicest way possible mate your going to have a load of RNS-e comment in here lol
    Moved to the Darkside click below:

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    179
    brodit.se

    You buy in two parts - one is vehicle specific, and the other is gadget specific, and they clip together
    2010 S3 Sportback, MY11, S-tronic, Sprint Blue - gone
    2010 A3 TDi 170 quattro, Black Edition, Phantom Black

  5. #4
    I have a TomTom unit mounted on a Brodit bracket, although mine is a right-angled metal bracket provided by the installer when they installed it into one of my earlier A3s. I have transferred it and made the wiring connection to the radio wiring on all my subsequent A3s.

    Here is a photo during fitting...
    Brodit Mount
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  6. #5
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    as Smoothie has alluded to - get RNS-E.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    as Smoothie has alluded to - get RNS-E.
    But how do you keep the Speed Camera database up to date - I use the PGPSW database and this is updated at least once a month, sometimes more.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  8. #7
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,754
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    But how do you keep the Speed Camera database up to date
    Uhhhh dont speed :P

    Where you been hiding Davey boy?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Uhhhh dont speed :P

    Where you been hiding Davey boy?
    But how does that keep the database up to date!. It may well stop you getting fined although I see in this mornings papers you can go up to 86 in a 70 zone before you will get a fine and points, but you have to agree to go on a 'speed awareness' course at 100 a time. Now the police cannot make money from speed cameras they have come up with a new idea to help the funds.

    Where have I been! - not seen a lot on the forum worth commenting about. Perhaps when the NEW A3 comes out.....
    Still hoping I will get to you it when I visit the German Motor Show in September.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  10. #9
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,754
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I see in this mornings papers you can go up to 86 in a 70 zone before you will get a fine and points, but you have to agree to go on a 'speed awareness' course at 100 a time. Now the police cannot make money from speed cameras they have come up with a new idea to help the funds.

    Where have I been! - not seen a lot on the forum worth commenting about. Perhaps when the NEW A3 comes out.....
    Still hoping I will get to you it when I visit the German Motor Show in September.
    Huh, come again, you can go 86 in a 70 if you do a course or if you get caught you have to go on a course?

    Damn if means I can do 86 legally in 70 then I'll pay 100 as it would certainly be worthwhile to stick fingers up at the Police when they pull me :P

    Well give me a shout mate, should still be warm that time of year.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Huh, come again, you can go 86 in a 70 if you do a course or if you get caught you have to go on a course?

    Damn if means I can do 86 legally in 70 then I'll pay 100 as it would certainly be worthwhile to stick fingers up at the Police when they pull me :P

    Well give me a shout mate, should still be warm that time of year.
    No it means that if you get caught doing uo to 86 in a 70 zone you can avoid the 60 file and the points on your licence if you agree to go on a 'Speed Awareness' course. Might be worth it for the experience. I did an Advanced Driving Course with the Police maby years ago that was paid for by the County Coucil I used to work because I had to drive as part of mt job. It was great fun. No doubt this would be more classroom than practical.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO