Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Sat Nav Advice - Mounting

I am considering a vent mount for a sat nav that i am going to buy, rather than on the windscreen. I am looking at the tomtom 120 live, but it has a "built in" screen mount. Are there any vent mounts for the A3? I am also looking at the navigon, as i have had a 4350 max for 2 years and its been the best nav ive had, so considering replacing it with the 40 premium live. Either way, I would prefer not to have it mounted on the screen. Options/opinions please?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    In the nicest way possible mate your going to have a load of RNS-e comment in here lol
    Moved to the Darkside click below:

1st Gear

Status
    brodit.se

You buy in two parts - one is vehicle specific, and the other is gadget specific, and they clip together
    2010 S3 Sportback, MY11, S-tronic, Sprint Blue - gone
    2010 A3 TDi 170 quattro, Black Edition, Phantom Black

I have a TomTom unit mounted on a Brodit bracket, although mine is a right-angled metal bracket provided by the installer when they installed it into one of my earlier A3s. I have transferred it and made the wiring connection to the radio wiring on all my subsequent A3s.

Here is a photo during fitting...
    Brodit Mount
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    as Smoothie has alluded to - get RNS-E.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    as Smoothie has alluded to - get RNS-E.
    But how do you keep the Speed Camera database up to date - I use the PGPSW database and this is updated at least once a month, sometimes more.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    But how do you keep the Speed Camera database up to date
    Uhhhh dont speed :P

Where you been hiding Davey boy?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Uhhhh dont speed :P

Where you been hiding Davey boy?
    But how does that keep the database up to date!. It may well stop you getting fined although I see in this mornings papers you can go up to 86 in a 70 zone before you will get a fine and points, but you have to agree to go on a 'speed awareness' course at 100 a time. Now the police cannot make money from speed cameras they have come up with a new idea to help the funds.

Where have I been! - not seen a lot on the forum worth commenting about. Perhaps when the NEW A3 comes out.....
    Still hoping I will get to you it when I visit the German Motor Show in September.
    Dave R (h5djr)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I see in this mornings papers you can go up to 86 in a 70 zone before you will get a fine and points, but you have to agree to go on a 'speed awareness' course at 100 a time. Now the police cannot make money from speed cameras they have come up with a new idea to help the funds.

Where have I been! - not seen a lot on the forum worth commenting about. Perhaps when the NEW A3 comes out.....
    Still hoping I will get to you it when I visit the German Motor Show in September.
    Huh, come again, you can go 86 in a 70 if you do a course or if you get caught you have to go on a course?

Damn if means I can do 86 legally in 70 then I'll pay 100 as it would certainly be worthwhile to stick fingers up at the Police when they pull me :P

Well give me a shout mate, should still be warm that time of year.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Huh, come again, you can go 86 in a 70 if you do a course or if you get caught you have to go on a course?

Damn if means I can do 86 legally in 70 then I'll pay 100 as it would certainly be worthwhile to stick fingers up at the Police when they pull me :P

Well give me a shout mate, should still be warm that time of year.
    No it means that if you get caught doing uo to 86 in a 70 zone you can avoid the 60 file and the points on your licence if you agree to go on a 'Speed Awareness' course. Might be worth it for the experience. I did an Advanced Driving Course with the Police maby years ago that was paid for by the County Coucil I used to work because I had to drive as part of mt job. It was great fun. No doubt this would be more classroom than practical.
    Dave R (h5djr)