Chris NottAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    26

    Sport or S line?

    Hi guys was going to buy an 8p s3, however, with my daily commute of 40miles head has ruled the heart and im going to stick to diesel. My budget is 8k so that should fetch me an early s line, or should i save a few hundred and go for the sport. The only thing thats putting me off the s line is the apparently stiff ride? Or should i just go for the sport and stick some nice 18" s line alloys on?

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    moag's Avatar
    she's no d-turbo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    819
    get an s-line. Its a far better looking car and the s-line seats are great.

    If you go for the sport you'll find yourself wanting s-line bumpers and other parts as they improve the look of the car so much. Trust me!

    S-line suspension is supposedly quite hard but you can put eibach or h&r springs in for around Ł200-250

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by moag View Post
    get an s-line. Its a far better looking car and the s-line seats are great.

    If you go for the sport you'll find yourself wanting s-line bumpers and other parts as they improve the look of the car so much. Trust me!

    S-line suspension is supposedly quite hard but you can put eibach or h&r springs in for around Ł200-250
    Cheers pal. Have you changed the springs on yours?

  5. #4
    moag's Avatar
    she's no d-turbo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by openside View Post
    Cheers pal. Have you changed the springs on yours?
    I have a sport, but yea I changed my springs for 40/45mm H&Rs

  6. #5
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Sport seats are the same as S-Line so no different. Buy an S-Line especially if your going to lower a Sport and fit 18" wheels on as it will be the same in terms of ride quality.

    With the budget of Ł8k though you be getting an early S-Line which look similar to the Sport apart from wheels and spoiler so go careful...
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  7. #6
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Coventry/Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,074
    Buy a newer sport like i have ,The seats are the same just unbranded the head lining is not black can be changed ,Oh and the supension has a 10mm diference ?The sline has badges and a few other bits .Some sports have more extras and are a lot cheaper , shop around .Why buy an older sline ?IIRC the older slines have sport type bumpers and split grilles?

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    Sport owners will always tell you the S lines arent worth the extra :-)

    S line owners can sleep at night knowing they bought the right car!

    You after a 3 door? I'm putting mine up for sale soon
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  9. #8
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Coventry/Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,074
    LMFAO

  10. #9
    Hellz's Avatar
    Geordie Racer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Sport owners will always tell you the S lines arent worth the extra :-)

    S line owners can sleep at night knowing they bought the right car!

    You after a 3 door? I'm putting mine up for sale soon
    +1 :D
    AUDI S3 2007 Dolphin Grey

    PREVIOUS:
    AUDI A3
    3.2 V6 Quattro S-Line DSG
    AUDI S3 8L
    AUDI A3 1.8T Quattro
    8L

  11. #10
    antmax7's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    300
    i have to agree why buy a rep wagon s-line they will all be company cars that have been hammered.
    i have a sport with many many extras and a full votex kit which if i remember rightly cost more than upgrading to s-line at the time!

  12. #11
    JNP
    JNP's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    102
    I have a sport and I would say that the s-line front bumper on the 06 onwards looks stunning and makes the car.

    IF i had the money i would have gone for an s-line but as it's such a sought after spec for people buying audi's it does push the price up a little.
    S3 8L AMK 51' - V3 Badger TIP - Jetex Cone w/ Heatshield - Forge FMDV008 - DS2500 Front Pads - 312/256 Discs - HR Sportkit

  13. #12
    jackj's Avatar
    Audi TDI Power!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    372
    S Line for sure mate!


    Audi A3 Ibis White Black Edition 2.0TDI
    Stage 1 - 180bhp
    / 300lbft torque | iPod Connection | Phone Prep/Bluetooth | Cruise Control | Exclusive Line Nappa Leather | Model de-badge

    ABT Tuning | Audi Driver Magazine |Shell V Power | Revolution247.com | Audi-Sport.net
    Progress Thread: Click here for more photos!

  14. #13
    munchkincoupe's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    971
    Get the S-line and change the Springs for H&R - job done

  15. #14
    FranA3's Avatar
    events moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    7,124
    ive got a sport and wish i bought an s-line but now ive changed the suspension i dont care as soon im getting the s-line front end so
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    tough call. i've owned both and the S-Line is definitely the better looking of the two. the problem is that for your budget you'll end up with one of the earlier S-Lines that won't have the bodykit, in which case there's not really much point.

    if you find a car with the proper S-Line bodykit then go S-Line, if you can't find a decent one for the money i wouldn't waste the extra cash on a non bodykitted S-Line so go for a Sport.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  17. #16
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    I bought a Sport. Now it looks like an S-line.
    Nuff said.

  18. #17
    FranA3's Avatar
    events moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by aythree View Post
    I bought a Sport. Now it looks like an S-line.
    Nuff said.
    my point exactly so easy to do
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

  19. #18
    TQS
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    267
    I had the money and actually preferred the Sport - i wanted the smoother ride and 17" wheels (cheaper tyres!) and more options for the money i was spending and have no regrets (and don't really care for a few ponseys-line badges either~)

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26
    Im in the same boat here mate, my budget is around 7-8k too!

    Im more interested in the car mechanically than anything else! I want low mileage and service history - dont care if its the bobby basic model or the split grill - will be making it a 8P2 s line anyway and the conversion looks simples and cost effective

    Not bothered about color either as its getting vinyl wrapped for definite and will be wrapped no doubt with different coloured bumpers and bonnet haha

  21. #20
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    Not bothered about color either as its getting vinyl wrapped for definite and will be wrapped no doubt with different coloured bumpers and bonnet haha

  22. #21
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26
    Care to explain dude? lol whats wrong with that?

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    59
    i have this image in my head!!



    just think different colour bumpers are a bit max powerish thats all...

  24. #23
    slade777's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    Im in the same boat here mate, my budget is around 7-8k too!

    Im more interested in the car mechanically than anything else! I want low mileage and service history - dont care if its the bobby basic model or the split grill - will be making it a 8P2 s line anyway and the conversion looks simples and cost effective

    Not bothered about color either as its getting vinyl wrapped for definite and will be wrapped no doubt with different coloured bumpers and bonnet haha
    What colour you getting it wrapped and how much is a full car going to cost?
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140
    .


  25. #24
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26
    Think you’ve read it wrong mate…

    The idea is to buy an 8P1 and convert to 8P2 S-line or S3 – doing this il be buying 8P2 bonnet and bumper so no doubt they’ll come in a different colour – however once wrapped in a vinyl obviously no one will know

    Doing this purely because my budgets 8k and for that I can get a really low mileage 8P1 that I consider future proof with low miles and plenty of service history – also with the interior factory options I want

    - Vinyl wrap I’ve got several quotes from reputable companies, cheapest quote so far is Ł1000 for the whole car, most expensive has been almost double that

  26. #25
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    Think you’ve read it wrong mate…

    The idea is to buy an 8P1 and convert to 8P2 S-line or S3 – doing this il be buying 8P2 bonnet and bumper so no doubt they’ll come in a different colour – however once wrapped in a vinyl obviously no one will know

    Doing this purely because my budgets 8k and for that I can get a really low mileage 8P1 that I consider future proof with low miles and plenty of service history – also with the interior factory options I want

    - Vinyl wrap I’ve got several quotes from reputable companies, cheapest quote so far is Ł1000 for the whole car, most expensive has been almost double that

    ohhhhhhh ha ha i genuinely pictured you getting the bumpers wrapped different colours! ill let you off then :P

  27. #26
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26
    Ahh no no no lol

    Contemplating a mad colour though, something bright and eye catch as i've had 2 black cars now

    Watch this space haha

  28. #27
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    292
    I'm looking to get an S-line TDI sportback once my Mk5 R32 is gone(gonna keep the seats though!)

    Any tips on how to differentiate between an 8P1 and 8P2?

    thanks

    Paul

    some beats for your Audis!

    Attempted Progression Vol I by tallpaultaylor on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

  29. #28
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    8P1 has the split/double grille. 8P2 has the single grille.
    There's a bit of a cross over on the years, but 8P1 is generally 03/53 to 54/55 plate, and 8P2 is 55/06 to 57/08 plate.

  30. #29
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    I'm looking to get an S-line TDI sportback once my Mk5 R32 is gone(gonna keep the seats though!)

    Any tips on how to differentiate between an 8P1 and 8P2?

    thanks

    Paul

    some beats for your Audis!

    Attempted Progression Vol I by tallpaultaylor on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
    You are looking at 2007/8 Sportbacks which are all single grill 8P2 basically... 8P3 is 58 plate (09MY) onwards which the facelifted rear lights etc...
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  31. #30
    YoungDan's Avatar
    www.DubClique.net

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    230
    I had 8k to play with too.

    I bought a sport on 50,000 miles with full leather, black headlining, xenons etc etc.



    I then bought this.



    along with a 2010 rear sline bumper.

    and now its just as good as an S-Line, with less miles, and with the money I saved, could do my mods.





    I made the right move I reckon?

  32. #31
    Baz123's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    5
    I have a 5 door sportback sport- can't understand why so many like the S - Line. I find the seats in the sport quite uncomfortable and would love to have any tips how to make them more comfy as I do long journeys.

    Would raising the suspension help? The sport is 15mm lower than SE.

  33. #32
    afcjay's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    426
    tbh i dont think many people would say they prefer the look of the sport so id have to say go for a s line
    3dr Dolphin Grey Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line

  34. #33
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    Aside from the trim/leather, I have found the seats are slightly different in the S-Line in terms of position; there is more underthigh support in the S-Line (as if the seats are tilted back more). You notice it most if you just stepped out of an S-Line and sat in a Sport; you feel the seats are too flat at the front/under thigh.

    I had an S-Line and it was a very nice spec car, looks great inside and out and doesn't "need" anything changing IMO. The ride isn't much firmer than the Sport, if anything the extra control more than offsets any slightly extra firmness.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO