Diesel Fuel Recommendations

jbs2472

Reaction score
I am not sure if it has been covered but does anyone have any opinions on what is the best diesel?

Shell V-Power, Fuel Save, BP Ultimate, Supermarket, Etc

I have a brand new 11 plate 2.0TDI 170 S-tronic and never had diesel before.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I tend to stick to standard Shell Diesel myself and add in some Millers Fuel Additive with every fill.

Paul

With the price of fuel now diesel is diesel to me.. every 5th tank or so i stick some redex diesel treatment in and that's it.

There is an article in What Car at the moment...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/are-sup ... ity/256405

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/are-sup ... -up/256405

You may find it useful, but the so called "performance" fuels dont really add any economy to cost benefit at all. I find no difference in my 2.0d x type between fuels, so just stick with Tesco, as i get clubcard pts. When I collect my A3 on monday, I will see how it goes and try Shell, but i doubt i will see any benefits, so in the long term, i will just stick with Tesco.

Shell Fuel Save is my preferred choice

Shell fuel save here also... although most fuels come from the same refinery its the big brands that add cleaning agents etc. Although I think i've read that Tesco fuels are ESSO??

If you have a DPF (you do) then stick to branded fuel - BP/Shell.

Cheaper supermarket has more kerosene in it and will cause a little more smoke which in turn makes the DPF work a little harder!

In my previous 170 if I put a tank of tesco fuel in I would get the DPF light on every few hundered miles. If I used BP fuel then It would be on once in a blue moon.

You can tell if the car is in regen as it will idle at 1000 rpm.

Shell fuel save here also... although most fuels come from the same refinery its the big brands that add cleaning agents etc. Although I think i've read that Tesco fuels are ESSO??
It actually varies from store to store believe it or not.

I have to say, shell fuel save made a slight improvement when I filled my jag up with it. As it costs the same as standard fuel its worth trying.