Upgrading Steering Wheel

Nat21

Reaction score
Hi

I wish to upgrade the steering wheel on my partners 54 plate Audi TDI.
Currently it is the old design Y shape Air bag 3 spoke. Want to change it to the square air bag design 3 spoke.

I have heard that it would fit but the air bag won't work. Something about different cables, two wires????

Please help how can I fit this?

Thanks
Nathan

You heard right about the newer wheel will physically fit but in the event of an accident the airbag won't deploy, due to the single stage (Y shape wheel) vs dual stage(newer wheels) systems. There is a way to get around this but it involves changing airbag control module and various other parts.

You heard right about the newer wheel will physically fit but in the event of an accident the airbag won't deploy, due to the single stage (Y shape wheel) vs dual stage(newer wheels) systems. There is a way to get around this but it involves changing airbag control module and various other parts.

Absolutely correct !

Can be done but you're probably looking at £600 +

New wheel, new airbag, new slip ring, new airbag control unit and probably new steering control module

Topic is still open to speculation...

A certain retrofit company claim that the Module '8P0 953 549 F' and Slipring 'D' will work fine, successfully converting Single Stage to Dual. Someone did this though, went into a tree and the airbag didn't deploy.

I was going to convert, but I'm not willing to risk my life.

Topic is still open to speculation...

A certain retrofit company claim that the Module '8P0 953 549 F' and Slipring 'D' will work fine, successfully converting Single Stage to Dual. Someone did this though, went into a tree and the airbag didn't deploy.

I was going to convert, but I'm not willing to risk my life.

Exactly !!

Correct advice Jonny.