JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    6th Gear

Status

black fuel filter

is it ok for the fuel filter to be black after say 12 months ?

i have been told that it should not go black as this is a sign that the injector seals are worn ?

i am asking this as i have had mine replaced over 18 months ago and am wondering if the job was done rite ?

also cant remember if they used new stretch bolts on the injectors ?

i did buy 03G198051A X 4 can any body tell me whats in this part number please ?
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    ETKA shows that part number as "Set of seals for unit injector"
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

6th Gear

Status
    ok no stretch bolt
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm

6th Gear

Status
    I have to clean the diesel filters on our petrol station pumps often. The added bio-diesel grows into a black mold on them and blocks them (makes pump run very slow) A total pain in the butt!!!
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Black is fine and its a characteristic of pump duse blow pass where combustion gases return in the fuel lines
    As mentioned in your other thread take a sample poor into a glass and leave it for 24 hours
    You should see separation, if excess soot is found then it will indicate worn injector seats or seal or even pitting of the cylinder head injector seats
    If oil is found that's ok as oil is a fuel and should have no impact on combustion as long as its not excessive but you find everyone fits tandem pumps for no other reason that they assume no oil should be present but if 1 year on they look again the fuel will again have oil content as its normal for this type of engine and unavoidable however it appears unsightly so we assume there is a fault
    If you wish you can flush the fuel system to remove the accumulated build up
    Soot is the killer and indicates excess blow pass but again there will always be a small % of soot present
    I would replace the fuel filter more frequently and use a higher grade of diesel if cost affective

As for the injector bolts they must be replaced every time with a low torque setting of 4 nm if I recall and correct install of the injectors is a must
    Last edited by a8 tech back; 7th April 2011 at 08:30.