Retrofit Cruise Control question (Slightly different one though)

evilbane

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys I have read up thoroughly and have all the kit VCDS/Cruise control stalk and lower cowling.
I have a very early 2005 A3 2.0 TDi so realise it's a little hit and miss if my car has the control wire.

My question is if my car does or does not have the control wire, should it be present in Pin 13 on the main steering black plug, as I know this is the pin it has to be fitted if needed?
I'm just wanting an easier way to find out if it needs the extra wire without having to reassemble everything only to take it all apart again.

Also what is the part number for the extra wire needed, or is it just a standard Audi repair wire?

Cheers in advance:wub:

Haha, cheers Ads.

Your research has served you well mate. If there is a wire in PIN13 of the black plug that goes into the Steering ECU then you have the wire and wont need to look anywhere else.

The wire iirc is brown/white.

if you have mfsw then the cruise lock command wire is present, only early none mfsw and new tt dont have the wire normally
and you will recive a can fault from address 16 if missing implausible signal

Haha, cheers Ads.

Your research has served you well mate. If there is a wire in PIN13 of the black plug that goes into the Steering ECU then you have the wire and wont need to look anywhere else.

The wire iirc is brown/white.

Thanks buddy just what I wanted to hear, do you know what part number the extra wire is, or is it just a standard Audi repair wire?

if you have mfsw then the cruise lock command wire is present, only early none mfsw and new tt dont have the wire normally
and you will recive a can fault from address 16 if missing implausible signal

I dont have MFSW, just the standard leather sport version :(

bummer, as already mentioned your dropping the cowling anyway so just check the pin location and keep your fingers crossed mate

Not a normal repair wire, one end is different... I'm not 100% sure on the part number of the wire as I've always got the wire with the Cruise Kit (8P0 054 690), but on ETKA I can view the parts involved in that kit and other than the stalk there is the 'cable tie with terminal socket' - pn 1Y0 971 838, so my bet is that the wire is within the bag of cable ties. The price is £0.87 + VAT, worth a try.

I dont suppose you have a spare/unused cable from a kit you fitted i could buy from you jb0o?
Thanks for the help as well guys, i knew there was a reason i liked this place so much:salute:

I dont suppose you have a spare/unused cable from a kit you fitted i could buy from you jb0o?
Thanks for the help as well guys, i knew there was a reason i liked this place so much:salute:

Think I've got one you can have mate from the kit I bought and didn't need it.

If I can find it I'll PM you for your address.

Reactions: evilbane and a8 tech back
hi

i fitted a retro cruise to my 06 A3 and when I stripped the cowling down , I too had a simular problem. I noticed that there was already a wire in the plug (pin 13), therefore did not require the extra wiring. I just remapped the ecu to accept the cruise and everything was fine.

got 1. quick question. got my cruise retrofit parts supplied, and since my car is facelift 2009 s3 with fbmfsw do i have to conect that wire that is in the box, or just mount the new part and recode it with vcds? thanks

got 1. quick question. got my cruise retrofit parts supplied, and since my car is facelift 2009 s3 with fbmfsw do i have to conect that wire that is in the box, or just mount the new part and recode it with vcds? thanks

No, you won't need that wire !

Good luck with the mod.

S. let me know how you get on, was thinking of doing this but didnt know how easy hard/involving it would be

Great!!
probably will try to do it today.

Make sure you have the most up to date VCDS. On facelift A3's to code Cruise its either Byte 6 Bit 1 or Byte 5 bit 5.

Before last week the Byte 5, Bit 5 had no text to it but a new update has sorted this out so you should be alright!

so got it done in one hour. no wires needed. just new stalk and cover. coding (couldn't do it with vcds912 so managed to do it with 10.6).
it works great, no errors. had steering wheel and abs lights on for few seconds did lock to lock steering wheel turn and it went away.
thanks for help!