JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My SPORT to S-LINE Conversion (Part No's, Prices & Tips included)...

6th Gear

Status
    just out of interest, why did you change your wheels if you're thinking of changing them again in the future?
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    just out of interest, why did you change your wheels if you're thinking of changing them again in the future?
    The wheels were changed right at the beginning of ownership (about a year ago)... before I had any thoughts of bumper conversions etc.

When I got the car I hated the Sport alloys and always liked the look of the s-lines. That was going to be my one and only 'mod' to the car.
    But as mentioned in my first post, the novelty of different wheels soon wore off.

Some months later the rest of the car's looks started to irritate me, so I started thinking about more changes.

Now those changes have been made it has highlighted the need for more changes (it's a chain reaction), so now I have to scratch those itches too.

6th Gear

Status
    get BBS Pescaras
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

5th Gear

Status
    get BBS Pescaras
    can i have yours pleeeeeeeeease
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

6th Gear

Status
    no lol

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    get BBS Pescaras
    I've never really liked BBS wheels enough to want to buy them. I don't know if its cos I see them everywhere or what.

I'm planning on bringing 3-spokes back!

Nah. I'm not.

6th Gear

Status
    What rims are you favouring?

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    What rims are you favouring?
    Not really sure yet. Fat 5s I'm loving, but hard to get hold of and not MASSIVELY different from what i've already got.

Gonna have a good look through the "Rimz" thread.

Suggestions are welcome also...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I've never really liked BBS wheels enough to want to buy them. I don't know if its cos I see them everywhere or what.

I'm planning on bringing 3-spokes back!

Nah. I'm not.
    lol. Pescaras are rare enough on the 8P tho. when they released the Ed30 they removed them from the 8P options list

RS4s are nice

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    BE Wheels

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jb0o View Post
    BE Wheels
    the TT-RS ones? nah not for me

the 19" Star design TT-S wheels are nice enough tho

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

5th Gear

Status
    no lol
    LOL
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

Neutral

Status
    Pics???

Haha, the interior is bottom of the list. If i'm honest, I care more about what people see on the outside than what I see on the inside!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Nice mate. What did it start off life as?? A Sport??

Neutral

Status
    Nice mate. What did it start off life as?? A Sport??
    Yes, its a 2005 3.2 Quattro Sport

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have been collecting parts during the winter to do the s-line conversion. I have the front parts sorted and I'm just waiting it gets a bit warmer here.

Next I'm looking for the rear parts. I havent found an answer to my question even tho I have been searching this forum. I'm a bit confused about the rear diffuser part number and the inserts. So my question is that if I buy this bumper (which I think is the same as in the first post except this is for sportback): AUDI A3 8P4 FACELIFT STOSTANGE STOFNGER HINTEN 2008- | eBay do I need anything else than the rear diffusor? Anyone know what is the part number of the rear diffusor? I mean the same one as aythree installed in his car. Thanks for the help.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pyralid View Post
    I have been collecting parts during the winter to do the s-line conversion. I have the front parts sorted and I'm just waiting it gets a bit warmer here.

Next I'm looking for the rear parts. I havent found an answer to my question even tho I have been searching this forum. I'm a bit confused about the rear diffuser part number and the inserts. So my question is that if I buy this bumper (which I think is the same as in the first post except this is for sportback): AUDI A3 8P4 FACELIFT STOSTANGE STOFNGER HINTEN 2008- | eBay do I need anything else than the rear diffusor? Anyone know what is the part number of the rear diffusor? I mean the same one as aythree installed in his car. Thanks for the help.
    If you want the same diffuser that I have then you don't need any inserts. The inserts/trims are only for the S-line/Black Edition diffuser.

So to answer your question.... if you go for the bumper you have linked to and want to get the same diffuser as me, then that is all you'll need... bumper and diffuser.

Sorry, I can't find the part number anywhere for my diffuser. I've written it down somewhere, just can't find it. It should turn up though.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok, thanks. Thats what I thought, just got a little confused. If someone has the part number for the facelift diffuser that would be great!

Neutral

Status
    thanks for the info, has been really helpful! i have done the front conversion now, but would anyone happen to know the part number for the S Line Badge for 2006 Sline Grille (not original standard grill) because they all seam to be different. - thanks

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a5hl3y2k6 View Post
    thanks for the info, has been really helpful! i have done the front conversion now, but would anyone happen to know the part number for the S Line Badge for 2006 Sline Grille (not original standard grill) because they all seam to be different. - thanks
    I think the part no. you are looking for is 4F0 853 736A. Price approx 20.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Mate, just seen this thread and it is absolute mint!! And a great write up i must say. You have done a pukka job, half convinced to doing mine now. Where do you live mate, i am in north london, enfield, fancy a meet pretty soon, maybe you can give me some pointers on mine?
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    Mate, just seen this thread and it is absolute mint!! And a great write up i must say. You have done a pukka job, half convinced to doing mine now. Where do you live mate, i am in north london, enfield, fancy a meet pretty soon, maybe you can give me some pointers on mine?
    Cheers mate.
    Been meaning to do a bit of an update actually, just got one last thing to do first.

I'm not too far from Enfield, I'm just down the north circ in east London.

Yeah, a meet is all good. There's a few of us from London going to ADI (Audi Drivers International) in October. You should come along too. There is a thread at the top of this 8P section and one in the meets section. Get your name down mate!

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    May well see you there mate, have not been on one of these days yet, sounds good fella.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I've only been on one, just a little one in NW London with a few of us from here. ACE Cafe.. there's a thread on here somewhere with a few pics.
    It was good to put faces to names etc.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Excellent write-up and well detailed mate. Will be popping back when i get my S-line conversion in motion..

Neutral

Status
    great build up thread.
    Hope to see more from you.
    Good job !!

don't stop grab an Audi

1st Gear

Status
    This is class, great write up!!!!!
    Ibis - BE 170 S-Tronic

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by H17E5H View Post
    Excellent write-up and well detailed mate. Will be popping back when i get my S-line conversion in motion..
    Quote Originally Posted by cata_adc View Post
    great build up thread.
    Hope to see more from you.
    Good job !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhymesaka View Post
    This is class, great write up!!!!!
    Thanks guys.

More pics to come by the end of the week

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    UPDATE:

Ok, so I've just got back from having the car lowered on Eibach Sportlines (50mm/40mm drop).
    I dropped it off at AMD at 8am this morning, went for a McD's breakfast, then passed the time watching Planet of the Apes in the cinema, 10am showing, I was the only person in the whole place!

The car was ready by 2pm so picked it up and drove it back from Lakeside and straight away could feel improvements in the ride. As you would expect there is a lot less body roll on cornering and going around roundabouts. In fact it makes you realise how bad stock (Sport) suspension is when it comes to this.
    Hard acceleration from standstill feels improved also. The front doesn't seem to lift (or is it that the rear isn't squatting).

I'm still running my 50k miles stock dampers but for now it doesn't feel crashy or bouncy at all, it just feels solid.
    I can notice that the ride is slightly firmer but it still feels comfortable enough.
    I guess time will tell how well my dampers deal with the drop, but for now I'm happy.

Looks-wise, the drop is already making the car look a lot better. The rear looks as though its down as far as it needs to go, but the front could do with about 5-10mm of settling in.

So, a good job by AMD Essex, and a good price. It cost £299 all in, which included the springs, fitting and laser alignment. I also found my old top mounts in my boot with my old springs, so I guess they replaced these too. Maybe its part of their spring offer as well??

I'm going to let it all settle in to get down to its permanent height and give it a wash and then I'll put up some photos.

Last edited by Ads; 8th September 2011 at 17:00.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    You tease! Get some pics up sooner!!!!!
    55_UK likes this.

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Good price ! get the pics up man !

Y.N.W.A.

Status
    Ah nice one Ads! been waiting for this update. Also any news on your new rims or you planning on keeping silent about those too?

BTW...a very helpful write up as per usual, I always wondered what difference would be seen after going from stock to custom. Am I right in saying that springs are better than coilies if you want a comfortable ride?

Lastly, commence the pic whoring please!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    The rims are on. Have been for a few weeks. To be honest, I wish I'd left them off until yesterday because the novelty of them has kind of worn off for me now.

Yep, apparently springs are more comfortable than coilovers. I can't confirm this though as I'm yet to even sit in a coilover'd car.
    According to the guys at AMD AP coilovers are pretty comfortable though.

I took the car over quite a few speedbumps on the way home and it feels fine. No better or worse than my Sport springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    You tease! Get some pics up sooner!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingy. View Post
    get the pics up man !
    Quote Originally Posted by 55_UK View Post
    commence the pic whoring please!
    OK!!!! I'll put some up.

.....in a few days.

2nd Gear

Status
    Come on ads, you can't do this to us...

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Get pics of dude!! I've been waiting for this for ages too! Bet it looks mint with the new wheels.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
    Come on ads, you can't do this to us...
    Sorry man, but it neeeeeeeds a good wash too.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    Get pics of dude!! I've been waiting for this for ages too! Bet it looks mint with the new wheels.
    Hmmmm... I might have to PM you a sneak preview when I take some pics, because without your help the wheels would still be in a small village somewhere up north!

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads (formerly aythree) View Post

Hmmmm... I might have to PM you a sneak preview when I take some pics, because without your help the wheels would still be in a small village somewhere up north!
    Now that's a damn good idea!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I took advantage of the bit of nice weather we had at the weekend and snapped a few photos.

I've only covered about 40 miles on the new springs so I'm still expecting a bit more settling. Posting these photos I've noticed that in a few of them it looks a little higher than it actually does is in the flesh.
    But to be honest I'm more than happy with the height as it is, so if it stays where it is then its cool with me. I've already caught a couple of speedbumps so hope it doesn't drop too much lower.

Anyway, enough of the talk..............

Can see from this shot that the front wheels are nice and flush with the body, the rears could do with sitting slightly further out.

And the last couple... how she started (minus the Sport alloys), and then how she looks now...

So that's it for the exterior. I'm NOT doing anything else!

.....apart from 5-10mm spacers at the rear, maybe.

....and tints.
    Last edited by Ads; 12th September 2011 at 14:38.
    55_UK likes this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Nice rear lights

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Nice rear lights
    Yeah, they're aight.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast