audi a3 2004 steering wheel to newer 2006+ steering wheel with airbag what do i need?

chrisy t

Reaction score
why didnt you check first?

From what ive been told you cant get the airbag to work unless you change some of the wiring as the 2004 is a single stage and the one you have brought is a dual stage airbag.

Well i kind of thought i could just sell it again if it wouldnt work, i thought it was a good price for £180 as i usualy see them at like £200+

I realy like the wheel though so its a shame if i cant change it!

You need the CU and slip-ring and as said two wires need changing, there's another thread on here at the minute about it!

My advice would be to buy a multi-function wheel, use the airbag you've just bought and get that wheel sold on! As really better killing two birds with one stone?

You need the CU and slip-ring and as said two wires need changing, there's another thread on here at the minute about it!

My advice would be to buy a multi-function wheel, use the airbag you've just bought and get that wheel sold on! As really better killing two birds with one stone?

You can't just change the control unit because all the airbags in your car are single stage and the wheel/airbag you have just bought is dual stage. If you change the cu to make the driver airbag work, then the others might not work !

It depends on what risk you are prepared to take.

Did you ask what the part number of the control unit was ?

EDIT: by the way, the airbag is worth about £150 and the wheel about £30 so you paid the right price ! A mfsw to fit that airbag is worth about £130

Last edited:
i see. Well i guess i have just waisted my money then!! I dont fancy going to all the hastle and finding that some of my airbags wont work!! will i getmy money back if i sell it on do you think? what is the control unit worth? it says it comes with steering wheel + airbag + control unit. wheel £30 and airag £150, so what about the control unit?

Ok i have decided not to go ahead with the whole steering wheel change, it is to much hastle and i dont think its right to go messing with things that are there to save your life. I guess i need to do a little more research before i go diving in head first and "buy blind" to quote what mike says! lol. I spoke to the guy on ebay and he was great about it. He give me a full refund and i sent him £5 for his troubles and my appologies!

Cheers

Chris

Ok i have decided not to go ahead with the whole steering wheel change, it is to much hastle and i dont think its right to go messing with things that are there to save your life. I guess i need to do a little more research before i go diving in head first and "buy blind" to quote what mike says! lol. I spoke to the guy on ebay and he was great about it. He give me a full refund and i sent him £5 for his troubles and my appologies!

Cheers

Chris

The boy done good - right decision imo! :icon_thumright:

There are some retrofit companies that claim SCCM '8P0 953 549 F' with slipring 'D' will work fine when coverting single to dual stage.

Some guy did have an accident and his airbag didnt go off - he had the above installed.

I bought a '07 MFSW on ebay the other week for £50; impulse buy. But after extensive research, i think Ill stick to what works..