a3 tdi multiple problems!! (doing my head in now please help)

gizm0

Reaction score
hi guys put a few posts about my gf's 2004 audi a3 tdi, firstly it is juddering when stationary, as suggested on here the EGR valve has been cleaned out and all pipes also cleaned out and still hasn't made much difference but the car does run a bit smoother. so any other tips we could try?

it had an MOT a few weeks ago and the guy said there pas two fault codes on there....

engine coolant sensor on radiator outlet C983 signal too high: P2185
now after a quick google we have replaced the coolant sensor on the right side of the engine block but cant find the other sensor as there is apparently another one? if anyone could point me in the right direction of this id be grateful so i can replace it.

the fans are also coming on everytime the car runs within a few minutes of running they are at full spin and dont stop for a few minutes after the car is turned off, i read about fans not working so i checked and only one of them is running (passenger side) could anyone shed any more light on this please?

last but not least im sure, the other fault code off the garage was...
exhaust gas temp sensor 2 bank 2 g449 electrical P1961
spoke to a guy at ford and he said its a lamba sensor?? iv looked on the car and cant find any :ermm: :unsure:

again any help/ info would be gratefully received as its starting to really annoy me now!

Dan

Last edited:
The other one is on the return from the rad down near the thermostat, I know as I need to change my one, I think that you can only do that one on a ramp.

Paul

ok cheers could i see it with the undertray off then? anyone got a diagram to guide me what im looking for?

cheers

ive managed to find the other temp sensor....man it looks a pig to replace! lol

iv been told they dont either but if they dont then why is it giving me this fault or does it mean something else?

thanks

Those two fault codes do not appear on the Ross-Tech list.

Think you need to scan it with VCDS to get more info.

how do you clean the egr valve?
and where is it lol

juddering can occur when your flywheel is on its way out, however you have fault codes so check them first.

yeah as i said iv found the second sensor so ill change the one at the front of the engine but cant get my ehad around the fault code....
exhaust gas temp sensor 2 bank 2 g449 . electrical. P1961

yeah as i said iv found the second sensor so ill change the one at the front of the engine but cant get my ehad around the fault code....
exhaust gas temp sensor 2 bank 2 g449 . electrical. P1961
My car judders on tickover ,I hope its not the flywheel its doing my head in when im stationary in traffic .Its like being in a vibrating chair .

Mine judders on tickover sometimes, you can see the rev needle fluctuating by about 100rpm. Doesnt always do it though so Im assuming its not the flywheel?

hi guys, that juddering will be the down to the dual mass flywheel wearing. Its turning into another common fault now these cars are ageing. fit a solid flywheel, they are better.

if you put the clutch in n juddering stops its the flywheel, otherwise its fine

Nope mines the same when the clutch is depressed.sorry to highjack .Could it be the injector fault its smooth rapid and no other faults

mine does it more so when warm and i have changed just about every thing. if you put the air con on does it stop ?

i think that its lack of fuel on tick over which is aN ecu fault ? as when i put air con on it dumps more fuel in and idles fine

thinking of getting my ecu tested before my remap....

Last edited:
Well when the clutch is pressed it doesn't make any difference, so its not the flywheel so for now im going to change the other temp sensor and go from there but can anyone shed anymore light on the lamb fault code please?

Sorry mate - can't believe those fault codes. You need to have it scanned on VCDS.

Can you find someone near you who could help ? List of members prepared to help and whereabouts they are is shown on NHN signature page.

I still don't think there is a Lambda sensor on the BKD engine. It is a BKD engine isn't it >

2bh I don't know anything about these engines too many sensors etc for my liking lol what do you mean bkd?

The guy who read the codes said he done it on a propped computer n he wrote it down for me word for word....

BKD is the engine code for a 2.0 litre 140bhp direct injection turbo diesel engine. The inside front cover of the service book will confirm and if that's not available the same sticker is in the spare wheel well. The 140bhp engine does not have a lambda sensor but the 170 bhp engine does.

I dare say the guy had a 'proper' computer but the car needs scanning with VCDS software to get the correct diagnosis.

""""""""""""""""""spoke to a guy at ford and he said its a lamba sensor??""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""2

you said it all there

The juddering could be the intake manifold flap, had this on mine, replaced it and now its gone. When you turn the engine off if there's a shudder then that usually points to a faulty/failing intake manifold flap. You should not feel any vibrations when turning the car off.

There is no lambda sensor on the bkd engine iirc, I have 2 of the buggers.

Yeah front coolant sensor requires small hands for sure or large ones that require broken fingers :)

ive had new clutch and flywheel and cleaned the egr valve and i still got judder ive also noticed mine does it when at lights when parked uphill

i was wondering engine mounts might be the problem for me

sorry forgot to mention that she's had the injector loom changed as someone suggested this before but made no difference, shes also had the fuel filter changed because it was black and all sludged up and had the system flushed....

Not sure at the min because the gf has the car at work but I'll look later n report back :)

ANY BODY which has a rough idle when warm can u please do the following.

check with vag com the injectors the amount of fuel which is going in i have found the more fuel goes in when cold or air con in the amount is 3mg - 5mg but once warm the faul mg drops to 1.5 -2.5 which is the probelm

ANY BODY which has a rough idle when warm can u please do the following.

check with vag com the injectors the amount of fuel which is going in i have found the more fuel goes in when cold or air con in the amount is 3mg - 5mg but once warm the faul mg drops to 1.5 -2.5 which is the probelm

Are you saying that you can adjust the amount of fuel going through the injectors using VCDS ?

No he is saying comparing measuring blocks when cold or aircon on vs measuring blocks when warm.

no i wish u could adjust it ....

you have to check measuring blocks not sure which ones as sold me vag com till i get another next week.

one of them will show you the total injected fuel going in and another will show you how much each injector is pushing in i might have a print scrren pic on laptop will check later

No he is saying comparing measuring blocks when cold or aircon on vs measuring blocks when warm.

And if the results are not in accordance with normal parameters can alterations be made with VCDS ?

He said 'please do the following' intimating that something could be done about it !

If adjustments aren't possible, how can the problem be corrected ?

Mine judders and I have VCDS I will plug it in and try to make it judder - only does it occasionally though!
Highly annoying and weird!
Will try tonight!

measuring block 01 shows total injection quantity i have found it has to be 3.0 min or ticks over rough..

measuring block 013 shows each injector and amount of fuel going in ...

when cold total injection quantity is fine but once warm may drop to 1.5 - 2.5

also when idles rough put air con on and see what total quantity goes up to.

Last edited:
And if the results are not in accordance with normal parameters can alterations be made with VCDS ?

He said 'please do the following' intimating that something could be done about it !

If adjustments aren't possible, how can the problem be corrected ?

He actually said

"please do the following.

check with vag com.... "

check first and report back...i believe the fueling can be turned up on idle by a mapper which is my next step

use to do this on my pd 130 mk 4

He actually said

Yes, I realise that, but if, after checking, the results show it's not within the design parameters then what I was getting at is what can be done about it ?

No point in finding something wrong (ish) and being unable to do anything about it without having modifications done ?

I was really trying to find what the solution is to the problem.

there are many faults that can cause judder at idle ive replaced just about all of them i think..