HELP! MY10 S3 Broken Down!!

eric426

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had my S3 for 9 months, 9500 on the clock. On the way home last thurs night after work, suddenly EPC came on and all power gone!! Tried to start engine, only hear turning noise but engine won't start. Audi assist towed car back to dealer the morning after. I was told I will get a call, but still no call on monday. So I called them and tried to find out what was the problem, they told me that some parts are on order as 20 odd parts are needed including CAM SHAFT :faint:!!!! Still not told what the problem was and only told it is covered under warranty!! What shall I do??? BTW I am now stuck with a rubbish Astra courtesy car!! :sos:

what should you do? Well it sounds like they are fixing it under warranty.... so you do nothing

except wonder why the hell it has failed after such a short mileage...

could the cam belt have snapped/slipped

I thought the car is using chain?? makes me worried about future reliability...... has anyone experienced similar?

If you bought it new then I'd be demanding a new car, a better courtesy car while you wait and compensation. An engine rebuild will decrease the value should anyone find out, and a car should be working for longer than 9 months without a catastrophic break down.

Get in touch with trading standards. I'm sure they'll back you up on this.

If you bought it new then I'd be demanding a new car, a better courtesy car while you wait and compensation. An engine rebuild will decrease the value should anyone find out, and a car should be working for longer than 9 months without a catastrophic break down.

Get in touch with trading standards. I'm sure they'll back you up on this.
I cannot see how a rebuild under warranty will de- value the car. Parts fail, it's part of life sadly.

The courtesy car is a poor show, as it should be like for like. I also cannot see what trading standards can do as the car is being fixed without hassle, and it's not like it's a long standing problem or chain of problems.

when you get a courtesy call asking how happy you were with your recent service i would complain that they didnt ring you when they said they would to inform you of the actual problem and also when asked they still didn't give you the diagnosis, just said were ordering a camshaft.... Also as such a recent customer who bought a brand spanking new Audi S3 i would complain that a Vauxhal Astra courtesy Car is an insult to the money you invested not only in your car but the Audi brand

The odds are, if they supplied a Vauxhall, they don't have any courtesy cars left. Why else would they supply a competitors car?

the astra is rented by Audi assist for 48 hrs, then Audi will carry on renting the car until car is fixed......

fuk that go to the dealers and pass them the keys for the astra and demand a audi if they havent got 1 tell them to hire 1

Does anyone understand that things like this are forced to happen with the number of units that have been manufactured? It could be anything from the failure of a third party component such as the timing belt or a faulty machined part. All the talk of hitting them with trading standards, demanding compensation and going and 'handing the keys back and demanding an Audi'. Give me a break. They recover the car, get you mobile and sort the car out asap and people still find something to moan about.

As for things that could have happened, with you saying they have ordered a camshaft, it may be the lobe for the high pressure fuel pump may have failed. Common problem on the TFSI engine range but not usually at this mileage. Another usual thing for the car not running would be the tumble flaps in the inlet manifold failing and blocking the air inlet in to the engine (a very common problem on TFSI's).

I hate to suggest that the most likely cause of the problem is failure of the timing belt, this can allow the pistons the contact the valves and force them back up in to the head with the cam in the open position therefore breaking the cam. The parts needed would be head gasket set, new valves that are bent and possibly guides, followers etc etc. Less than unfortunate on a car of this year and mileage but as I said, it's not the problem you have to judge Audi on because we all know of their usual excellent reliability in comparison with other car manufacturers but it is the way the problem is dealt with.

Good luck...

I cannot see how a rebuild under warranty will de- value the car. Parts fail, it's part of life sadly.

The courtesy car is a poor show, as it should be like for like. I also cannot see what trading standards can do as the car is being fixed without hassle, and it's not like it's a long standing problem or chain of problems.

i certainly would think twice about buying a car having a major overhaul whether it was under warranty with 9.5k on the clock or a 150k miler.

it's not about whether the car is being fixed or not, Audi have supplied a car of unsatisfactory durability - an engine shouldn't munch itself after 9.5k. i'm fairly sure that his statutory rights would entitle him to return the car if he so desired. it's unlikely that Audi would agree to this upfront, and this is where trading standards come in. this would be my chosen course of action.

Thanks for the advises guys....... got the car back today, "all 4 cylinders had to be replaced together with the associated parts" were printed on the warranty work sheet. SO I asked the service advisor for more details, he then told me that the garage just fix it and doesn't tell them the problem! I know they tried their best to solve the problem, but its just not good enough!! got into the car, found the plastic cap that fit on the accelerator was undone and lying on the carpet, as I drove off I heard some noise.....sounds like a screw rolling around/under the car, so annoying and time wasting, I now have to take the car back tomorrow....... what really pee me off is that the engineer tested the car for 100 miles after the repair and didn't pick that up!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sounds like they hav'nt tested it then .I would be demanding a full explanation of the work carried out before even collecting it.Lets hope its sorted the problem .

"what really pee me off is that the engineer tested the car for 100 miles after the repair.............." A HUNDRED MILES!!! a tad excesive! wow...a hundred miles...

My S3 broke down after 300 miles and needed a new mechatronic unit!!! I said I didn't want the car back and wanted a brand new equivilent replacement. Got straight into an A5 Cab and had a new S3 10 days later.

That's the sort of service you should expect!