Were is the CAT on audi a3 2.0 tdi 8p?

chrisy t

Reaction score
Higuys, ive had a few posts on here today but im just wondering were the cat is on the 2.0 tdi a3 8p? Ive looked under the car like in the middle, and there is no middle box and i cant see a cat, i can only se 2 clamps were it looks like the cat might have been taken out but im not sure, Is the cat quite far from the manifold r is it petty close? Also will it fail MOT without cat? Car hardly smokes at all!!

Cheers

Chrisy t

Last edited:
dont know where it is on a tdi but mine has 2 cats one at the front on the down pipe and one in the normal place where they usually are on most cars dont ask me why its got 2 cats i dont know stupid design if you ask me

On that engine (don't know the code) I think you have what is called a 'start catalyst' within the front downpipe and a 'catalytic convertor' in the middle section.

BLP the engine code is , but yeah i think your right mate bmw's have them also on the petrol engines they make like a hair dryer sound when first started on bmw's

I was looking atgetting rid of it on the tdi, can i do that? Will at pass MOT and make any differnce to sound or perfrmance? Also should there be a middle box on mine?

Hope it doesn't need replacing mate - front bit is £625 and centre bit is £750 !!
nope had the middle bit done last year but i do need a new lamba sensor number 1 is gone i think there is 3 on there , the middle cat was too expensive to get one from audi as £625 is painfull amount of money to pay so i went and had one made in stainless steel for £275 fitted and it was a sports cat for no extra charge they were normally £400 but they had a sale on talk about good timing lol

Don't know about getting rid or passing MOT without it but you have a front box and a rear box. No middle box.

nope had the middle bit done last year but i do need a new lamba sensor number 1 is gone i think there is 3 on there , the middle cat was too expensive to get one from audi as £625 is painfull amount of money to pay so i went and had one made in stainless steel for £275 fitted and it was a sports cat for no extra charge they were normally £400 but they had a sale on talk about good timing lol

Nice one !!

Here's the cat on an 2.0TDi on an 8P

Cat.jpg

Its the section at the front end of this image, 1st pic is blurred

centersection.jpg

From what I read when you remove it the car becomes louder, but in a good way supposedly... Also better MPG. I am yet to do this as well as hybrid the turbo.

If you want more power then a remap with less restrictive back box is the way to go.

I should add your car wont look like this underneath as I've had a custom straight through exhaust with 1 backbox fitted

Last edited:
Yeah its bolted onto the turbo which inturn is part of the exhaust manifold as 1 piece on a BKD anyway.

Its as Mike says all in one cat/downpipe which then has the stand of bars that bolt to the subframe iirc, then goes along underneath where it has a join, real pita to get out between subframe, my decat pipe arrives tomorrow/tuesday with luck.

Diesels are not tested on emmisions like petrol cars so decat will pass fine, mine does every year :) larger downpipe and decat will help a little with power but not much on a standard turbo. I'd say get a downpipe+decat pipe (milltek or THS) and milltek cat-back. Gives a deeper sound but nothing like what a turbo petrol car makes with a 3" downpipe :( still though i like it :D