EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Were is the CAT on audi a3 2.0 tdi 8p?

Higuys, ive had a few posts on here today but im just wondering were the cat is on the 2.0 tdi a3 8p? Ive looked under the car like in the middle, and there is no middle box and i cant see a cat, i can only se 2 clamps were it looks like the cat might have been taken out but im not sure, Is the cat quite far from the manifold r is it petty close? Also will it fail MOT without cat? Car hardly smokes at all!!

Cheers

Chrisy t
    Last edited by chrisy t; 27th March 2011 at 21:33.

2. # ADS
    ADS

events moderator

Status
    dont know where it is on a tdi but mine has 2 cats one at the front on the down pipe and one in the normal place where they usually are on most cars dont ask me why its got 2 cats i dont know stupid design if you ask me
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

Fossie

Status
    On the BKD engine its bolted direct to the exhaust manifold and is integral with the downpipe

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    On the BKD engine its bolted direct to the exhaust manifold and is integral with the downpipe
    i think thats the same way the front one is on my car

Fossie

Status
    On that engine (don't know the code) I think you have what is called a 'start catalyst' within the front downpipe and a 'catalytic convertor' in the middle section.

events moderator

Status
    BLP the engine code is , but yeah i think your right mate bmw's have them also on the petrol engines they make like a hair dryer sound when first started on bmw's

Fossie

Status
    Hope it doesn't need replacing mate - front bit is 625 and centre bit is 750 !!

1st Gear

Status
    I was looking atgetting rid of it on the tdi, can i do that? Will at pass MOT and make any differnce to sound or perfrmance? Also should there be a middle box on mine?

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Hope it doesn't need replacing mate - front bit is 625 and centre bit is 750 !!
    nope had the middle bit done last year but i do need a new lamba sensor number 1 is gone i think there is 3 on there , the middle cat was too expensive to get one from audi as 625 is painfull amount of money to pay so i went and had one made in stainless steel for 275 fitted and it was a sports cat for no extra charge they were normally 400 but they had a sale on talk about good timing lol

Fossie

Status
    Don't know about getting rid or passing MOT without it but you have a front box and a rear box. No middle box.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fnmrst View Post
    nope had the middle bit done last year but i do need a new lamba sensor number 1 is gone i think there is 3 on there , the middle cat was too expensive to get one from audi as 625 is painfull amount of money to pay so i went and had one made in stainless steel for 275 fitted and it was a sports cat for no extra charge they were normally 400 but they had a sale on talk about good timing lol
    Nice one !!

5th Gear

Status
    Here's the cat on an 2.0TDi on an 8P

Its the section at the front end of this image, 1st pic is blurred

From what I read when you remove it the car becomes louder, but in a good way supposedly... Also better MPG. I am yet to do this as well as hybrid the turbo.

If you want more power then a remap with less restrictive back box is the way to go.

I should add your car wont look like this underneath as I've had a custom straight through exhaust with 1 backbox fitted
    Last edited by ~RS~; 27th March 2011 at 23:17.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah its bolted onto the turbo which inturn is part of the exhaust manifold as 1 piece on a BKD anyway.

Its as Mike says all in one cat/downpipe which then has the stand of bars that bolt to the subframe iirc, then goes along underneath where it has a join, real pita to get out between subframe, my decat pipe arrives tomorrow/tuesday with luck.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    Diesels are not tested on emmisions like petrol cars so decat will pass fine, mine does every year larger downpipe and decat will help a little with power but not much on a standard turbo. I'd say get a downpipe+decat pipe (milltek or THS) and milltek cat-back. Gives a deeper sound but nothing like what a turbo petrol car makes with a 3" downpipe still though i like it :D

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

events moderator

Status
    on the mot's they test the smoke levels i think on oil burners as far as i know mate thats all