Retrofit Xenon Lighing to My A3

jnash123

Reaction score
Okay so after trawling the web, this forum and getting some advice from a few nice guys on here, ive decided im going do the oem route (no other choice)

What exactly do i need

Headlight
Bulb
Ballasts

Is that everything i need?

Is it just a straight swap when it comes to the wiring?

I know there is a setting in the Vagcom that needs to be updated also.

are there any tutorials on line?

Also i know i need a levelling motor thingy, i have that as a automatic feature in my car already, what parts do i need to replace that and get that working also (if i want to get it :blush:)

Any help will be great,

having a look on ebay i found this..

audi a3 s3 headlight xenon pair on eBay (end time 27-Mar-11 21:08:37 BST)

Would this be all i needed to at least get it working (without levelling?)

My car is a (Facelift) A3 2005 TDI Sport Quattro

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

Uh no, those headlights are for the 8L A3 97-03, not 8P.

When you say you have levelling already, do you mean the 0-3 dial by your headlight as this is not the same at all mate.

I fit these systems to cars if ever interested.

Ahh thanks, yeah i do mean that,

what components make up the self levelling? and how easy is it to fit....

Depends on your level of expertise mate

could all this be taken from a a3's with all the bits as standard>?

I'm sure all the parts could be taken from a car with Xenons as standard, would require leveling sensor (which I believe is attached to the axle) and wiring looms, parts for the headlight powerwash system, then relevent coding etc. I think you'd need to be pretty nifty technically to set it up on a non-Xenon car, but I know it has been done on other marques of vehicle. It could work out to be rather expensive too. My last car was an Astra VXR and there was a guy on the VXR forum who sold the full system, lights, self leveling etc for around 900.00 GBP plus fitting, which is more than the original facotory option. HTH :)

Paula x

Last edited:
Nige did you say you can install the full xenon headlight ? including wiring, leveling, the works etc.? thanks

Yes I have installed the system & if you can find the CORRECT sensors for your car used then yes can fit to your car & yes needs some savvy to fit tbh.

I retrofitted xenons but didnt install auto levelling and washers.

I know thats not what ur supposed to do but oh well.

Just bought a set of xenons off ebay, put a set of wiring adapters in and fitted them.

If you search around a guy did a write up how to remove the front bumper etc that you need to do swap the lights.

Im not the most gifted at this kinda thing and managed it with the help of a friend.

I retrofitted xenons but didnt install auto levelling and washers.

I know thats not what ur supposed to do but oh well.

Just bought a set of xenons off ebay, put a set of wiring adapters in and fitted them.

If you search around a guy did a write up how to remove the front bumper etc that you need to do swap the lights.

Im not the most gifted at this kinda thing and managed it with the help of a friend.

Interesting, Have you had an MOT yet? Also will the dial for the halogens not manually be able to control the beam pattern no more if you dont have auto self level.

So for something as basic as this conversion you only needed the wiring harness and thats all? Plug and play no chopping of wires

Yes i have had an MOT. The lights were a slight issue but not because i dont have auto self level but because i think my nearside headlight is a LHD unit :mad:! I set the level of my lights using the adjusters which are on the headlights themselves. The control in the car doesnt do anything. The technician said the angle of the lights etc was fine but because it is a LHD unit the beam pattern is facing the wrong way. Thats the only issue but the car passed as i just lowered it right down so even the highest point of the beam was below the test line. I dont want to be one of these people who blind you when you are driving towards them!

Ye just wiring harness and was plug and play for me. With the exception of getting the car coded to tell it it had xenons (otherwise the wrong amount of power goes to the lights and they dont work).

Mine are just the standard xenons not bi-xenons, that may make a difference.

Mine are just the standard xenons not bi-xenons, that may make a difference.

I think it makes a big difference.

Standard xenons are pretty much plug 'n' play, bi-xenons however need a bit more work.

If i were to buy the headlamps, bulbs and ballasts, im guessing i would just need the harness to plug it in?

where do i get that from ?

Thanks

Last edited:
The lense is different inside, clearly different.

Hi All,

I'm actually looking to get this set up on my car also...

its an Audi A3 56 plate S line 2.0T

It has auto headlights and I'm just thinking if this will have any issues first of all with my coming home lights feature?

But second to that, I'd be looking at fitting just the standard Xenon headlights, would I still need to get those coded in?

Is anyone near Hertfordshire that would be happy to PM me for further info?

Thanks,

Aaron

Welcome to the site Aaron.

We can install the systems requested, I'll ping a PM for you to reply to :)

Reactions: Bill tong
Hi I'm new to this forum looking for any advice or help need to retro fit bi xeon drl headlights to 2010 audi a3 sport currently with standard hallogen drl fitted I have already purchased headlights looking for someone who can fit and code for a cost :):)

Got your PM about to reply :)

Reactions: Bill tong
Hello guys I need help retro fitting some xenons to my 8p NHN is this you're trade I wonder where you are located and how much something like this could cost thanks for your time Bil

Hey bill, send me a pm please to which I'll reply to this.