Gearknob and handbrake

sachen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

tried to search for this but cant find it on the forums, so apologies if this has already been discussed...

I have a a3 8p 6 speed manual and I have just bought a S3 Gearknob and Handbrake cover...

Does anyone know how to get the old ones off!? I cant seem to get the clip off the gearknob, and i dont know how the handbrake cover detaches?

Thanks!

to detach the old handbrake cover you need to stick something long and thin (like a knitting needle) up the back and then pull the long thin item upwards. there's a "latch" that once you push upwards properly the handbrake cover will slide right off. if you're using a lot of force, you've not engaged the latch. it comes off really easily when you're doing it right.

gearknob i'm not sure about i'm afraid as i've got a DSG

to detach the old handbrake cover you need to stick something long and thin (like a knitting needle) up the back and then pull the long thin item upwards. there's a "latch" that once you push upwards properly the handbrake cover will slide right off. if you're using a lot of force, you've not engaged the latch. it comes off really easily when you're doing it right.

Is this quite tricky to do then? ie to get the latch bit right?

no not at all. there's a member on here who i swear has posted a workshop manual on how to do it. it's a 2 second job, literally.

Pull off the lower gator trim. It is stubborn so use something flat to help get it going. Pull the gaitor up over the gearnob forskin styley and remove the exposed securing band. Off it pops :)