What is wrong ! A3 2.0FSi

mattysupra

Big BHP!
Reaction score
Right, cut things short. Car keeps cutting out and has misfire sometimes when cold. It now has a new issue that i think is related. (guessing coil pack issue)

If you want to read over the thread about it cutting out (low revs) then it is here - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/110882-a3-2-0-fsi-engine-issue.html

However, the new issue!

Driving car down motorway and all of a sudden looses all power. Like you have turned the ignition off. Does not matter how much harder you press teh accelerator pedal it makes no difference.

BUT! if you take your foot all the way of the accelerator and press it again the car goes back to normal? It has done this 4 times in the last week :banghead:

P.s the car has been to Audi for diagnostic scan x2 and they said nothing is wrong with the car, "its normal to do that " LOL (the car is in tenerife not the u.k)

i know that there's a coil pack recall on all FSI engines. get the dealership to look into that - maybe that's the problem?

Had my coil pack done as part of service - Audi recalling as technician said few instances of loosing power and cutting out so sounds like you problem. ****** of a long way to drive back though!!

lol how can they say there's nothing wrong with the car when its cutting out all the time , agree about the coilpack recall tho on all petrol engines may be linked but may be a totally different thing all together get audi to have a look at it properly tell them its defo got a problem with it otherwise why would it keep on cutting out thats not "normal" mate play hell with them

Thanks for teh replies so far.

Trust me, trying to get anything done is tenerife is near impossible.

The car has been to AUDI with reported faults and they say there is nothing wrong.

When told them that it cuts out when cold and sometimes wont start and other times it missfires they said " its because its cold! you need to rev it more"

Now dont forget that in tenerife the car is already at maybe 30c before we start it, and more to the point my A3 in England does not do this when its -15c outside.

Can someone tell me more about the coilpack issue recal problem? I can see the missfire being a coilpack but not the fact the accelerator pedal stops working or the fact the car will just turn over and not start unless you turn ignition off and back on again and then it will start fine.

Also we keep getting a beep from the dash but no warning signs on.

audi has got a massive recall on all petrol engine cars for all the coilpacks to be replaced for free phone audi and book your car in they have to do it as its a offical audi recall i dont think it will be limited to the uk tho , as regards to your car for audi to say its because its cold thats complete bull like yours over here in the uk mine has never done that because its "cold" it sounds like they are just trying to not sort out your car mate , like audi uk is the a main one for tenerife ??

audi has got a massive recall on all petrol engine cars for all the coilpacks to be replaced for free phone audi and book your car in they have to do it as its a offical audi recall i dont think it will be limited to the uk tho , as regards to your car for audi to say its because its cold thats complete bull like yours over here in the uk mine has never done that because its "cold" it sounds like they are just trying to not sort out your car mate , like audi uk is the a main one for tenerife ??

Just incase i have confused anyone. The Car was not brought from a AUDI Main Dealer. It was brought from one of Tenerifes biggest secound hand car dealers.

We have sent it back to the inhouse mechanic a few times and when they told us nothing was wrong we then took it to main dealer. Main Dealer agrees that nothing is wrong!

Trust me, they are f'ing stupid! They just seem to make things up if they dont know the fault and then agree with each other? They drive me nuts listening to there bull crap!

Im going to take a set of coilpacks with me i guess, i wonder if i claim them in this country ? ( im in the u.k at the moment)

Just incase i have confused anyone. The Car was not brought from a AUDI Main Dealer. It was brought from one of Tenerifes biggest secound hand car dealers.

We have sent it back to the inhouse mechanic a few times and when they told us nothing was wrong we then took it to main dealer. Main Dealer agrees that nothing is wrong!

Trust me, they are f'ing stupid! They just seem to make things up if they dont know the fault and then agree with each other? They drive me nuts listening to there bull crap!

Im going to take a set of coilpacks with me i guess, i wonder if i claim them in this country ? ( im in the u.k at the moment)
try to claim by giving your reg no got to be worth a shot eh , prob will not do it tho as they have to fit them but give it a crack whats the worst that can happen lol famous last words

DeJaVu, is this the same car discussed before?

I was sure you had gone there months ago when 1st discussed.

I was sure you had gone there months ago when 1st discussed.

Yes same car mate. Yes it was a couple of months ago now when it went to audi for the report that i posted in the Vagcom section.

However a new fault, car has been back in the mean time and they are still insiting that there is nothing wrong. They say this is normal as the car is 'cold' etc.

I was ready to fly out with new coil packs but the new faults dont seem like it is coilpacks to me but i think th esame issue.

Last edited:
Speculative, but of top of head if its arcking of a dodgy plug, coil then it could well be passing back a short, who knows tbh, but until you test with other parts then you'll be none the wiser, its very doubtful would be all so go there, swap 1 out at a time & test, if it has no fault codes then its a case of suck it & see with parts.

Speculative, but of top of head if its arcking of a dodgy plug, coil then it could well be passing back a short, who knows tbh, but until you test with other parts then you'll be none the wiser, its very doubtful would be all so go there, swap 1 out at a time & test, if it has no fault codes then its a case of suck it & see with parts.

would a short on the coilpacks stop the accelerator doing anything tho untill fully realised and depressed again and then the car drives fine? When it cuts out on the motorway it dont seem to missfire, it seems to loose all power, it dont matter how much more you press teh pedal it dont make ant differance. But you release teh pedal 100% and then press again and the car comes back to life and drives fine?

Like you say, suck it and see. Tenerife is a long way to go tho to suck it and see LOL. Add on the fact i wont be able to return the parts after each visit i can see this turning out to be expensive.

Have you tried another pedal?

Yeah if the coil/spark is defective then it could be feeding back through the wiring I guess, maybe hitting the ecu for split second, as I said its highly speculative as we havnt seen the car or any errors as such, so who knows.

not tried anything yet, was going to go out with a set of coilpacks and try them (today as it happens but i have stayed in the u.k and the mrs has gone over) but after the car has started this new fault i held fire on buying a set of coilpacks as i think it may be something else.

Maybe a peddal fault but then i dont think this could cause the start issues or the missfire when cold as not touching the peddal and when missfiring the pedal still works.

My problem is that the car is not in the u.k and around me when it plays up so i can simply pull over and start pulling coilpack wiring off and seeing if i can find a dodgy coilpack, Im going to be going out blind and dont want to be spending many hundreds of pounds on parts that i dont need let alone paying for multiple flights over there to guess the problem. Hence i sent the car to a main dealer to pay them to fix it! .

Im hoping someone will reply with "i know what that is"

Last edited:
right, the issue has got alot worse.

Im flying out in the next few weeks with some parts and im hoping you lot can advice what to take. So far i have a set of coil packs.

The car now will loose all power maybe 3 times over a 2 mile drive. What you do to teh accelerator dont make any difference now. My sister is telling me that the car will now be driving at 70mph and then die, she has to try and get the car to the hard shoulder, sometimes the throttle will start workinbg at 60 mph and sometimes at 30 mph etc. She says it seems to play up more when going up hill. (full tank of fuel)

Also today it has got it original fault back. Car sat running on tickover and teh revs drop and then bounce around 500rpm and then 30 secounds later the car is running perfect again.

What parts do you all recommened i fly out with.

My list so far are

1- coilpacks
2- lamba sensor
3- ???

vcds (vag-com) if poss to plug into your car to do a scan to see exactly whats wrong with it if its none of the above