A3 2.0l TDI questions :)

Sock

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing
Reaction score
Hi,

Not really posted much since I joined as Audi's are new too me and I know very little about them so I have been reading the posts and hoping to learn.

Sorry if anything I talk about below has been covered before but I don't seem to have much success with the search box.

So far I have had no real problems with the car and I'm pleased with my purchase but:

1) I have to say i am very dissapointed with the fuel consumption compared to my Mondeo as I struggle to get over 400 miles out of a tank on this even with half a tanks worth of motorway driving I have still only got 456 miles out of a tank?

2) I have the S-tronic gear box and when you pull of it kind of hesitates and then jumps forward like a manual would if you pulled the clutch up without using the accelerator ( if that makes sense? )

3) I have only recently discovered that if you put your foot down with normal pressure the peddle goes to its limit, but if you press a bit harder it goes down another inch or so. is that normal?

4) I also find it near on impossible to keep a constant speed, the only way I can sit at say 30 or 70 is to constantly keep checking the speedo and have to press or depress the peedle accordingly, if I just hold it at one point it gradually keeps accelerating!

Has anyone else had any of these issues?

I am going to call into Audi tomorrow but having had lots of bad experiences with different dealers for my past cars I am expecting them to say "that's normal" or "we can't find anything wrong"!

Lets hope Audi are more clued up about their products than Ford or Vauxhall!!! :(

Hi,

4) I also find it near on impossible to keep a constant speed, the only way I can sit at say 30 or 70 is to constantly keep checking the speedo and have to press or depress the peedle accordingly, if I just hold it at one point it gradually keeps accelerating!

Cruise control will solve that problem !

LOL yeah I'm going to find out about that tomorrow as they mentioned before its around the £240 mark to fit it.

I was just concerned as I have never had that problem before.

Plus if there is a fault then wouldn't cruise control constantly have to compensate as well?

Think I would end up getting sea sick lol

retrofit cruise control is about 150 i think

1) is yours a 170bhp or 140? I get high 50s to low 60s mpg and about 620-650 from a tank from my 140
2) don't have stronic and haven't driven one yet
3) that's a kick down all auto/dsg have this. Dads stronic S3 has this
4) Jonny on here can retrofit cruise for £149 but is doing a meet in London and Scotland soon priced at £135. Worth pm'in him username on here jb0o

Hope this helps.

How old is it? and what engine?

I struggled to see anything past 45 in my 170 (although that was a Leon) but when in my dad's 140 stronic I can get 58 all day long.

my 140:
1) I get around 450 - 500 miles, depending on how ive been driving
2) My S-tronic is smooth?
3) Its normal, when u put ur foot down that "extra inch" it makes it drop to a lower gear.
4) ive not noticed that, but i do have cruise control which I use on Mways.

Thanks folks,

Mine is the 170 but my kick down works with just a flick of the peddle? Dont have to push it to the floor?

Will feedback when spoken to audi this afternoon

Hi,
My 140 gets 45mpg on trip 2 and 50+ on trip 1.
I also used to have problems with the car constantly acellerating, even though my foot seemed to stay still.
Turns out that the pedal is more sensative in the audi than in a fiesta (who would have thought :ohmy:)

Well I have been into Audi and the guy agreed that the car isn't performing 'normally'. :(

It's booked in this coming Monday for them to give it the once over.

Some of the things he mentioned were:

They can adjust the biting point of the clutch to make it smoother on pull off and also going to see if the gear box oil needs changing as apparently the DSG box can get a bit jumpy if the oil is old?.

He is also going look into changing the fuel filter as it is coming up to 40'000 miles so its apparently due.

He couldn't really give me an answer on the creeping throttle but will look into it when he has the car for longer.

As said above the peddle itself feels fine and that extra bit is for the kick down but its not uncommon to be able to drop a gear without totally flooring it ( doesn't bother me anyway and I'm happy enough to be told its ok )

Once the car has been in I will update with anything they have to report.

Looked through the paperwork I got with the car and it had a new gear box about a year ago for a similar reason as I have reported about it slamming into gear when you pull of but also when slowing down.

Glad I still got warranty lol :)

I have recently bought my 07 140 which has done 480 miles (45mpg) on on the first tank of fuel (from full to fuel light coming on) and 522 miles (49mph) on the second tank.

This is all stop start mileage however ever very steady right foot and hardly using the turbo.

The above mpgs are from my calcs as the DIS states it's doing 55mpg ?

Anybody else experienced lower actual mugs than the DIS shows?

The DIS almost always shows a better fuel consumption than it actually is !

VCDS can adjust the error out or at least re-calibrate if you know the actual exact mpg.

Can Audi recalibrate the DIS?

Have to be honest and say I've done no maintainance on this car yet such as cleaning EGR etc so maybe that could help? ( EGR was off in 5 mins on last car so did it regular but the Audi looks a lot more time consuming? )

Is there a thread or how too on cleaning the EGR and other bits to improve running on here? i dont have much luck with the search box

Yes Audi can recalibrate if you tell them how far out it actually is.

Yes there are loads of threads on cleaning EGR