Replacing factory GSM prep in armrest.

Mutsumi

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first topic on the forum :)

I collected my 8P S3 yesterday and found that the phone prep cradle in the armrest doesn't appear to be replaceable. Ideally I wanted to change it to a dock for my iPhone 4, however I don't know if that would require rewiring the whole kabooble.

The car doesn't have Bluetooth fitted, so I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to retrofit that instead of changing the cradle. Does the 2G RNS-E support A2DP (music over bluetooth)?

As a stopgap solution I've just gotten a cheap compatible handset from eBay and stuck a payt sim card in it. Of course that's less than ideal as it means having two numbers, and I'm too lazy to divert the calls every time I get in and out of the car.

Thanks for reading!
:s3addict:

i'm pretty sure the cradle can be changed

as far as i'm aware no RNS-E plays music via bluetooth but you can get aftermarket units that do

You can use the audio profile streaming on the MK2 rns-e units with an adapter kit, you'd need the AMI kit for this too, which would give you proper ipod/iphone/usb drive compatibility aswell, I can supply fit the whole system for you, mk2 offers some improved features over mk1.

Cool, Audi Swindon reckon it'll cost 100 sheets to change the cradle to one suitable for an i4. Surely there's a cheaper alternative to that, it seems a bit steep to just unscrew one and plug a different one in.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

No thats the cost tbh for an iphone cradle.

Fair enough, perhaps I'll get it done on its next service. The music thing isn't a massive deal as the 6 disk changer, SD slots and MP3-CD features are plenty.