Drinking Oil - Piston ring replacement in 14k mls A3 1.8T

bdavbdav

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an A3 1.8TFSI Sportback (09 plate) which I bought back in December (at about 13K mls) from Audi Approved Used - It had a slight door rattle so I took it back to the dealer who sold it to me in early Feb.

They claimed it was almost out of oil (after being full when I first bought the car), and topped up with 4L of oil - I asked if this was normal (only about 1.2k mls on) and they assured me it was.

Wind forward to now, its eaten all the oil again. Taken the car into another dealer who tells me the piston rings need replacing. I didn't have time to talk to them properly, and can't get through to them now - is this a common problem, and if not, are they fixing the symptom as opposed to the cause? Will they rebuild the engine to the same standard as it was from factory, or should I be going back to the original dealer and reading the riot act? I understand that if its been low enough on oil in the past to cause such damage to the piston rings etc, there could be damage to bearings etc too - I don't wan't to end up with an engine that packs up 50k mls down the line out of warranty because of damage done now.

Any advice would me most appreciated!

Ben

Last edited:
Take it back to the dealer.

I don't have a 1.8 TFSI but it cannot be right that any car uses that much oil as a 'norm'.

The car is still under warranty so just ask them (nicely to start with !) to fix it.

Start with the dealer and then if no joy you can always contact Audi UK and get them involved.

Good luck

Did you see with your own eyes that the oil was at max when you bought the car?
Also, when you say its "eaten all the oil again"... do you mean that its verging on empty?? Has the oil light come on?? Can you see any trace of oil level on the dipstick??

If your car is using more then 1L of oil in less than 1000 miles then there is a problem. If its using 1L in 1000+ miles then it could be "normal".

As a guide, depending on my driving my 2.0T can use 1L in 1500 miles.

Our old car had done 200k, and used about a litre every 2000miles.

Current car has 110k on the clock and barely uses any.

Audi claim 1L in 1000miles as the acceptable limit, but in reality a good engine should use much much less than this.

Doesnt such a new car have a level sensor?! The level sensor should bring an alarm on before theres even a litre missing, never mind four. I dont think the sump on a 4 pot even holds 4L of oil!

If you got through 4 litres before the oil light came on you have a problem there that needs to be fixed ..oil light should come on if you are 1ltr down never mind 4 !!

to be honest i would be going into battle about this. I would not want a car thats been running 4 ltr's short of oil. if its getting past the rings it would be smoking like a beagle after coasting down a hill for example. I would go so far as to say if the compression is down on all four pots after 14k miles then that sort of wear will be right through the engine not just on the rings/bores if its as a result of oil starvation . If its just down on one pot then it could just be an oil control ring but its unlikely with that sort of oil consumption.
Sorry but i would be looking for a replacement car or at least an engine. Its difficult to see how you could possibly get that sort of wear on just the rings and bores. In my experience a re bore and rings ( dont let them just change the rings !!) will probably show up bearing failure that is not obvious in a engine running a low comp.

Last edited:
My bad - not 4L, the whole dipstick worth, but not 4L!
Just spoken to them again - Seems there is a technical service bulletin whereby a load of the 1.8t engines were fitted with the wrong size piston rings. Surprised it has taken them so long to pick it up.

I bet they already new this mate .Hoping people would simply fade away with there problem and not have to sort it ...

Yeah I'm really surprised it wasn't picked up sooner.

Am I ok to have the engine rebuilt, or should I be pushing for a new engine given the age and manufacturer error?

i have a 1.8 Tfsi and have not topped between oil services. so for me your car is defo not the norm. as said above I'd be back to the dealer :angrymod: and get them to give a full diagnostic report and a full warranty repair/replacement.

Yeah I'm really surprised it wasn't picked up sooner.

Am I ok to have the engine rebuilt, or should I be pushing for a new engine given the age and manufacturer error?

Sorry mate but I seem to think you should be after money back and them find you another one that's not broken !

Damn - i was really attached to that car :bye:. Does anyone have experience with trying to return a car to Audi used as a lemon? Is it going to be a huge PITA to get them to accept it back?

It is not going to be easy thats for sure. The problem here is it is deemed reasonable for them to replace or rebuild your engine. (I myself would not think this is reasonable i would want my money back)

However as it is a used car and because all audi see it as is a good will it may be your only option.

Im not saying dont try and fight for them to accept it back but be prepared that all they will do is try and replace or repair. I would not hesitate for them to rebuild your engine as long as they warranty the work after the rebuild. Mention this aswell, Its not the end of the world remember and them rebuilding it does not mean it will break down at 50k, If the rebuild the engine they more than likely will go by the book. It will still last provided it is serviced well.

If you have to accept a repair then I would insist on a full three year warranty on all work carried out.

In addition I suggest you negotiate a very beneficial service arrangement so that if anything else happens they can't wriggle out of any responsibility !

take it back to dealer and demand your money back you are the customer you have rights by LAW if they are being funny about it talk to audi uk they will sort you out matey

on or off the dip stick is just 1 ltr. and unlikely to be a problem to the life span of the engine. this is now something that only you can decide. It needs you to have confidence in the car and its reliability and only you know what needs to be done to obtain that.
I would go along with the recommended repair by Audi and insist on a years warranty minimum because any ongoing problem will show its self within the year.

I would go along with the recommended repair by Audi and insist on a years warranty minimum because any ongoing problem will show its self within the year.
totally agree with this if they have admitted there is a problem with the piston rings then they have to do it under a recall

Many thanks for all the advice guys - I think I will have them do the recommended repair, but at the same time push for 3 yrs warranty on the engine block.

I get the impression however, even if they don't grant me the 3 yrs warranty (I think the default is 1yr on all repairs, or the warranty of the car - I think I have about 1.75yrs left whichever is greatest) then if its a repair done as a result of a recall / known issue that if they do ****** it up in some way, I should be able to get it sorted a fair way down the line in goodwill, or failing that in the courts.

It's a shame as I love that car, and its my first Audi, but its tainted the experience a little :(

its the same as with any car sale from audi or not you have rights mate dont back down fight it all the way to the courts if you have to

Many thanks for all the advice guys - I think I will have them do the recommended repair, but at the same time push for 3 yrs warranty on the engine block.

I get the impression however, even if they don't grant me the 3 yrs warranty (I think the default is 1yr on all repairs, or the warranty of the car - I think I have about 1.75yrs left whichever is greatest) then if its a repair done as a result of a recall / known issue that if they do ****** it up in some way, I should be able to get it sorted a fair way down the line in goodwill, or failing that in the courts.

It's a shame as I love that car, and its my first Audi, but its tainted the experience a little :(

Dont let it hamper your experience you are in warranty and it can be fixed. Let audi repair it, thats what i would say. Mate if they carry out the repair they will undo a fair bit of the engine, atleast it will be put together properly again and if other components that need attention will also be sorted at the same time.

Its a chain driven engine if treated well it will last a long time, the art of getting work carried out by the dealer is as mentioned they do go buy the book. They torque every single bolt to spec so you can pretty much rest assured. Just ensure you get the extended warranty on the work and look forward to enjoying the car when its back. I have only had my car for a few weeks same engine as yours i had a nasty mis happen the second day which had a fair bit of work on the front. Its back now and im loving the car.

Dont let it hamper your experience you are in warranty and it can be fixed. Let audi repair it, thats what i would say. Mate if they carry out the repair they will undo a fair bit of the engine, atleast it will be put together properly again and if other components that need attention will also be sorted at the same time.

Its a chain driven engine if treated well it will last a long time, the art of getting work carried out by the dealer is as mentioned they do go buy the book. They torque every single bolt to spec so you can pretty much rest assured. Just ensure you get the extended warranty on the work and look forward to enjoying the car when its back. I have only had my car for a few weeks same engine as yours i had a nasty mis happen the second day which had a fair bit of work on the front. Its back now and im loving the car.

Thanks farhanali, I think this is what I'm going to do. Indeed I can't wait to get her back - In the mean time they've given me a 2.0 Diesel A4 Avant with misaligned front tires, which compared to the A3 is a bowl of soup!

If you mean it wants to go straight on like the steering is slightly stuck.........they all do that.