Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Wiring Bi xenon advice

5th Gear

Status

Wiring Bi xenon advice

Ok so I tried to see if the DRL Bi xenon facelift headlights could be wired up to my old 'C' type central electrics module using the Kufatec loom as I have seen some facelifted cars without new modules (04/54 plates) that have both xenon's and DRL's running. Now I know it has been covered in some depth, but I thought I'd give it a shot due to those able to run the bi xenons and DRL's without new module. I should add I have ordered a 'K' module from ebay but missing the LED DRL's which were one of the major points of the facelift, hence the try for a quick fix until new module arrives

This was the aftermath of my first wiring endeavor All put together as should be now...

Got the shutters done and lights work -albeit with the customary bunch of warnings lol, and here's where I ran into a problem as the DRL wires are too big for any of the holes left in the plug. Which leads me to my question, will I need a new plug and re-pin for the new module? As from what I gather modules do not come with pins...
    Last edited by ~RS~; 18th March 2011 at 02:20.

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    No advice, but Bi-Xenons bro, GOOD MOVE, your car is getting there

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

6th Gear

Status
    Would it not be cheaper to buy new pins ?Maplins?

5th Gear

Status
    keep us updated with your progress, my mate has just done the facelift conversion, i also used the kufatec loom which was previously used when I fitted the bi xenons. Its a 2004 with a D central elec. do the drls just use a 12v feed? if so do you know which pins they are
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi,

Very strange that, but you won't need a new plug as the plugs are the same for the K module.
    The thing is that the loom you bought maybe it's to those Facelift that have some diff in the inner electrics, for instance, they have a new CE module, that includes the old 09 module and the 46 (conv module), therefore the loom maybe has the connector to those modules as they are very diff.
    The correct thing is get some new connectors to those wires.

Hope i helped.

Best regards.

OT: The caps are stuning!!!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    DRL's shouldnt work oem with that module, as C doesnt have coding for them given it was made years before drl's were even a thought, F was 1st sign of coding for drl's on the bixenon with halogen drl & thats a stretch for the led drl's as that would work fully on a K CE, but you dont need the new CE/Convenience for facelift lights to work, but certainly I'd be using the K CE.

You sure you got the right connector/pin holes & its possibly as micasb advises, but knowing my experience with kufatec they may have screwed something up.

Repair wires would be next port if you're sure of connections.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    DRL's shouldnt work oem with that module, as C doesnt have coding for them given it was made years before drl's were even a thought, F was 1st sign of coding for drl's on the bixenon with halogen drl & thats a stretch for the led drl's as that would work fully on a K CE, but you dont need the new CE/Convenience for facelift lights to work, but certainly I'd be using the K CE.

You sure you got the right connector/pin holes & its possibly as micasb advises, but knowing my experience with kufatec they may have screwed something up.

Repair wires would be next port if you're sure of connections.
    Do you know if it would work with a module A ? I was playing around with the DRL Settings the other day and I managed to have my main beam and side light on with out the rear lights being on. Just like them New golf's you see about now days. I ticked the Bit 4 Daytime running Lights (North America)

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    Do you know if it would work with a module A ? I was playing around with the DRL Settings the other day and I managed to have my main beam and side light on with out the rear lights being on. Just like them New golf's you see about now days. I ticked the Bit 4 Daytime running Lights (North America)

Not with the bixenon as you can't have bi-xenon with A module.

About the looms as i said i'm pretty sure you bought the loom for facelifted version with the new module...
    Regarding Kufatec, never had any problems with them Nige :D

Regards,

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    As he said.

Status
    Does anybody know where to get a K module ? besides ebay ? or ebay.de ?
    Last edited by Digzz; 22nd March 2011 at 19:58.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Uh I have a C module if interested which is high end & certainly better than the A, what you want it for?

Status
    Uh I have a C module if interested which is high end & certainly better than the A, what you want it for?
    I'm doing the same conversion as RS ....

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Then why do you need the A version as A is very old.

Status
    Then why do you need the A version as A is very old.
    I don't.. I just wanted to see if it would work with my old module.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I'm confused, you asked where to get an A module, but now you say you dont need 1, its a little contradictive dont you think.

Anyway I have a C module if interested to test with, but rest assured DRL & Bixenon will not work properly or at all with an A module, thats fact.

Status
    I'm confused, you asked where to get an A module, but now you say you dont need 1, its a little contradictive dont you think.

Anyway I have a C module if interested to test with, but rest assured DRL & Bixenon will not work properly or at all with an A module, thats fact.
    Sorry ...my bad I meant K Not A. How much u want the C module for ? And is it the same As K ? Will I have any problems or more difficulty with wiring ?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No, if you're doing what Rich is then you would need the K, a C will do xenons but not bixenons & will not do drl's.

Status
    No, if you're doing what Rich is then you would need the K, a C will do xenons but not bixenons & will not do drl's.
    I think I've got the xenons and not the bi-xenons :

AUDI A3/S3 LED XENON HEADLIGHTS COMPLETE 2009-10 on eBay (end time 04-Feb-11 07:55:35 GMT)

But if your saying The DRL's won't work any how then I don't see the point.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Those are MY08 onwards headlights which only come in bixenon & bixenon adaptive type, there isnt a single vision xenon anymore, you need K

5th Gear

Status
    Well my new CE has arrived, need to go about swapping old one out and getting the new one in, any advice on how the old one comes out.... If I need to unplug anything - battery etc and general advice would be great!

Pics for those that are looking to do this upgrade.

6th Gear

Status
    lucky bugger, ive been looking for a K for a while now LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

2010 Facelift!

Status
    My DRL's are just tapped into an ignition live mate until i sort out new module to run them properly

5th Gear

Status
    lucky bugger, ive been looking for a K for a while now LOL
    So was I for quite some time! The daily trawl on ebay.de

My DRL's are just tapped into an ignition live mate until i sort out new module to run them properly
    Cheers Joey, I was wondering how yours and killuminati's were done.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ~RS~ View Post
    So was I for quite some time! The daily trawl on ebay.de

me too, i bid on one & it was pulled & was also supposed to be getting one from a Guy in England breaking an S3 but it never materialised.

5th Gear

Status
    Any idea how the old one comes out guys? Like to have a rough idea on what needs to be done before disecting the car again lol... Also do I need to take connection of battery to do work?

Cheers

6th Gear

Status
    It's easy, just remove trim then looking at it from below u slide the red locking bar to one side. This let's u un plug all the connectors. Then there are just two tabs on the edges of it holding it in place.

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers Khufu, that sounds pretty straightforward tbh.

I've emailed kufatec about the other issue- connection being to large to fit pin, but am awaiting a response so I guess no DRL's until they get back to me

Did manage to find someone else who had the same issue, and seems Kufatec sent them new connectors, if it's just a case of that I'd rather try source these connectors over here rather than waiting for them to get back to me and send a set over.... Any idea's on where to pick up right spec/ size connectors?

5th Gear

Status
    Kufatec the knob ends, haven't been much help at all with this, my mate has bought another loom for his facelift project and it seems to have the same sized pins on it... So I have abandoned all hope of them sorting it out and want this K module fitted asap...

What repair wires will I need for this job and will any soldering be involved? Can I just buy new connectors from say maplins as suggested above?

Cheers

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    What can I say, reason why I dont use them mate, but Rich I'm in uk if you want fitted, give me shout if interested

5th Gear

Status
    Hi Nige, I would have bought it to you but it's near enough all installed now mate just need to sort the connectors out, was going to use lekky tape to hold em in for the while until advised on new connectors to suit block/pin.

St

5th Gear

Status
    Hi Nige, I would have bought it to you but it's near enough all installed now mate just need to sort the connectors out, was going to use lekky tape to hold em in for the while until advised on new connectors to suit block/pin.

St

6th Gear

Status
    Im sure you can only get the connectors from Audi. The multi-plug looks like 11 pin brown connector 1K0 972 929 A. Unfortunately there are quite a few repair wires that suitable for it so at this point i'd struggle to narrow it down. 000 979 025 E is the smallest one, then there is 000 979 026 E, 000 979 150 E, 000 979 151 E, 000 979 242 E, 000 979 243 E, 000 979 255 E & 000 979 308 E..............

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers Khufu, so many choices ay!

I think I'm going to remove the existing connectors and push in the wires under connector into corresponding pin hole, lock them in and use some lekky tape to keep in place until I get the right repair wire. I need my DRL's now, had the facelift a while without them and it's bugging me Hopefully that will work until I can figure out which repair wire will be needed.... will take pics of the wires that fit against ruler for pointers.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You need to check in elsa what the gauge wires are for those pins, then check in etka the wire gauge used in that connector, it doesnt get any easier than that, shoving them in with tape is not wise, the pins are that small & if any touch eachother it could blow the board & any connected modules, leave disconnected for now & do it properly, you dont need drl's to use the headlights, its more of a showy thing if you're honest mate, I'm sure you'll be more happier when in as per oem & no issues resulting from cowboy patching

5th Gear

Status
    it's a showy thing..... there I said it hahaa! LOl @ the cowboy patching...

Your not wrong Nige it's def a for show, bugging the heck out of me too, as was one of the reasons for facelift... I Will take your advice though and leave until correct repair wires are bought don't wanna blow the board took me long enough to source this 1!
    Cheers for the pointers mate, I'll look into the gauge now.

6th Gear

Status
    I've found that even going by the gauge of wire can be wrong.... LOL

Mine still arent wired in LOL

6th Gear

Status
    Surely you can make a good enough "cowboy" Repair LMFAO NHN ,Many auto leccys have bodged cars for me in the past and the job looked ****e !But worked and was hidden .I would rather do it myself these days sod paying for somthing that can be done if you are relatively good with your hands..

5th Gear

Status
    Still no DRL's

I have fitted the new module today very easy job and I'm crap at this sort of stuff...

Here's the guts pulled out of the old one

new module out and new one fitted in...

new module and old side by side no visible differences except for types of fuse on the outside of it.

So I tried prizing off the old connectors I spoke about about that were to large to fit into the connector block and fitted the remaining wire and small metal connector into the only free holes on the relevant blocks namely A + D. No joy unfortunately! I could see the metal bit where the pins would enter it when putting the block back in but got fault codes and no DRL's so took em back out.

Still have all my warning lights on the dash... double Have coded the headlights in vcds but have probably done something wrong or entered the wrong options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys I couldn't locate the relevant repair wire required with the right connection but my mate digzz is gonna have another look, but any advise about that would also be appreciated

5th Gear

Status
    Well this is starting to be a royal PITA! Still loads of errors and no DRL's!
    As said the new module is in, I have coded it as follows in central electrics using vcds-

Byte 00 Bit 1 ON
    Byte 03 Bit 4 OFF
    Byte 17 Bit 1 OFF
    Byte 21 Drop down menu - tried Bi xenon with separate LED + Bi xenon with separate DRL.

Assistance would be great Can post my vcds log if required

6th Gear

Status
    I'm afraid your futher down the road than me so I cant help LOL. Just got the front level sensor off of ebay so will fit them now I have the pair, that will just leave me needing the CE module.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast