Front Side light problem

Ultravox

Reaction score
I have only owned my AUDI A3 2.0L TDI SE 2004 (54)
for a few months. The previous owner fitted LED lights on the front bumper and removed the side light bulbs.
One of my high beam lights went, which caused the passenger side to only stay on approx 10 seconds each time I switched them on.(Is this normal on bulb failure?)
So I bought two new Main beam headlights which came with two LED side light bulbs.
Main beam worked fine but I've got a problem with the side lights :(
When I replaced these only the drivers side light worked- The side light came on for about 2 seconds on the passennger side then went off, I swapped with a normal side light bulb , but it did the same again.
Can anyone help? When I had it remapped & fault codes cleared the guy who did it asked me if there was a problem with the parking lights/side lights but I presumed at the time this was because the previous owner had taken them out. Obviously not!!

It is normal for the computer to switch off a lighting circuit after it has detected a bulb failure. LED sidelight bulbs are notorious for causing errors because they do not draw enough current and the computer thinks they have blown.

If you go out and buy proper bulbs ref 501 which are 5 watts each (you can get them that look identical but are only 3 watts ) then you will cure the problem. The chap asked if you had a parking/sidelight problem because the faults showed up on the scan.

Please do a search on this forum because there are hundreds of threads dealing with sidelight problems.

Cheers

Thanks for your prompt reply and your helpful advice - I must have searched in the wrong section. My apologies