Is S-line tyre noise as bad in the S3?

rebo

Reaction score
Currently driving a 2010 TDI S-line and whilst I'm generally very happy with it the tyre noise can be annoying. On motorways above 60mph it approaches unbearable noise levels, chatting becomes very hard and the music system is drowned out unless i crank the volume really high.

I DO like the handling, interior and design of the car. I'll have an opportunity to upgrade via the company later this year and am currently looking at an S3 but the tyre noise concerns me.

Are the noise levels this bad on all the sportier A3s, how do people who daily commute via the motorway put up with it ?

Standard wheels on mate? Just wondering as not something i've noticed?

what tyres have you got
iv never known them that bad

Yeah standard 18" wheels. Next time i'm out ill get a dB reading but it is proper LOUD!

I'm certain it's tyre noise as if the motorway has been recently resurfaced with a 'smooth' finish the noise mostly goes away, thats only like 2% of the roads though.

Last edited:
Wheels won't make a difference, what tyres do you have?

I'm looking forward to my Nankang NS2s running out, as they're ****** noisy. They were the best tyres I could upgrade to when I bought my particular wheel/tyre package. They've done okay, but they're extremely loud!

The tyre and surface it's being driven on are the main factors....I thought the OEM Bridgestones were noisy,and the Goodyear F1's weren't bad,but the Toyo R1Rs are also noisy tryes,but you might expect that something like that would be a bit noisy.Michelin PS3s are a reasonably quiet choice too.

I've got Eagle F1 Asymetrics and they can be a bit noisy too - seems to be at about 40 MPH that they are at their loudest, have had my mate (mechanic) confirm that it sounds like tyre noise and it does change with the road surface.

Paul

Wheels won't make a difference, what tyres do you have?

These are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40/18 92Ys. Are they known for being noisy?

These are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40/18 92Ys. Are they known for being noisy?

Noisy,hard as hell compund,and zero grip....all IMHO,but awful tyres.....PS3 is much better,as are the F1's,but the F1's do not last long.

I have these tyres on my S line and I must admit I find them quite noisy. When the wife is driving my car I struggle to hear her through the bluetooth when she is on the motorways, but not so bad on normal roads.

I need to replace two of mine and was thinking of the Contisportcontact 3's as they seem to be rated highly on here, but people have given me food for thought as Michelin PS3's have been mentioned a few times.

Although I thought Michelins were known for being hard compound/long lasting with no grip?

Falken 452's are pretty noisy also. As as are my Vredstein Sessanatas. Can't afford Michelin though, so gonna be stuck with Vreds again.

I have these tyres on my S line and I must admit I find them quite noisy. When the wife is driving my car I struggle to hear her through the bluetooth when she is on the motorways, but not so bad on normal roads.

I need to replace two of mine and was thinking of the Contisportcontact 3's as they seem to be rated highly on here, but people have given me food for thought as Michelin PS3's have been mentioned a few times.

Although I thought Michelins were known for being hard compound/long lasting with no grip?

This is just my own experiences of these tyres....FWIW!

Bridgestone RE050....v poor wet grip and no progression,and limited dry grip overall,but unfortunately last forever and simply had to be binned to find something better.

Goodyear F1 Assymetric...good wet and dry grip,reasonably quiet but very soft compound,so worn out after about 6-8000 miles.

Michelin PS3...good wet and dry grip,but probably not as good as the F1 Assy overall,but much better wear,so overall a good compromise.

Toyo R1R...excellent dry grip and progression,but in the wet...forget it.

Thanks S3Alex.

Have you tried the Contisportcontact 3's at all?

How are the PS3's with road noise?

I haven't tried the Conti's,but have seen good reviews and heard some good things also.

I think the PS3s are no worse than the F1s,and better than the RE050s,but to be honest I did HATE those tyres.

I haven't tried the Conti's,but have seen good reviews and heard some good things also.

I think the PS3s are no worse than the F1s,and better than the RE050s,but to be honest I did HATE those tyres.

I know what you mean by HATE!!

They are total pants. No grip whatsoever, wet or dry roads! Probably doesn't help that I'm putting all 140bhp through the front wheels :)

I know what you mean by HATE!!

They are total pants. No grip whatsoever, wet or dry roads! Probably doesn't help that I'm putting all 140bhp through the front wheels :)

Agreed!.....try putting 360bhp(at that time) through those things,even with part time 4WD..

That amongst other things made me bin those tyres,buy a Haldex controller,and then settle on some better tyres that actually gripped the road.

I have just put on 4 pirelli Nero zeros and the noise difference between these and my old Yokohama 465 is incredible. The neros are so quiet and sooo grippy.

I would try some new tyres fella!

Is it the rear tyres? If you run your hand over the inside of the rears is it easy one way but hard the other. This is the tyres saw toothing. Too much negative camber on the rears is causing this. Vag have modified the camber settings to stop this from -1.5 to -0.5 I think. It's so bad some people think their wheel bearings have gone. When you get your new tyres get a 4 wheel alignment done and get the camber moved. Vag set it to that number to make twisty roads fun but if your a motorway driver it just wears the inner rear tyres. I have a a3 and it's very noisy. Some tyres are noisy as stated in previous posts.

Is it the rear tyres? If you run your hand over the inside of the rears is it easy one way but hard the other. This is the tyres saw toothing. Too much negative camber on the rears is causing this. Vag have modified the camber settings to stop this from -1.5 to -0.5 I think. It's so bad some people think their wheel bearings have gone. When you get your new tyres get a 4 wheel alignment done and get the camber moved. Vag set it to that number to make twisty roads fun but if your a motorway driver it just wears the inner rear tyres. I have a a3 and it's very noisy. Some tyres are noisy as stated in previous posts.

Glad I read this as my rear inner tyre edges are slightly worn and the noise from the back did make me think my bearings were on their way out. Now it all makes sense :)

Do you have the full 'proper' settings for an A3 S Line that I can take to my local alignment centre?

I have contact 3's all round and are brilliant and very quiet, even after F1 isometrics ( which go out of shape long before they wear out ) :)

Contis are quiet, my SC2's were my fave tyre i've ever had. Will get the 3's next time but they arent cheap!

Just had a look at a copy of the workshop manual
It would seem all a3 suspension types on year 2006 rear camber is -1.2degrees +-0.3 degrees. -1.5 must on on Golfs but the principle is the same - I do not know what number you can take it to and I suspect its going to take a switched on dealer to give you the info.
The reason I mention golfs is because its the same suspension and bearing set up and it affects them as well. the briskoda forum and ukmiv forum may have more info but changing the camber to a more neutral number has made a difference - perhaps its something some vw dealers are doing at their disgression for customers.
I certainly will be investigating it - just have to start talking nicely to someone I know with the proper four wheel alignment gear.
I plan to swap my fronts to back and do the camber at the same time.
One thing that does stand out is the amount of tolerance in that number it could be -1.5 to -0.9 which may explain why some Audi A3 drivers (with the -0.9 setup) are going i dont know what the fuse is about. Mine is quite.
There is a note on tyre noise in the workshop manual that says tyres with tread 90 degrees to to direction make a lot more noise than those with diaganol tread

and dont be fobbed off with "you cant adjust rear camber - 8p A3's both front wheel drive and Quattro can have the rear camber and toe adjusted its in the workshop manual

Contis are quiet, my SC2's were my fave tyre i've ever had. Will get the 3's next time but they arent cheap!
dont bother.completely differant tyre.I loved my sc2's, but hated the sc3's.bought 4 new and got rid off straight away.sidewall softer, no rim protector and not so clever in the wet/damp.Im running bridgestone s001'at the mo and love em.But i know theyll be shyte in the snow.

Last edited:
oh god the dealership i bought my car from seem to have fitted four brand new nexen n1000 tyres. They are AWFUL. Like literally when i turn the car just carries on straight.

Being brand new its worse! i know ill have to run them till they finish! They are noisey aswell but i find my s line quite stiff for a standard car but i wouldn't say its unbearable. Really depends on the road surface