Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

Start Stop Question

Hi,

Just an interested in asking about the start stop on my car. I have a 1.4 TFSI which on the order form said had start stop.

I have put it into neutral, and applied the hand brake and lifted off the clutch, yet the car stays at tick over revs?

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Is the car up to temperature???
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes, I didn't think of that, but it was at 90!? I was trying it after a 10 minutes journey

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

6th Gear

Status
    the courtesy car i got when i had mine serviced had start stop. On that when i stopped at traffic lights, foot on brake, nuetral and lift clutch up, the engine stopped. As soon as i pressed clutch down, selected 1st gear and as bringing clutch up it would start and go. it was a a4 avant 2010 2.0tdi by the way.
    Ron
    Audi A3 8P2 2.0Tfsi S-Line Special Edition Bluefin

3dr Mauritius Blue || Full Leather|| BOSE || MFSW || Auto Lights/Wipers || Auto Dim Rearview Mirror || Heated Mirrors
    Mods: S3 Aluminium Pedals || S3 Vents || 2010 RNSE || OEM Bluetooth || Dension Gateway 100 || MY09 Rear Lights || Single Xenon Headlights

4th Gear

Status
    Maybe the heater inside hasn't reached correct temp yet? Mine didn't cut out in the cold because had the heater on full and it was trying to keep the temp.

Also mine sometimes doesn't switch off it I stop and apply the handbrake to quick.
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

6th Gear

Status
    there are loads of things that determine whether the car will cut out or not - operating temperature, what electronic gadgets you're using etc. i recall on a review of the 1.4 start/stop that it wasn't great and didn't work a lot of the time. it may well be because it's still too cold outside or something.

keep having a play, and if all else fails i'm sure the owner's manual will give you a clue as to what's going on.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for all your replies. Yeh, I'm using the radio and have the heaters on - which may be the answer? I'm having a trip out tomorrow, so I will try and have a play! As sub39h suggested, I'll be checking my owner manual if I can't figure it out!

I'll let you know how I get on, I was just interested really, because I thought it would be instant cut off, but seems abit more complicated than I had in mind really.

Fossie

Status
    I'm probably wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you can actually switch off the stop/start system !!!

Why they would do that though is a mystery !!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    I'm probably wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you can actually switch off the stop/start system !!!

Why they would do that though is a mystery !!
    mine is almost always switched off.

the air-con in my a3 is absolutely terrible and when start stop kicks in the vaguely cool breeze from the air-con turns into piss warm air directed at your face.
    2009 A3 1.6 TDI Sport Phantom Black, iPod and RNSe

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeh, I have heard about that? I was searching through and I couldn't find anything to do with it.. I probably wont use it, but I just wanted to see what it's like!

2nd Gear

Status
    Got it working now! I just randomly tried it after a motorway journey and it started to work!

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyW19 View Post
    Got it working now! I just randomly tried it after a motorway journey and it started to work!
    So, is it any good, or not ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Hmm, it's ok but I wouldn't use it all the time, for example if I was in traffic and it wasn't moving then yes I would use it, or if I was waiting for someone It's much easier than messing about turning the engine off and on. But I think it's abit of a pain when at traffic lights tbh!

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyW19 View Post
    Hmm, it's ok but I wouldn't use it all the time, for example if I was in traffic and it wasn't moving then yes I would use it, or if I was waiting for someone It's much easier than messing about turning the engine off and on. But I think it's abit of a pain when at traffic lights tbh!
    So basically, 'no', is the answer !

2nd Gear

Status
    In around about way yes, I like the choice of having it, but I can see why it can be turned off.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I find it quite good but its on a S tronic so goes off when you put your foot on the brake pedal and stop moving.

If you brake gently to a stop and only put light pressure it stays on, can cause an issue if trying to pull out in traffic and its stopped though.