Legal Pressed Plates..

marc_mcquilling

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This may seem a silly question, but for any of you guys who have LEGAL pressed plates, do you get any un-necessary attention from the police?

Like, will they pull you over and check your plates to check if they are legal?

Thanks, Marc.

loads of people have them on here i dont think the police bother too much as long as they are readable by there number plate reading equip then they dont bother with them too much

dubmeister do legal pressed plates - i don't see any reason why they would draw attention

and the plates thing is area dependent - i got pulled for correctly sized and typed letters just because my arrangement was DR X XXXX rather than DRXX XXX. at the end of the day they have targets to meet for the number of innocent drivers they pull over, so don't give them an excuse.

Last edited:
As Fran has said, lots of people have them. I've had 2 sets, the ones on my last car were from Dubmeister and the most recent set I bought a couple of weeks ago from a place called Chestnut Registrations, who make them for 30 quid inclusive of postage and they accept photocopies of your docs (unlike Dubmeister who want original docs or they did when I bought from them). One of the main questions surrounding these is whether or not the plates are made from reflective material. The ones I have are definitely reflective and I've never been pulled by the cops in almost 3 years of having pressed plates. As a retired copper myself, it wouldn't really do for me to get pulled over. As long as you have UK legal font, the manufacturer's address and the British Standards number on them, you shouldn't attract any unwanted attention from the boys or the girls in blue. Go ahead and buy yourself some, Marc, they look great! :)

Paula x

at the end of the day they have targets to meet for the number of innocent drivers they pull over, so don't give them an excuse.

I couldn't agree more! I really like the look though.

It just worries me that if they pull me for the plates they might just find something else not in order even though i try my hardest to keep everything ship shape.

German style pressed plates will probably get more attention, I doubt in general you will have a lot of trouble unless the officers see anything else they may want to check out. I.E cars to low,wheels poking out the arches. It all depends, Play it safe and go with the dubmeister plates, Ensure they are stamped and keep a receipt in the glovebox to hand if you do get pulled.

Also might be worth carrying a copy of this with you INCASE, know your rights kind of thing
The Britsh Number Plate Manufacturers Association - Legislation

The dubmeister plates meet all of those requirements, In that legislation thing. I can understand your point about other things on the car but just keep an eye on your tyres mainly. Everything else you should be fine with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys and girls!

Paula, is Chestnut Registrations an online service?

As nice as they look the German Font plates aren't worth the hassle.

I had a set on my car with the GB euro badge, wife got pulled over and received a £60 fine! The guy didn't even give her the option of a VDRN (Vehicle Defect Rectification Notice).

He did say they are cracking down on illegal number plates across the country.

I now have a legal set from Dubmeister courtesy of the controversial group buy.

If you want pressed then get a set from Dubmeister! Everything else is illegal and you stand the chance of getting pulled whether they have targets to meet or not!

If the plate is legal then they aren't pulling you over for it, fact of the matter is it has to be a certain size, spacing etc for the ANPR to read it and when you start messing about with the spacing/layout of that sends alarms ringing on the thing "unable to read"

All traffic coppers should seriously think about what they do for a living cos they've all got a seriously poor attitude to the public. I refuse to call them the police cos they can't even be classed a police as they just drive around in high powered cars with a god complex in their head. They can't even do a proper police officers job such as walk the beat or chase real criminals would do real nasty **** ect...

I used to run a private plate on my scooby, the plate bought by my dad 4 years has been on the car for that period of time, he never got pulled once for them, only ever pulled once for going sideways out of a junction, they wasn't bothered a out the plate spacing, within 2 weeks of becoming the registered owner they pulled me for illegal spacing. She was a right proper mardy, fat ugly pig in an evo with a serious complex issue, told her I had bought the car with the plate and I didn't know the spacing was illegal but I would replace the plate the following day, she wasn't bothered and only wanted to hand me a £60 fine and a warning that the DVLA could remove the plate!!

Ended up asking her what it's like to be a fake copper, what's it like to have no real trusting friends and what it's like to know that your own family can't trust you, she just asks me to leave the car lol.

Moral of this post is, traffic pigs don't give a flying xxxx about us normal people, it's all facts and figures, just make sure they're fully legal!!

Reactions: quattro81 and andywaddy
be warned i brought my pressed plates from dubmeister about a month ago and got pulled today for having pressed plate i said that these are road legal plates as they are reflective and have stamps on them, they said the not reflective and good try on the stamps there as transfer sticker, also got warned about my rear led number plate lights they said they were to bright and emitted to much white light from back of car

All traffic coppers should seriously think about what they do for a living cos they've all got a seriously poor attitude to the public. I refuse to call them the police cos they can't even be classed a police as they just drive around in high powered cars with a god complex in their head. They can't even do a proper police officers job such as walk the beat or chase real criminals would do real nasty **** ect...

I used to run a private plate on my scooby, the plate bought by my dad 4 years has been on the car for that period of time, he never got pulled once for them, only ever pulled once for going sideways out of a junction, they wasn't bothered a out the plate spacing, within 2 weeks of becoming the registered owner they pulled me for illegal spacing. She was a right proper mardy, fat ugly pig in an evo with a serious complex issue, told her I had bought the car with the plate and I didn't know the spacing was illegal but I would replace the plate the following day, she wasn't bothered and only wanted to hand me a �60 fine and a warning that the DVLA could remove the plate!!

Ended up asking her what it's like to be a fake copper, what's it like to have no real trusting friends and what it's like to know that your own family can't trust you, she just asks me to leave the car lol.

Moral of this post is, traffic pigs don't give a flying xxxx about us normal people, it's all facts and figures, just make sure they're fully legal!!

So you were happy to break the law but got caught. Number plate rules are there for a reason. I'm sure that if you car was stolen and the thief was caught using ANPR you would be all in favour.

I break the law - by driving to fast when the road conditions allow, but if I get caught I get caught and accept the fact. The police are doing there job. Don't behave like a spoilt child.

This has put me off buying pressed plates now tbh.. But I think the whole numbeplate thing seems to be being taken far too seriously by the fuzz (and others lol). I agree that you shouldn't have plates that can fool ANPR, but unless they use a different font, they can be recognised easily, even with "incorrect" spacing or pressed plates. Seems to me you have sound coppers, and nazis with badges, it's just luck of the draw as to which you get.. Personally I love the guernsey plates.. They are black and silver and started at the number "1" and went up.. I saw number "3" and "5" while I was over there.. They looked very cool

ive been running my pressed plates for 18 months and had no issues, even had a cop wagon sat behind me for 20 min in traffic yesterday so no doubt he would have had a good look at it, but still no problems

I've had no issues with my spacing yet either..they've sat behind me a few times.. Where did you get your plates from jungle?

they are dubmeister ones, expensive once you add the plate holders as well, but the quality is fantastic

you still game for sunday? :drag:

was gonna give you a shout about that

yea im still game, been looking forward to it, need to see what these brakes of yours are like ;) also wanna trip in your car as need to see what a revo car is like as not been in one lol

need to do a roll call in the Ace thread and see whos coming as well

was gonna give you a shout about that

yea im still game, been looking forward to it, need to see what these brakes of yours are like ;) also wanna trip in your car as need to see what a revo car is like as not been in one lol

need to do a roll call in the Ace thread and see whos coming as well

lmao, lets go home in eachothers car!? haha! bring the dslr too!!

just little update for you! i have spoken to dubmeister and if anyone has any problem then if you call them up they will speak to the police and deal with it and everything will be sorted!

i also spoke to my local police station and they said my plates are fine and reflect enough and have all the correct stamps on! brought from dubmeister. As i got pulled by traffic police the local police station said best if you ask them to be sure. So noticed a traffic unit sitting at the side of the road waiting for SPEEDERS lol! So pulled up and went to ask them, they said cause there raised they mite be but the spacing and the stamps are all there so thats no issue they are reflective so thats no issue - then he got there little book out (police guide) and looked up plates and as long as it has the correct stamp its ok! There is nothing in there about raised plates! So i took a picture off it! They also said that the essex police are ******** and pull u up for the sake of it to go fishing for something!

just little update for you! i have spoken to dubmeister and if anyone has any problem then if you call them up they will speak to the police and deal with it and everything will be sorted!

i also spoke to my local police station and they said my plates are fine and reflect enough and have all the correct stamps on! brought from dubmeister. As i got pulled by traffic police the local police station said best if you ask them to be sure. So noticed a traffic unit sitting at the side of the road waiting for SPEEDERS lol! So pulled up and went to ask them, they said cause there raised they mite be but the spacing and the stamps are all there so thats no issue they are reflective so thats no issue - then he got there little book out (police guide) and looked up plates and as long as it has the correct stamp its ok! There is nothing in there about raised plates! So i took a picture off it! They also said that the essex police are ******** and pull u up for the sake of it to go fishing for something!

couldnt have said it better myself... :ninja:

lmao, lets go home in eachothers car!? haha! bring the dslr too!!

haha no worries... mine may need some petrol though ;)
the DSLR and tripod are packed ready to go, will try and bring my dads point and shoot as it records video in HD so may be useful?

haha no worries... mine may need some petrol though ;)
the DSLR and tripod are packed ready to go, will try and bring my dads point and shoot as it records video in HD so may be useful?

yep sounds good! im after a shot of my wheel and brake whilst moving :wub:

Dubmeister pressed plates waiting for me to fit them, received yesterday! :)