xenons

andyam

Reaction score
Looking to do a retro fit of xenons...but first the head lights...how much would you guys pay for a second hand set normally so i know im not over paying! muchly appreciated!!! :D

Bi-Xenon is Xenon in the Dipped and Main beam, Single Xenon is Xenon in just the Dipped and halogen in the Main beam.

Seems a fair price, as always when theres a 'Make me an Offer', try negotiate a bit. I had a mate got some for about £350, which is a very good buy.

Obviously you'll be fitting auto levelling sensors and windscreen washers as well to remain legal ?!!!!

Otherwise you'll end up blinding the hell out of people !

Obviously you'll be fitting auto levelling sensors and windscreen washers as well to remain legal ?!!!!

Otherwise you'll end up blinding the hell out of people !

Mike i was speaking to an MOT tester the other day and he said aslong as there was washer jets visible and they worked an MOT wouldnt be a problem and suggested (and i know its crude) that you T piece a hose on to your windscreen washers and fix a couple of washer jets below the light for the day of the MOT. Hahaha!

Are Autoleveling sensors a big job to do??

Mike i was speaking to an MOT tester the other day and he said aslong as there was washer jets visible and they worked an MOT wouldnt be a problem and suggested (and i know its crude) that you T piece a hose on to your windscreen washers and fix a couple of washer jets below the light for the day of the MOT. Hahaha!

Are Autoleveling sensors a big job to do??

Don't know about the extent of work required mate.

What I do know is that VOSA (I think that's right) are clamping down on aftermarket xenons (OEM or not) in the near future and your MOT buddy is going to have to get his act together !

Don't know about the extent of work required mate.

What I do know is that VOSA (I think that's right) are clamping down on aftermarket xenons (OEM or not) in the near future and your MOT buddy is going to have to get his act together !

I know they are mate and he said the general consensus is that as long as the washer jets are there in some format they will pass. Its an option or potential loop hole so not a total loss on retro fitting the xenons.

I know they are mate and he said the general consensus is that as long as the washer jets are there in some format they will pass. Its an option or potential loop hole so not a total loss on retro fitting the xenons.

But what about blinding oncoming traffic ? Are you ( they ) not bothered ?

But what about blinding oncoming traffic ? Are you ( they ) not bothered ?

Why would they blind on coming traffic? If they are factory lights?

Im familar with the vxr bi xenon retro fit but not the audi, they were factory fit on police cars and we sourced the part number and they didnt blind on coming cars, they were just a plug and play with an earth wire adaption.

Sorry - I didn't realise you were not au-fait with the legalities of xenon light fitments. The reason the requirements are there is to safeguard other road users

You may have noticed that on cars that have factory fit xenons, upon switch on, the lights are pointed downwards and then rise to the correct position automatically. This final level is determined by the front and rear sensors on the car which allow for different loading weights front and rear. If you didn't have this system then a car with two rear passengers would have the xenons pointing higher than a car that had no rear passengers. This will cause dazzle to oncoming traffic.

If you're going to do the conversion mate, please do it properly !

Sorry - I didn't realise you were not au-fait with the legalities of xenon light fitments. The reason the requirements are there is to safeguard other road users

You may have noticed that on cars that have factory fit xenons, upon switch on, the lights are pointed downwards and then rise to the correct position automatically. This final level is determined by the front and rear sensors on the car which allow for different loading weights front and rear. If you didn't have this system then a car with two rear passengers would have the xenons pointing higher than a car that had no rear passengers. This will cause dazzle to oncoming traffic.

If you're going to do the conversion mate, please do it properly !

Ahh right i understand you know pal, wasnt getting you there. On the vauxhalls this isnt the case mate and you can beam set them as normal head lights do with no beam scatter.

Do you know of any retro fit thread mike that i could get a shifty at? I have tried the search button but to be honest im about as much use as tits on a bull!

To give you my back round mate i used to be a panel beater painter so knacky with cars and bits n bobs - came from seat and vauxhall back round.

Ahh right i understand you know pal, wasnt getting you there. On the vauxhalls this isnt the case mate and you can beam set them as normal head lights do with no beam scatter.

Do you know of any retro fit thread mike that i could get a shifty at? I have tried the search button but to be honest im about as much use as tits on a bull!

To give you my back round mate i used to be a panel beater painter so knacky with cars and bits n bobs - came from seat and vauxhall back round.

EDIT - Mike are you sure the leveling devices are not just for forward adaptive xenons? As thinking about the xenons ive fitted both retro and replacing OE i dont recall them doing this, i do how ever remember the forward adaptive types doing it.

Ok so i have done a search and it was very helpful, what i did find out that there are 3 different types of potential headlight upgrades

courtesy of another member

assuming your car is RHD, ie UK

standard xenon:
left: 8P0 941 029 N
right: 8P0 941 030 N

Bi-xenon:
left: 8P0 941 029 AA
right: 8P0 941 030 AA

Bi-xenon with cornering
left: 8P0 941 029 AB
right: 8P0 941 030 AB

The latter types aren't simple plug & play.

What i would like to know do these all require the car to be fitted with the leveling device?

Good man - not everyone listens to answers they don't like ! :icon_thumright:

Hope you can find a satisfactory solution :beerchug:

Well the only satifactory solution is to do it correctly Mike so i now know the way forward, im stil a little green :huh: so i will take a while to catch up but if you dont ask the question you will never know the answer. :thumbsup: Cheers Mate

Gordy