Very low speed behaviour of DSG

A4_2point4

Reaction score
I am currently considering the DSG option on the A3, but wondered how it copes with very low speeds, such as creeping forward in traffic, or hill starts.

In a conventional auto, the torque converter allows the car to creep forward smoothly from a standstill, just by easing off the brake. And in a manual, I can slip the clutch. But what happens with DSG ? Does it slip its clutches when moving off, or is the low speed behaviour very jerky ?

Dont know myself, but i would'nt mind trying it out at the dealers

Hi,

I can confirm it slips just like a conventional auto. The only difference being that in some situations, on steep hills it can roll back a little before the clutch bites. Obviously a conventional auto 'locks up' so dosen't suffer this.

It's never caused me a problem, you either come off the brake pedal slowly or use the handbrake if you are close to another car.

I just tend to put it into Sport mode if I need a quick takeoff at a roundabout or junction when the traffic is heavy. It feels like it drops the clutch a bit quicker in sport mode and gives you instant power. Drive mode can be a bit slow to pull away sometimes, which is fine normally, but can be a bit scary on busy roundabouts!

I also have a DSG box and whilst, with my previous 1.8Ts, I used the clutch to control the car when putting it into the garage I now use just the brake. There is sufficient 'creep' in D to move the car forward at slow speed in the garage. The same applies in R when reversing the car out of the garage.

Similar applies in a traffic jam. Just control the creep with the brake as necessary or use the handbrake if stopping for more than a minute or so. When the traffic moves away just use the accelerator as normal.