Idling fun Now DPF light is ON??

MOOSH

Reaction score
Hi guys forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times im a bit of a green horn when it comes to the Audi, only had it 2 weeks and its my first diesel. Model is a 2007 tdi s line 170 quattro.

What i noticed yesterday after only driving say 3 miles is at a set of light the car was idling at 1k for a bit then it dropped to 900 then back to normal 800 again. I moved off and on to the next set and same again. I drop home and it did the same when i stopped there, there was a smell of burning rubber when i pulled in and believe me it wasnt me burning it i was cacking it instead...

So today i start the car up and pull off and bingo on comes the DPF warning and a crude picture of an exhaust, the car is hesitant sometimes around 2000k sort of cruising and when you put a little power on it dips (i mean you'd hardly notice) and then drives fine.

I wont have access to vag.com till possibly tomorrow afternoon but i was hoping someone may have had the issue and give me a clue as to what to look for :wacko:

car tries to regerate DPF filter but your driving style is not sufficent to do so (low speeds, town driving, low revs). Get rid of DPF i reckon would be the best option here. Better performance and no more DPF hassle.

Matt

car tries to regerate DPF filter but your driving style is not sufficent to do so (low speeds, town driving, low revs). Get rid of DPF i reckon would be the best option here. Better performance and no more DPF hassle.

Matt

Ah right mate so i should get the power on? :laugh:

Trouble with taking out the DPF is the smoke mate, i drove one that had had it removed and it smoked like and old double decker bus, filled the cockpit when the door was open and i actually thought the car had a humped turbo.

Will the light go out if i take it on a spirted run out the road for 20 mins?:unsure:

Recommended advice is running the car at 2500rpm for up to 10 miles, ideally in fourth gear, which should allow the DPF to get hot enough to burn off the particulates clogged up inside.

There is an interesting article in this weeks Autocar telling the woes of A3s and DPF problems.

Ah right mate so i should get the power on? :laugh:

Trouble with taking out the DPF is the smoke mate, i drove one that had had it removed and it smoked like and old double decker bus, filled the cockpit when the door was open and i actually thought the car had a humped turbo.

Will the light go out if i take it on a spirted run out the road for 20 mins?:unsure:

Its not that bad mate, my car produces very little smoke YouTube - Audi A3 TDI170 no DPF

that was one of the reasons that I got rid of my golf 170tdi. That f***ing DPF filter was the bane of my life. the first few times that the light came on was ok as it just required running the car at over 2000rpm for around 7-9 miles then it would go out. But then a couple of times the light would not go out and it went into limp home mode. Luckly for me it was still under warrenty and the dealer fixed it free of charge both times.
But if I hade a car that was out of warrenty I would defo be looking at a milltec DPF deleate system and a good remap, as I have heard from people that have had this done and they say there is barely more smoke than from a non DPF car. + you will have around 230bhp and torque through the roof:icon_thumright:
It's such a shame that vag have blighted such a good engine with this p**h.
I am missing the power of the 170 already. Got 140 s line quattro now much better for our climate up here in the frozen north. but it defo needs a good remap:eyebrows:.
Good luck..

that was one of the reasons that I got rid of my golf 170tdi. That f***ing DPF filter was the bane of my life. the first few times that the light came on was ok as it just required running the car at over 2000rpm for around 7-9 miles then it would go out. But then a couple of times the light would not go out and it went into limp home mode. Luckly for me it was still under warrenty and the dealer fixed it free of charge both times.
But if I hade a car that was out of warrenty I would defo be looking at a milltec DPF deleate system and a good remap, as I have heard from people that have had this done and they say there is barely more smoke than from a non DPF car. + you will have around 230bhp and torque through the roof:icon_thumright:
It's such a shame that vag have blighted such a good engine with this p**h.
I am missing the power of the 170 already. Got 140 s line quattro now much better for our climate up here in the frozen north. but it defo needs a good remap:eyebrows:.
Good luck..

Rogart mate you cant be that far away :thumbsup:

Yeah no i have a DPF light a flashing glow plug and the EML! Its like a ****** disco on start up and its in gimp mode.

Im hoping a pal at skoda can hook it up to vag com tomorrow to run it up to regenerate the system.

Is there a was to check the codes with out a vag com??:sadlike:

Aww Moosh, sorry to hear you're having these probs. At least we could just do the 'brake and accelerator pedal' check to find out what was up with the vixers. Hope your mate gets it sorted out for you soon as, Dude.

Paula x

Aww Moosh, sorry to hear you're having these probs. At least we could just do the 'brake and accelerator pedal' check to find out what was up with the vixers. Hope your mate gets it sorted out for you soon as, Dude.

Paula x

Yeah me to pet, was hoping it was an easy one i could do myself! I will need to get a vagcom cable i can see it...

Im going into my friends work tomorrow to take over the workshop! I am supposed to be detailing an Rs4 tomorrow but i think i will have to put the chap off...

Out of interest what diesel you been using? Supermarket?

I only ever run ultimate sir, supermarket petrol station are for buying fags and sweets :laugh: I wouldnt even use there fuel for lighting a fire. I previously had an astra vxr and that was mapped to only run 99 so i dont mind spending the extra bit of coin to get the right gogo juice...

No luck today on the vag com and took it for a test drive aswell and the guys logged it but the said the exhaust temp sensor must be playing up as the reading were all over the plan. I think now if i get the changed then have them run the regen process on it through vagcom that should be us back in business.

It also felt pretty slow compared to a friends 170 A4 Avant so im hoping replacing the sensor might just improve the performance?!

Just random thoughts really...