HID Alternatiives For A3 8P Owners

Farhan

Reaction score
Well all yesterday was a good day. I got my car back and decided to fit my front led sidelights and headlight bulbs.

After reading through tons of threads about Hids i decided to just stay away. I also hated fitting Hids as it was always a bit of a hassle. However on the A3 if i were to fit a kit it would be very easy as access to the headlights is so much easier and you dont have to mess around with any headlight spring clips. You just slot the bulb in possibly drill a hole for the rubber grommet to allow you to seal headlamps etc.

Regardless of that, I had a look at some kits for the A3, Many of the ones which apparently do work are from the larger reputable companies who want over £100 for them.

For front headlights thats slightly steep for me, Especially when its a bit of a bother fitting them. Another thing i just wanted to point out the A3s headlights do glare other drivers.

I looked closely at the headlamps yesterday and noticed the positioning even after adjustment was quite bad from standard. I honestly think a HID kit wouldnt be a good idea in this car. Because so many HID kits vary from different manufactures some come out great and dont glare a majority however do, With regulations getting tighter and generally hids do get annoying when they blind you lol.

(Just for reference i dont wish to offend anyone with HIDs or anything i have nothing against them)

I only wanted to post this up to give people an idea of a good alternative, I myself have used HIDS in around 3 Cars, I have also owned 2 vehicles in our household which have had manufacturer fitted Bi Xenon Headlamps.

As an alternative bulb which would give me good light and a nice pure white light i opted for Philips Diamond Vision H7 Bulbs. I have tried so many apparent halogen bulbs which state they give a pure white light. Non of them ever have they all seem to have a yellow tint to them.

I was shocked with these though, They are pure white, When they turn on however they are slightly blue and tone down to a pure crisp white light.

I will get better photos but for now please see below, I will take some day time photos as they come out less blue but really look similar to OEM bi xenon lights in colour, They start off very blue and settle to a pure white light.

photo5-1.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

Just to add they are very bright, I have heard alot of people say they dont produce a good light for night driving but i found them to be very good. Just to note i did have to remove the bulb around 4 times and have my sister drive the car because the right side would not sit well and would angle up towards the reflector, This was giving alot of glare when i was looking at the car being driven towards me. I kept trying to refit the bulb so it sat straight, This took a while but was done and the light output was much improved.

Can you post up a link to these mate they do look rather tasty!

The standard side headlights look like candles

Looks good!

Did you change your sidelights and main beam or was it just the dipped?

I changed sidelights to leds aswell, i have not done the main beams yet but will be looking for anothr cheaper set for those. ah let me get the ebay link. I searched on the forum and found i think smoothie or someone else who used the leds? i just bought the same as them.

here is the seller, as mentioned, no bulb warning out lights or anything just plug and play.

8 LED SIDE LIGHT BULBS CAN BUS FREE 501 T10 W5W 6000K on eBay (end time 02-Apr-11 16:16:37 BST)

Item no: 330449108757

These look great. Not recieved my A3 yet, so how easy are these to swap out?

How easy was it to fit the LED sidelights?
Ive not had a proper look but to me they look like there in a hard to reach area?

Quite easy tbh, There are 2 covers on each headlamp, one is directly for the main beam. Thats quite easy just tug at it to pull the bulb out undo it from the connector push the new bulb in and reconnect the connector.

For the sidelights i found it easier to remove the other cap which is for the full beam, again its just a matter of tugging the bulb off replacing it back in the holder and pushing it back in to the headlamp.

Any pictures of them in daylight? Im considering buying them buy not if they look "bluish" in daylight

heres som quick daytime photos i took yesterday, they are very very similar to factory fitted bixenons pure white light from a distance they give off a slight tinge of blue.

I will take some more shortly

photo6-2.jpg

photo5-3.jpg

They look quite yellow in the above photo but i blame my camera for that.

Mate they may look good but i can assure you there is a massive difference in the light on the road, in fact Philips Diamond Vision give off a very weak light as my neighbour had them in his sportback and they were pants when put on alongside my standard lights! In fact they only went half the distance mine did!

Aslo you may note that because they give off pants light, and only look good....then they are not road legal, and it will not pass MOT! So

Last edited:
I use the same bulbs, Philips Diamond Vision H7 on my A3. Have had them on my car for few months now. Really like them. They really are white unlike many other bulbs that are advertised to be white. Everything else I have tried have been yellow. Havent tried PIAA bulbs, they might be good aswell but they are really expensive.

Diamond visions give nice white light but I dont think they are the most powerfull bulbs. They are ok on dry road tho. Sometimes when its wet I could use some more light but dont care because they look really good.

Bought mine from ebay. Found them from dealextreme pretty cheap after I bought mine: $27.88 - H7 5000K Diamond Vision Vehicle White Light Headlamp Kit (Pair/DV 12V) - Car LED Light Bulbs
They are pretty cheap and I'm not sure if there is fakes around. If I need to replace mine I'm going to try those dealextreme ones if they are the real deal.

Btw. bought mine from ebay from user mwmwmw988mastinu. He is selling them at the moment. Other one of the bulbs had gone loose on the delivery and the bulbs were very damaged. Sent him an email and he promised to send me replacement but he never did. Sent him about 10 emails and everytime he promised to send me new ones. So I wouldnt buy from him.

Hm agree with you a fair bit there smoothie, i found my stock bulbs to be better in terms of light output but i havent really noticed any drastic draw backs to the philips bulbs yet. To be fair i do alot of town driving so loads of street lamps aid in night driving.

Overall i can live with these though and ill choose them over Hids solely because they dont glare as bad, Alot easier to change and less likely to have trouble with the enforcement. I read that they were not e marked but after they warm up to temperature in a few seconds they have a pure white light with literally no blue effect to them.

For MOT, i have never had a problem with HIDs, Aslong as the beam pattern is not scattered they are fine and many MOT places pass HIDs. As mentioned earlier when i fitted the bulbs it looked as though the bulb was not sitting flush in the housing, The beam was scattered all over the place, It took a bit of refitting to get it to sit correctly.

Because this is a halogen bulb it may not be emarked but the MOT test does not require the tester to remove any components from the vehicle, If the tester sees the ballast for a HID kit it may well be a fail in the testers view because the kit was fitted without the necessary upgrades.

Just for reference laws are even stricter on LED number plate bulbs, Oddly i cant understand it my self but my tester was a bit fussy on Leds for them.

As mentioned during the day they are very similar to the color temperature of OEM bixenon headlamps, Maybe a touch more white though.

Last edited:
I've had these bulbs on for the past year. They do look good but the light output is no where near as good as the standard bulbs. However even on dark roads with these lights I can see pretty good with no worries really. If you can't then maybe you should get your eyes tested :ninja:

All in all a good buy and passed MOT with no problems.

I had Diamond Visions in my last car alongside OE BiXenon dipped beams and thought they were great in terms of how pure white the light given off was. They were a perfect match for the Xenons with no horrid yellow glow whatsoever. Before I fitted the Diamond Visions I had PIAA Extreme White bulbs (the whitest 'E' Marked of the PIAA bulbs) and they came nowhere near as white as the Phillips bulbs, though the PIAA's were around double the price at around 65.00 GBP a pair (wouldn't buy PIAA's again). As has been said, the light output of the Diamond Visions perhaps isn't the greatest - though I personally never had a problem with them, even on the darkest of country roads - but aesthetically they are spot on and are probably the only Halogen bulbs I've ever used to come anywhere near as white as HID's with a true colour temperature rating of 5000K. The only downside is that they're not 'E' Marked and therefore only really meant for off road or show use. In saying that, I can't see any MOT tester or copper having a problem with them. :)

Paula