HELP!!!!

will-i-a-m

Reaction score
Well at the weekend i decided to go the gym, i parked in the car park and sat in my car whilst i waited for my mate to arrive, the car was off handbrake was up! i then got out of my car as my friend arrived we both crossed the road to the gym and the next i hear was a loud pop/snap sound and my car has rolled down a small ditch and wedged between 2 bollards ( i must state the gradient of the slope in the car park was virtually flat!!!!)

So i go to check my handbrake and its still on! i called audi to come out which took 4 hours 30 minutes! and they checked the handbrake and said it was on strong and infact they had to take it off to winch my car out, so how is it that my car literally rolled away!

My dilemma is, Audi have now checked the car although they all they said was we checked the handbrake its fine, would you like you car fixed in other words i will have to pay!!!

Not only that i cannot even get a courtesy car from them, my car is 2 months old and my partner and i both bought a car which comes to around 40K, and i cant even get a courtesy car? regardless of who pays for the car it will be with them for atleast a month!

How do i approach this matter, what should i be requesting, because i really do not know where i stand!!!

(i know i will be told i should always leave my car in gear and if the car park would of been steep then i would of!)

Thanks for the Help!

Last edited:
A few pics, as you can see the car park is virtually flat! Any guestimates on how much damage has been caused are welcome!

IMG00055-20110301-1337.jpg

IMG00052-20110301-1206.jpg

IMG00051-20110301-1206.jpg

Simple, the rear brakes were hot when you parked it (had you just given it a good run?) and when they cool down and contract they are no longer holding as well, then the car rolls away!
My S2 did exactly the same thing, but thankfully just rolled to the middle of an empty car park!
Its common in cars with bigger brakes, I have RS4 on mine and ALWAYS park with it in gear for this exact reason

As for damage, it looks like bumper(?), wings, headlamps?
Any decent bodyshop should be able to sort it quite easily.

As bad and annoying as it is, imagine if those bollards had not of stopped it!

Spot on and it was 30 degrees that day ( Cyprus ) yeah i know what you mean it could of been a lot worse so i have to look on the bright side just a pain the *** i didnt need!

Well i will approach them with what you stated and see what they say! c

Cheers buddy

Any other help would be appreciated.

Unfortunatly I think you would have a very hard time convincing Audi that something was faulty, as they would simply put it on the hand brake testing rollers and say its working fine (which unfortunately for you, it is)
I think its just going to have to be a live and learn experience.
I was lucky enough to learn the easy way, someone knocked on my door to ask why I had parked in the middle of car park, when I went out to it I was totally stumped!
Years ago I went to a track day, and loads of RS4 drivers were coming off the track and putting blocks behind the wheels, I had no idea why at the time, but its obvious now....

I hope not but we shall see, i will get the extent of the damages by the end of the day, so i will approach them about a number of things and see what happens!

Thanks for your help!

Ouch!

I need to show this to my wife,
i've tried to expalin why you should leave it gear but she doesnt listen! :banghead:

Wow, lucky those bollards were there for sure. Sorry to see that mate, but as people have commented it should be a fairly simple job, stick the headlight on ebay if they're not too badly damaged they sell repair kits for them at Audi :eyebrows: You learn something new everyday....

The repair kits are only for the attachment parts that sometimes snap of, not the fascia which its clearly broken, the internals maybe of use given they're bixenon, make sure if audi dont cough up that you keep all the old parts as maybe have resale value.

As for damage, wings, 1 headlight I can see, bumper as its snapped the fixings on the sides, possibly damage behind the wings bent some metal fixing points, dont think its damaged anything else.

Ok well i have my repair bill from Audi: Front wings L+R, Front Bumper, Plus both headlights, now i know one of the headlights is in perfect condition visually, i have not tested them yet but will have to as they have told me they will both need replacing, i asked what exactly was wrong with the lights they stated both of the lenses were broken now from the picture above, you and i both know that one is fine, so i will pop in on monday and check them myself.

They quoted me 2993 EUR the headlights alone are 1200 EUR so to save on one would make a massive difference, if i am to sell the other one for internal parts how much should i be looking to get for it ?

Thanks for all the help thus far.

So sorry to hear this, nightmare! If anything you've made us more liable to leave the car in gear now