Car's got to go...

Scamps

Reaction score
After covering 30,000 mile in 11 months, my car has to go back as I've changed jobs and it's a company car.... Has been reliable, plenty quick enough and a well equipped, comfortable place to cover the miles, so it will be missed.:bye:
I'm feeling mixed emotions however, as my new companies policy is a BMW, but I don't know what model. I've always preferred Audis, but BMW also make very good cars and I'm looking forward to something different.

Just interested if any of you on here have moved from an A3 to a 1-series/3-series? (Most likely option). What were the good & bad points? I should collect the new car from the dealers tomorrow (ex-demo in metallic black apparently).

Also, I'd like to thank everybody who contributes to this forum and make it the great source of info it is :thumbsup:(even if it led me to spend more money than I'd originally planned..!)

i do prefer audi's but had 2 bmw 3 series and 2 mini coopers s. nothing wrong with bmw, i fact the 2.0 diesel engine is far better than the audi engine imo. sure you enjoy the new car :yes:

I've had a look inside the 1-series/3-series and I do prefer the A3 inside. The A3 interior is by no means new, but it's aged well while the BMWs look bland in comparison. My boss has a 320d (184 bhp) as he took the car allowance and bought privately, but I've not been in it.
I could get a 116d, could be a 320d...... I probably won't sleep well tonight, daft isn't it?!!:blink:

I think I'd rather turn a job down than have to have to have a BMW Company Car. unless it was a 1970's 635Csl

635Csl is a cracker. No option to turn the job down as it was a TUPE transfer. Basically another company has taken over the contracts the team I work within manages. We either accept the new contract (which cannot reduce our pay, holiday entitlement etc), or decline but in doing so waive our rights to any redundancy payments, notice periods blah blah. As my old company had no ongoing position for me, it was either take the role or be jobless very soon...... That paints a bad picture of my new job tho, it looks like it should go well.... as long as I don't get 116d. Not knocking them, just hoping for a 3-series (did I just say that:no::sorry:)

TUPE transfers.. I thought they were meant to protect your Employment rights. EU Acquired Rights Directive etc. I would be happy to draft a nice letter to challenge your HR policies.. What line of business are you in? Anything to avoid a BMW.... although the GT and Convertible 3 series look good if only they weren't BMW badged....how I hate them.

Similar dilemna here.
I will be taking the allowance in a new position very soon but because of the mileage I will be doing,the S3 may be relegated to the wife and her short cummute so Ive been looking at BMW dervs.
As much as I like the 08- on A4 model, the earlier ones look dated compared to the equivalent 3series.
Looking at private purchase, PCPs , so really not sure.

Keep us updated, would be interested to see what you get and what you think of it.

Cheers
Paul

TUPE transfers.. I thought they were meant to protect your Employment rights. EU Acquired Rights Directive etc. I would be happy to draft a nice letter to challenge your HR policies.. What line of business are you in? Anything to avoid a BMW.... although the GT and Convertible 3 series look good if only they weren't BMW badged....how I hate them.

Never seen anyone hate a whole company (BMW) as you PilotAudi. Take it your Audi through and through?

No news today unfortunately:(. The car is in the dealership, but as the company I now work for has just been set up (therefore has no trading history) they are struggling to to arrange the finance. Some customers we've always used won't give us a credit account for the same reason + our operator vans + engineer vans also need replacing which may be an issue (I work as a contractor for quarry operators around the country).
Don't know when it will be resolved, but I'll post up the details of what I get......

@ PilotAudi - TUPE does protect your rights, but all it means is I'm entitled to a company vehicle as my contract does not stipulate a price range, type etc.... The other consideration is BIK payments as my A3 is very good on this front..... Why won't they just tell me, the suspense is driving me :wacko:

I've been told now that the finance is being arranged tomorrow, so I can pick up tomorrow. I've heard this a couple of times in the past week, so I'm not holding my breath. Won't post again now until I've got it + pictures.....
On a side note, I did some acceleration tests in the B7 A4 2.0 tdi I had before (@120,000 mile) and I've the same tests again in my A3 to compare to what ever it is I get. My A3 @ 30,000 mile is no quicker than the heavier A4 with the older PD 140bhp diesel????:huh: I wasn't expecting a big difference, but I thought the new CR engines were meant to be quicker (esp in a lighter car). Not scientific, but averaging three runs standing start to a fixed point, the speed reached is the same (79, my remapped 130tdi Leon mk1 reached 85). I can vouch for how much more refined the CR is though.

Never seen anyone hate a whole company (BMW) as you PilotAudi. Take it your Audi through and through?

Earlier BMW's were OK.. 70's 2002ti, 635CSL etc but from the late 80's IMHO became very CHAV /Flash Git and the Quality of the current ones is pretty poor in comparison to Audi. I do like the look of the new GT though and as they say never say never....but not yet!

bmw's=run flats no thanks = bad back lol

False information this is. I ran a 1 series for 3 years and 70k miles and it was supremely comfortable. There is an "anti run-flat" bandwagon, but usually jumped on by people who haven't actually spent any time in a bmw equipped with these. Also, bmw customer service is faultless. My wedding ring had scratched the gear lever and they replaced it under warranty. I always got treated really well, even though it was a 1 series I had. I dont understand peoples hate towards cars that they have never driven for any period of time, and therefor are in no position to comment. I hope my audi dealer can match what I am used to with both jaguar and previously bmw.

False information this is. I ran a 1 series for 3 years and 70k miles and it was supremely comfortable. There is an "anti run-flat" bandwagon, but usually jumped on by people who haven't actually spent any time in a bmw equipped with these. Also, bmw customer service is faultless. My wedding ring had scratched the gear lever and they replaced it under warranty. I always got treated really well, even though it was a 1 series I had. I dont understand peoples hate towards cars that they have never driven for any period of time, and therefor are in no position to comment. I hope my audi dealer can match what I am used to with both jaguar and previously bmw.

Agree, its no like you have to replace run flats with run flats!

My A3 is the worst riding car i've ever owned, M sport BM's with run flats are not as bad as S line suspension IMO

Agreed,my 123d is a very nice place to be-even on runflats and the leather seats are up with the best.This is my second 1series having previously run a 130i so they must be doing something right.
Have always liked the S3 though and would definitely consider one.Have to say i do prefer the pre-facelift..:think:

Well, it arrived.........

P3090876.jpg

P3090872.jpg

P3090882.jpg

318d M-Sport with 5,000 mile on the clock..... I wasn't expecting an M-Sport at all, so today has been a good day. It's got 17" wheels + runflats so I'll see first hand how the ride is with runflat tyres. It seems good so far.
Has Bluetooth + Elec fold mirrors & Met Black paint as options and what seems to be a very good spec as standard. Cruise, Alcantara sports seats, elec side bolsters :)huh:), Rear parking sensors. Engine is the same power as my A3 (although less torque I think) and seems comparable on performance.
Sorry to leave the Audi fold, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the new toy. Thanks again for all the help this site has provided:thumbsup:

Oh dear.. at least it's a nice colour. Make sure you stop using indicators (most BMWs rarely indicate) as it will be a giveaway that you are an ex Audi driver ;-0