ASDA

sportback A3

Reaction score
Asda are selling Castrol Magnatec 5w30 with a vw 505 00 standard on it..
Will this go in my 54 plate 2.0 tdi ? its £3.00 per Ltr btw

Cheers Fossie..

I've just purchased the car, and Evans Halshaw did an oil n filter change as part of their pre sale preparation.. I'm guessing they didn't use anything expensive, so i'm changing it to give me peace of mind. Spotted this on Asda's shelf and thought i'd ask all those in the know on here....

I was in Asda on Saturday and noticed it as well. Just had my service done by VAG independent so didn't need any !!

Its on sale too in Tesco for £22 as is Castrol Edge which is great, Halfrauds sell it for £46 so even with trade discount its cheaper to go to Tesco/Asda. When I looked at the Magnatex one though I could have sworn it said for Opel and Ford and had no mention of 505 00 or 507 00? Could be wrong though...

could someone explain the difference? if they've already got a 5W30 rating, what's the other rating for?

5w30 is just the "thickness" of the oil. The other rating is for things like ash content and other oil techy stuff. Effectively ignore the "5w30" and get the stuff which matches the VW rating for your motor.

This oil thing always confuses me....

Saw this (see below) in Asda the other day.... So, for a 2.0T is this a yes or no???
And what is the difference between these Castrol Edge for £10, and the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 for £3??? (apart from £7!!)

edgene.jpg

This oil thing always confuses me....

Saw this (see below) in Asda the other day.... So, for a 2.0T is this a yes or no???
And what is the difference between these Castrol Edge for £10, and the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 for £3??? (apart from £7!!)

The Edge is in a lovely gold bottle. Well worth the extra £7 per litre...:p

I put 5-30w Edge in my S3 - whichever one has the correct VW50x code for my engine...

From what I can gather the Magnatec meets the VW 505 00 standard which is for older ( pre 2000 ) diesels according to the opieoils site.

Edge 5w30 meets 504 00 and 507 00 which is for new diesel / petrol cars. It's the same stuff as supplied with my car in the top-up pouch in the boot.

I picked up two litres on Sunday from Asda for £10 a litre. Seems like the cheapest place at the moment, it's £16.99 in Halfords.