Whining Noise?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
Whilst driving today, I noticed that my cars begun to start making a whining noise whilst accelerating softly in 1st gear, I only really noticed it in 1st.

Its a strange noise, a bit like the noise the gearbox makes when reversing, except its not as loud... and im going forwards.

Has anyone got any ideas?! Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Does a 1.6 have a turbo, if so then could just be this, wouldnt worry if it hasnt shown anyother symptoms like power loss etc as mostly normal, if you had power loss then could be turbo issues, loose piping, variety of issues.

Does a 1.6 have a turbo, if so then could just be this, wouldnt worry if it hasnt shown anyother symptoms like power loss etc as mostly normal, if you had power loss then could be turbo issues, loose piping, variety of issues.

No, the power would be unbearable if it did ;)

lmfao, tbh who needs a turbo when there's a speed camera at every turn, so no need for boost lol

lmfao, tbh who needs a turbo when there's a speed camera at every turn, so no need for boost lol

You dont have to tell me, Ive had experience with the mobile speed van scameras before! I actually think the 1.6 is enough for everyday, and being 19, the insurance companies dont let me drive anything quicker really!

Honestly though, its a funny noise, kind of a gearbox whine? But after 16000 miles, the gearbox should be fine! So Im a bit puzzled?!

Dealer visit chap, get it checked under warranty.

Dealer visit chap, get it checked under warranty.

Thanks mate.. its service light came on last week, and I wasnt going to do it just yet, but they're going to sting me for that now aswell :( Hope its nothing too bad!

My first instinct would be to try and work out if the sound is related to the speed or throttle position.

My first instinct would be to try and work out if the sound is related to the speed or throttle position.

Thanks, Its clearest in 1st gear upto around 3000 RPM with gentle acceleration, then the engine is too loud to hear it. Its quite a clear whine though, its the same noise thats heard when its in reverse. Ive had people in the car these last couple of days, and both have noticed it!

:think:

First thing would be to check the oil level. (Gearbox)

Hi everyone,

I have a 1.6 A3 Sportback 8P and have exactly the same issue, except the noise over the week has been getting worse and is audable in gears 1-3.

A3 Sport... Did the dealer ever get to the bottom of the problem?

Also tell me about insurance costs! I'm 21 and every month I get stung by the Direct Debit!

Many thanks,

- Mark

Normally direct debit is expensive with most insurers as they whack a stupid APR on. Admiral who I'm with charge like 35% apr, which means my insurance nearly doubles by the time it's paid. Stick on a credit card and pay it off that way, not nearly as much interest on that!
Does it make the noise if you back off the throttle and coast?

I'm with Admiral too, but that's good advice mate I will do that at renewal!

The noise goes when coasting.

Cheers,

- Mark

Yup, my current Leon Cupra insurance is £1290, with their APR, it was over £2500 by the time it's paid, it's ridiculous. But then there's companies that charge a few pound extra a month for direct debit, but won't insure young drivers. Catch 22!

Does the noise go when you come off the throttle or only when you come off the clutch?

If it's the former, it's most likely an engine problem.
If it's the latter, a gearbox problem seems more likely.
If it's still there when coasting in neutral, it's probably to do with the wheels or drivetrain.

What happens if you skip 1st and accelerate from 0 in 2nd?

Mine's going back to Audi under warranty tomorrow, fingers crossed it's covered! Will keep you posted.

A3 Sport.... How did you get on?

- Mark

Mine's going back to Audi under warranty tomorrow, fingers crossed it's covered! Will keep you posted.

A3 Sport.... How did you get on?

- Mark

Sorry Ive only just read all these new posts. Just for the record it was the Input Shaft Bearing, and sounds as though Mark has the same problem.

Dan :thumbsup: