High mileage OK?

MartayMcFly

Booooooost
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm still hunting for my 8L's replacement, sadly the one I had my eye on was snapped up before I got back so I'm back on the ol' autotrader. My question is simply about mileage, and buying cars with high ones - what does everyone think is sensible for a 2007 S3? I've learned my lesson of saving a bit of money on a leggy example since I'm still paying to sort my current 8L - bought it at 106k, now on 115k - but there must be some middle ground that's safe.

There are a few 8Ps for sale with less than 30k, but would saving a grand or so and getting one with closer to 50k be stupid? Maybe even 60k? Coming up to 4 years old means that's only 15k a year... doesn't sound so bad, right?

What specific servicing items should I be looking for on "better traveled" cars? Why do S3s have to be so hard to buy? What's a hypotenuse? Actually, ignore that last one. Or two.

Thanks
Martin

MY 2006(55) had 112k when I bought it.. still sweet as a nut! just rubber in the bushes/suspension that are needing work!

Yes Guys but you are running oil burners, The op was asking about S3's.
My view of S3's is stretch yourself to afford the lowest mileage you can simply because it will be easier to sell when you pass it on. don't think , its only 50k, think will i be able to get much back at 80k when i sell it.
Prices vary a huge amount. I have watched a 2010 S3 with RNSE and cruise etc sit in Baisingstoke Audi for months and the price has now dropped from £28k to £26k....I know of a 2009 DSG with every extra inc buckets for £25k so bear that in mind when looking at 2007. Try and find one thats not been messed with maps and exhaust etc. Better to do your own mods than buy an unknown ex boy racer car. Think possible clutch and Turbo maybe after 70k miles. For that reason maybe think dealer and a warranty might be worth the extra dosh ? Remember its an Audi and a premium brand so if its cheap then there is probably a very good reason. take your time and find the right one, Good luck :)

Agree with Paddy on the mileage thing. Unless its really cheap, that grand is better spent on a car with less miles. I do 10K miles per year, so when looking at a 30K v 50K car, I see that 20K as 2 years motoring so a grand isnt a lot in those terms.
Mods are Ok if you know the car or its from a trusted source IMO.

I might know where there is a nice pampered sprint Blue 57 plate with only 34K on it for way less than £20K........:yum:

You are under selling that Paul, its human nature to have doubts about things you own or are selling but you need to look at it with the buyers eyes..and he is going to see a one of the best S3's about from what i have seen.

Sounds tempting Paul, but I'm after a Moro blue or Meteor/Lava/Dolphin grey (whichever one it is that they did MY07s in).

Last edited:
You are under selling that Paul, its human nature to have doubts about things you own or are selling but you need to look at it with the buyers eyes..and he is going to see a one of the best S3's about from what i have seen.

Yeah, cheers mate.
With my recent change in circumstances Im trying to keep it for the wife and get myself a derv for commuting but if I had a fair offer I would (reluctantly) let it go.
It has had the essential mods done IMO, map/H&Rs/RNSE and has pretty much every option bar buckets, original ding free bodywork etc...
£100 could see it back to std too with a reflash and stock springs replaced which I have kept.
Respectfully used for 34K on V Power, recent brakes and clutch and just about have the CHs refurbed.
All the reasons why I want it!

Hopefully it will be the antidote to commuting in a leggy 320derv everyday....however my old man has his mint teeny miles S2000 coming up for sale soon......Mmmmmm....

Anyhoo, back on topic, Good luck with the S3 hunt and hold out for sensible miler and good spec. Patience is the key here. I spent a while looking but pleased I did as Ive ended up keeping the car for 3 years because it was exactly what I wanted.

Paul

Last edited: