2007 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2.0TDI 170BHP - DSG Snatching when setting off. Normal??

VAG_BADGER

Ricers in the rear view!
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a customer that has a 2007 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2.0TDI 170BHP and when I drove it the DSG box seemed to snatch in and out of drive very harshly. The gears change fine when on the move but when manoeuvring forwards or in reverse it seems to dump the clutch in and out severely with only slight pressure on the accelerator. It's sometimes so severe that it 'bangs' in to drive but is always noticeable to me.

I have myself a 2005 2.0 TDI 140 BHP with DSG and even though i get the usual DSG delays sometimes it's nothing comparing to this. I was wondering if this is because the car is an '07 and 170 BHP as it seems to go through the gears more quickly than mine and stays higher up the rev range while also changing more instantly.

I know they do have issues with the mechatronics unit, and this one has had a replacement after 11K miles by VW (now on 63K), which is why I have a spare for mine!

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

My 07 Passat 170tdi snatched at pull away almost from new. My supplying dealer kept fiddling with it (software etc.) and it always felt better when I left the dealers. I wondered if it was being reset and then started snatching again as it learnt my driving style.
In the end I tried a different dealer and they changed the mechatronics unit. It now works very well its just a pity I had to put up with the fault for two and a half years.
My only remaining complaint with the gearbox is that it takes an eternity to engage reverse gear and if you don't wait before pushing the accelerator it will (obviously) snatch as drive engages.

Thanks for the reply, i suspect the mechatronics unit on this car but wanted peoples experiences before I dive in!