HID Kits Help Please

DSG TDI

Reaction score
So i have been looking on ebay at HID kits and was wondering if anyone had fitted a HID kit to there cars. Also what strength to get eg 6000K or 12000K what is the leagal limit as i like a slight blue tint.
Any help or info would be great thanks.

if your car doesnt have xenons as standard whatever kit you fit will blow your wiper motor... youll need to retrofit OEM xenon headlights and all the related bits and bobs

Oh right and no doubt the oem parts are stupidly expencive thanks for the info.

if your buying them new... then yes, but you can pick them up on places like ebay for an awful lot less

Just found one headlight on ebay for £200 i think il leave it thanks lol.

Just found one headlight on ebay for £200 i think il leave it thanks lol.

There are at least 20 threads on here recently about HID's.

Do a search and have a read because you will also see that you can't just fit xenons. Legally you need auto-levelling sensors and headlight washers !

Aftermarket HID kits are Illegal.

The UK Construction and Use Regulations make no provision for HID's at all. This means that HID's are not allowed in the UK. Manufacturer's get round this by holding European type approval for their designs and vehicles which hold this can be used in the UK as it overrules the C+U Regulations. However fitting them to a non-type approved headlamp unit without the prerequisite auto levelling and washing systems would not meet the type approval and are therefore illegal.

For more information see this DoT information sheet: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

how come HIDS blow the motor on a3 and not a4 ?

I had HIDs in my old car and light out put was good, Mine didnt blind anyone but i put it to the fact of the design of my headlamps but on a whole i have been blinded by cars using them and its one of those areas where you either ban the lot of them full stop as you cant let some slip through the net because there not as bad as the other.

On this point anyone have any suggestion on some nice white bulbs, I have been looking at the phillips bulbs etc but if anyone has some photos for comparisons that would be good

You can get kits that will work with audi, seat systems etc. There some on ebay or just search for one