What cleaner to use to clean the exhaust pipes?

J@ke

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As the topic really: the exhaust pipes on my 3.2 got black and I don’t drive a diesel ;) (no offence)
What will you use to get them shiny again?

Thanks,
Regards,
Jake.

Autosol metal polish and some wire wool will do the trick.

Make sure the wire wool is grade #0000 (very fine). This should prevent any scratching off the pipes.

Wearing a pair off rubber gloves to protect your fingers and hands, dip the steel wool into a bowl of soapy water, and simply rub gently around the pipes, removing as much off the oxidized exhaust soot.

Be patient with this, and you should get 'em nice and clean.

Then use the Autosol cream - simply apply finely using a soft microfibre cloth, making sure to continue polishing the pipes rather than just 'applying' the cream, and wipe it off using a dry microfibre towel. You will notice that the cloth goes pretty black - even if the pipes were VERY clean - this is normal.

Job done :icon_thumright:

Thanks Everyone, I will give it a go

Regards,
Jake.

wire wool i find, using different grades as light scratches can be polished out easily enough.....used in combo with autosol......and lots of elbow!!

I now finish off with Britmax twins cutter and polisher

Which reminds me - I must get round to doing mine now it is starting to get warmer.

Autosol for me too, but I use the cotton that you get on a roll to clean mine, so that I can throw it away afterwards rather than ruin a microfibre cloth.

Paul

Autoglym Metal Polish or Autosol Metal Polish?

What do you think?

Autoglym Metal Polish or Autosol Metal Polish?

What do you think?

I have only ever used Autosol.... Don't know what the Auto Glym stuff is like. I used Auto Glym everything else though....

I have only ever used Autosol.... Don't know what the Auto Glym stuff is like. I used Auto Glym everything else though....
The autoglym stuff I find to be less abrasive than Autosol. So in general it's better for maintaining, but not harsh enough for cleaning real dirty pipes.

just get yourself the Autosol mate, brillo pads are good for cleaning the pipes before polishing them.

Will buy Autosol and try to get hold of brillo pads at halfords. Thanks again.

Will buy Autosol and try to get hold of brillo pads at halfords. Thanks again.

Do you have a local 'general store' ? They'd sell Autosol in there for a few quid, and you'd be able to buy the grade 0000 steel wool, which would be more effective than the brillo pad, imo

might be a stupid question but can the exhaust tips/trims be removed or are they welded on? mine needs polished too

autosol is by far and away the best alloy/chrome polish, i tried the autoglym and was very dissapointed.

Elbo grease is all thats needed with a bit of wire wool and then either of the autoglym or autosol. Just put your back into it and you'll get a cracking result....

I have autosol myself but find it takes a hell of a lot of work to clean mucky pipes.......