MFSW airbag fitment problem

Shane.

Reaction score
Basically bought a mfsw off of someone on here went to fit it today and the airbag doesn't quite fit. They have the same screw angle (have read about problems before with this) but it's as though the airbag is too wide by a few mil. The only thing we can see if that my airbag is dual stage so possibly slightly bigger? The steering wheel is off an A4 but read that the only thing usually different is the thread pattern (some on an angle some go straight in)

Thanks
Shane

There is a plastic ring that fits inside the steering wheel that the airbag sits into.

If you have an A3 airbag then the ring is different from the one fitted to an A4. Also I found that the screw angle was different.

On mine I had to ditch the wheel and get one that I knew would fit !

Mmm it's looking that way my options seem to be either source an A4 airbag, an A3 steering wheel or a complete setup :(

Show a pic of the underside of your airbag please & the inner of your wheel, this will help.

The wheels are interchangeable between different models (I have a Q7 one on mine) but afaik there are 2 types of airbag fitment.

A3012.jpg

A3011.jpg

The top picture is how mine is now the bottom one is how the new wheel looks. May of sourced a new wheel and airbag combination at a good price now so hopefully that should all work, hoping to sale the mfsw and my standard S Line wheel & Airbag to make some money back

Thanks
Shane

You will notice that the screw angle is different between the top pic and the bottom pic.

The top one is an A3 wheel and the bottom one an A4 wheel.

The airbags, whilst appearing the same with a quick glance, have a different frame and screw angle and the connector is in a different place. !

The plastic ring that the airbag sits in is also different.

Three solutions :- either an A3 wheel and new airbag wiring harness; an A4 airbag and wiring harness; or an A3 wheel and airbag complete.

You will notice that the screw angle is different between the top pic and the bottom pic.

The top one is an A3 wheel and the bottom one an A4 wheel.

The airbags, whilst appearing the same with a quick glance, have a different frame and screw angle and the connector is in a different place. !

The plastic ring that the airbag sits in is also different.

Three solutions :- either an A3 wheel and new airbag wiring harness; an A4 airbag and wiring harness; or an A3 wheel and airbag complete.

Not quite true tbh, I've had 2 A3's and they were both different as per the pictures

If you look the 2 pics, you will notice 1 has some stud locators aswell, a mate bought a new wheel & found this issue with his airbag, also the airbag connectors are set at a different angle to norm, apparently they only did this fitment for a very limited period according to a wheel guy I know of, but who knows.

Shane, PM me pics of your airbag from top & underneath as I might be interested if its the correct 1.

Will get them to you soon as new wheel arrives nige

Thanks
Shane