8P A3 2.0 TDI....Concerned about clutch not handling post chip power !!

Pieboy79

Reaction score
Deepest darkest Dorset (our roads frickin rock!)
Hey guys really hope I'm not flogging an old thread but can't find a relevant one on here..

Am flogging the Cupra 1.8 T Leon and want to move into the world of torquey diesel power !! used to work in a VAG prep centre so am very familiar with the awesome pull the TDI's provide, but as a man..I obviously want more, Has anyone managed to keep the standard clutch with a 200+bhp re map ?

I'm guessing an OEM upgraded clutch would be a good idea straight away but I am willing to put up with a little slippage when cold.

Yes... I am a noob :sos:
Awesome site so far btw

Peace and Pastry to all

You could keep the standard clutch and see how long it lasts. If you want max torque you'l need a clutch upgrade. Sachs is the best imo

hi mate im concerned bout the same thing. i want to map my 2.0tdi 140. stage 1 will take it to 185bhp. but concerened about the clutch alot of people say it will be fine if not drove hard to often.

hello their im normally on the 8L forum i have a 8L S3 stage 2. my company car is a 170tdi ibis white black edition i litterally had the car mapped at autograph 4 hrs after the car being delivered lol, its 2 years old in may and ive covered 57,000 miles with the giac remap, it really is as sweet as a nut and the clutch is perfect. i hope this helps with your decision.

im running 231 bhp on a standard oem clutch ,as long as your not hammering the car off the lights it will hold up

I think we are forgetting one major fact, the car is rated with a maximum curb weight and a 100k mile warranty. So you can trust that all the running gear components of the car are good for a little more strain and stress.

Unless you are 5 people up, boot full of gear and a roof rack on! And then running huge amounts more power you are good for the sort of increases you will see from a main stay chip company.