'09 A3: Motorola Droid X connects but no directory

rjstevens48

Reaction score
I upgraded my old Windows Mobile phone to a Motorola Droid X. The old phone worked well via the bluetooth connection in my A3. I had no problems pairing and connecting the new Droid X with the nav bluetooth. And the phone re-connects immediately after starting the car. But nothing I've tried makes the phone directory available to the car system. When the left steering wheel mode button is pressed, "Please Wait.." is displayed. The phone receives calls, originates calls (from both the phone and manually from Nav interface,) but the directory won't transfer from the phone to the car. I've explored multiple forums and tried a number of suggestions: Various configurations for the Contact list on the phone, resetting the phone configuration in the Nav, etc. Nothing seems to change the above symptoms. Any ideas?

Have you enabled within BT options on the handset authorised each time, check the phonebook for any locks or authorised settings, its usually something minor.

Nokia N series iirc needed an external contact manager to get this to work from handset, real pita, hope its not a repeat as all BT enabled devices should have the same protocols as such for connectivity.

Thanks very much for the reply!
I've researched everything I can find from the phone side... both Motorla support and forums and Android support and forums. I don't think I've missed anything in the Droid X settings. The "Contacts" environment on the phone is a bit complicated, because it includes contacts stored locally on the phone as well as Gmail contacts, but I have entries in both locations and still nothing is seen by the Nav system in my A3. It's documented on Audi's site that the Droid X is "officially" supported for the 2010 A3 so I had hopes for my 2009.
Thanks again.

Well if its MY10 onwards then you may need an upgrade of your BT unit, which I can do if at all interested.

I like beeing on the bleeding edge. Is an upgrade software only, or does it involve hardware?

I'd certainly consider an upgrade. Please let me know what's involved.
Thanks.

Are you sure you checked all your settings correctly cause if previous handset showed everything it cant be the BT module at fault tbh, maybe a compatibility issue on your version with the new handset of course, exhaust all BT/Contact settings 1st then look at other avenues.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hope to share efforts with someone trying to integrate the same phone.

Well option is to upgrade the unit which then should work fine, ideally need to know what version unit your car has now to see if it has latest or not, but I think its an older unit MY09 cars.

I had it with my nokia X6, when i checked phone compatability on audi website it said i could not use the phone book. So i sent it back and got one that allows you to go through the phone book

The BT on my MY09 S3 works just fine with my HTC Desire. All of my contacts are stored under my Gmail account (Top Tip BTW) and the car reads them just fine. AFAIK there are no settings that may block them being accessed by the BT unit.

What version of Android are you on?

Think droids are 2.1, not sure if they released an update, whats the Desire running now & how you find that Leon, as I need new touch phone.

Think droids are 2.1, not sure if they released an update, whats the Desire running now & how you find that Leon, as I need new touch phone.

It depends on your network. Most are running 2.2 now and Three have announced 2.3 "soon" lol

The Desire S is the one to wait for mate, it'll be running 2.3 out of the box, has better hardware and Sense 2.1. It should be out around about Easter I think.

TBH mate, these phones are all becoming much the same, I used to change mine for latest every 6 months, now havnt swapped for few years as there's been a spate of really crap slow handsets that sent back, including HTC, until they stuck decent cpu's in theirs.

I remember HTC Touch which was 1st one I used, to say the touch screen was crap is an understatement, press 9 untold times & eventually it would recognise the number, Orange happily accepted them back & gave me another HTC handset, equally crap lol, but now they seem allot better from my testing anyway, iphones cant stand, others well just seem just not there although the Galaxy S has caught my eye but someone said its a toyrus handset, so maybe time to return to HTC now, we'll see.

I was reading something about the HTC Desire HD was probably best to have than the Desire S as pretty much same hardware, only difference is OS & damn site cheaper, further research to do tbh.

I can't comment on older HTCs as the Desire is the first one. Build quality is very good but the chassis of the HD is better and it's the same one the Desire S will have.

The Samsung Galaxy S is a good phone too but I prefer the slick look of Sense, Samsung's just looks like the basic Android interface.

HTC just gives a bit more for similar money. For example 'Facebook for HTC Sense' will download all of your FB contacts to the phone and then find of your own contacts with the same name and link them together. Any details that contact has on their profile such as their birthday or email address will then be shown. It blew me away a year ago when I got the phone and it still blows people away now when I show them! lol The other day I added someone's number to my phone who was already a FB contact. I then told her her birthday and email address and got her to call me so it showed her profile picture on my screen, she now wants a Desire!

TBH I just want a slick, quick GUI, wifi ap, hspda & maybe a few useful apps, seems HTC has some that maybe fit this atm.

Facebook isnt part of my life tbh, only have time for ASN these days & that has become less & less cause of Issy lol, but I can see how these features have benefitted others like yourself, maybe my stance will change later, but I leave FB to the missus :) noting she has her own laptop (thought ahead, lmfao)

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Since I started it, I've initiated similar threads in other forums, and received no relevant information. It's been nearly a month since I acquired the Droid X and connected with the Nav system in the A3, and yesterday, just for kicks, I hit the [Mode] button and lo and behold, the "Please Wait" display had been replaced by my phone contacts. I can associate the event with no change made in the car or phone environment. Go figure. Must be something in the air. Anyway... all is well and I appreciate all your input. BTW... the version of Android OS in my phone is 2.2.1, as released by Verizon.

Thanks again,
Bob