Auto or Econ heating?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
When in Auto mode, is it using the air-con compressor therefore using more fuel? And when in Econ mode, is it just a manual blower like in most non-aircon cars?

Compressor is running, the Econ button is like the off switch for the air con so if thats not pressed it'll still run

I pretty sure auto just sends the air to the vents it thinks need the air (or what ever) but the econ button turns the compressor on/off.
So if neither is pressed i assume it spreads the air to all the vents and is using the compressor since its not in eco mode.

TBH I usually use econ mode, but occassionally use aircon just so the compressor gets some exercise as non use is not good for the unit, as it can get stuck or squeal with prelonged non usage.

mine climate is completely off most of the time. one the car's warm there's not really much point keeping it on. saves me fuel too :)

I use "auto" all the time...

So do I. Just let it do it's thing in the winter and summer.

As for it saving fuel... Not a believer of that old tale. Maybe 20 years ago on a Granada or Sierra but today engines and methods are designed to take the running onboard. The compressor won't run if the temp is below 5 degrees anyway, so that most of the the winter and in the summer if you don't have the aircon, people generally have the window open which causes drag and uses more fuel!

So do I. Just let it do it's thing in the winter and summer.

As for it saving fuel... Not a believer of that old tale. Maybe 20 years ago on a Granada or Sierra but today engines and methods are designed to take the running onboard. The compressor won't run if the temp is below 5 degrees anyway, so that most of the the winter and in the summer if you don't have the aircon, people generally have the window open which causes drag and uses more fuel!

obviously it'll be car dependent but Mythbusters demonstrated that below 40mph it's more fuel efficient to have your window open. the drag costs less fuel than the electrics running the air con.

Think I will stick with the Climate... Having the window down would mess my hair up!!! :icon_thumright:

You should also run it on a regular basis to ensure that the seals are lubricated so that you don't spring a leak in the system.

Well acording to my mate who is a mechanic and works on aircon systems.

Paul

It does make a difference to fuel economy as there's a big load on the engine. Whether you notice, or care, is another matter.