AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    SerialAudiOffender

Status

ABT front bumper grill conversion info needed

Hi there,

I'm collecting my 54 reg A3 2.0 TDi S line DSG tomorrow and really want to convert the two grill front end to a single using the ABT conversion that I've seen posted here a few times.

I've done various searches but still cannot find where to get a hold of this part, or even how much it costs. If anyone can help with info, or even if you have one for sale I'd be grateful .

I've got a B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport at present, but have decided to get this A3 as a runaround as both the wife and I love the Audi and too often fight over who's relegated to using the Seat Ibiza FR!! I'll be sure to post up some good pics of it as soon as I can.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    ABT dont sell them anymore, they were discontinued a few years ago.

Just keep an eye out on Ebay, i've seen them on there a few times.
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

Interior Next!!

Status
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

SerialAudiOffender

Status
    That's the very fella.......139.00 incl vat.

It maybe ok for a diy job with a tin of paint and some chrome strip, but IMO this looks better and can be removed if required I suppose.

ABT Front Grille | ABT Sportsline | Audi A3 | A3 8P | Aerodynamics | abt-sportsline.co.uk

Cheers guys, will see about getting one.

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MC View Post

It maybe ok for a diy job with a tin of paint and some chrome strip, but IMO this looks better and can be removed if required I suppose.

ABT Front Grille | ABT Sportsline | Audi A3 | A3 8P | Aerodynamics | abt-sportsline.co.uk

no problem pal!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

The Damned

Status
    I have the ABT grille thingy and to be honest for 139 you'd be better of with two chrome strips and a piece of vinyl (Even Carbon fiber vinyl if that tickles your fancy) and do the whole thing for less than a score plus it'd give exactly the same effect

I paid 45 of eBay about 5 years ago for mine and in all honesty you could be waiting another 5 years for them to come up!

Just my pennies worth.....

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Dont do it!

SerialAudiOffender

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Dont do it!
    Why forever not man??

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Because it looks ****e?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J8TT X View Post
    ABT dont sell them anymore, they were discontinued a few years ago.

Just keep an eye out on Ebay, i've seen them on there a few times.
    Sorry!! when I looked for them they were discontinued, but they must of been brought back..
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

6th Gear

Status

Agree with Von Maximo just get two chrome strips, paint or wrap the centre part.
    I wouldnt buy the ABT part myself there was a thread last year about it. Just do the mod yourself diy style or save up and do the single grille conversion looks much better, more oem and worth it in the long run. I have an 8P1 and done the 8P2 conversion only mod i do while i was deciding if i should was spray the split grilles. Best mod i have done if im honest. Plus still gonna see the single grille A3's and wish you done that instead of this mod.
    Just my opinion though. Good luck and enjoy the car

Dont do it!
    Because it looks ****e?
    +1
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

5th Gear

Status

it's glued on permanently so you can't remove it once fitted!

The Damned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkincoupe View Post
    it's glued on permanently so you can't remove it once fitted!
    Just for reference you don't have to use the glue supplied. I didn't fancy glueing mine on permanently so used silicone adhesive and after 5 years it's not moved.

Lukey.T

Status

6th Gear

Status
    139 spent on that is 139 that could have been spent on a single grille front end conversion. it's DEFINITELY not worth it.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

2nd Gear

Status
    to do the conversion dont you need a new bonnet, lights, front bumper etc? that would cost a packet!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by roston100 View Post
    to do the conversion dont you need a new bonnet, lights, front bumper etc? that would cost a packet!!
    8P1 to 8P2 = bumper, grille and bonnet. depending on which bumper you go for you don't even need to change the fogs or fog grilles
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

5th Gear

Status
    Try vinyl wrap.......

2nd Gear

Status
    that looks awesome mate! Can you provide me with a little more info about it ie prices/where to get the wrap from etc? Could be very tempted to do that!

5th Gear

Status
    2 rolls of this from ebay - BLACK MATT VINYL SHEET 1000MM X 610MM SELF ADHESIVE on eBay (end time 27-Feb-11 16:05:56 GMT)

1 of these squeegees from ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1395wt_905

And I used a paint stripper heat gun to warm the vinyl when needed and a Stanley breakaway knife from B&Q so less than 20 total would probably take 3 hours total in warmer weather

Undo 3 torx bolts to release the top of the grill, lift the 2 top corners and flex the grill forwards. Slide hand down behind and release tabs at either side and pull up 6 tabs at the bottom and will then just pull out (I did lose skin on back of hands though)

Bottom grill is really easy once top one is out.

It is best to remove the chrome surrounds from the grilles but you may break some of the chrome section tabs as they are quite brittle. Bottom one was easy to seperate, top one is a bit more tricky. One or 2 isn't a problem more than that and you may need to stick it back on

5th Gear

Status
    Forgot to say - clean thoroughly first as tar spots/etc will cause small air pockets under the vinyl and practice with the vinyl first. I messed up the first 2 attempts just learning what tolerance the vinyl had

events moderator

Status

It is best to remove the chrome surrounds from the grilles but you may break some of the chrome section tabs as they are quite brittle. Bottom one was easy to seperate, top one is a bit more tricky. One or 2 isn't a problem more than that and you may need to stick it back on
    i did this too when i sprayed mine black i broke a few of them but it went back on fine
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

2nd Gear

Status
    only thing id like to do different from the pic is have the chrome strips - can i get some that run down the middle section?

events moderator

Status
    Because it looks ****e?
    i have to agree with n8 on this one for 130 you could get a full frame bumper and grill for that off ebay just need to source a bonnet then hey presto you have the full frame front end job done thats exactly what im doing im not going to waste my money on something like that im going to save up and get the job done properly

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Try vinyl wrap.......
    that's probably the best effort Ive seen at this.

events moderator

Status
    yep agreed good job matey

Lukey.T

Status
    Im well impressed with that 'munchkincoupe'. Looks mint! i'll give it a go once the weather improves

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks

I managed to get hold of a set of split grills with damaged black slats so I'm going to butcher them to get the chrome trims off and do an A1 job with the vinyl as the edges of the chrome on the top section aren't quite covered - you have to be up close to tell though!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by roston100 View Post
    only thing id like to do different from the pic is have the chrome strips - can i get some that run down the middle section?
    Search Audi chrome trim on ebay and comes up with products that a few members have used - just get the right width!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Personally I wouldnt do it, IMHO they dont look good face up, save your money, get it done properly & you will be allot happier, as every one I've seen is blatantly obvious whats been done & looks tacky, remember its just a personal opinion.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by fnmrst View Post
    i have to agree with n8

flying oyster

Status
    do you have to tell insurance when you do full conversion ?
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by flying oyster View Post
    do you have to tell insurance when you do full conversion ?

You should really tell them, i have not told mine. But thats im risk im willing to take. If you dont they wont pay for the same parts if you have an accident and just but the 8P1 front end back on. Thats if they let you claim, it all depends on what insurer you with really.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Any mods that you don't tell the insurance about will invalidate your insurance. If they find out about the mods it's an excuse not to pay out.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPOFF View Post
    Any mods that you don't tell the insurance about will invalidate your insurance. If they find out about the mods it's an excuse not to pay out.
    Thats where you would been wrong i've had two accident. First one needed a new RS6 alloy didnt declare them to my insurance Zurich at the time and they replaced it.
    Second accident last year needed a new S3 front bumper,wing, fog surround, headlight and a few other bits. Not declared anything to Quinn Direct. QD & Helphire authorised repairs to my car. Both times the car been repaired at Audi.

It all depends on the insurance company, how strict there underwriters are with mods and what sort of mods they are. 100% any performance mods that are not delcared they wont cover and probably will void your policy and make you pay for any third party damage.
    But cosmetic mods such as alloys and bumpers they dont rate them as a high risk and if they do cover the repairs to them they will ask you to pay the difference for how long you been insured without them knowning. This is just from my experience working for Directline and The Admiral Group.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Should have read "can invalidate" instead of "will invalidate", and it will still be an excuse not to pay out if they find out about it and don't like the mods.

flying oyster

Status
    mmmm im not lucky with these things so would worry me but if i were to fit 17s inch audi alloys to replace my sports i dont see how they could tell what came with the car when bought secondhand and yes i did say 17s lol
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

Reverse Gear

Status
    Try vinyl wrap.......
    Where did you get that splitter from? i have looked everywhere for one and also how do you get the vinyl to bend and shape so well i would imagine its really difficult??

5th Gear

Status
    It is part of the Audi supplied Votex kit. The vinyl is easy to stretch into corners and bends if you heat it up. I used a paint stripping gun. Just make sure you get a bubble free type vinyl with the channels on the back as it helps to stop air getting trapped and these vinyls tend to be better quality too - cheaper normally means thinner which is easier to rip and chip. I had never worked vinyl before doing this front end either. I'm now carbon fibre wrapping internal door trims