DSG - Take it out of Drive when stationery?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
In my FTO which has a tiptronic box, it's advised that you dont leave it in Drive with your foot on the brake when stationery for too long as this will knacker the torque converter.

Now I know that the A3 doesn't have a torque converter but didn't know whether you still shouldn't leave your foot on the brake when stationery and whether I should just put it into Neutral?

If your just pausing at traffic lights, or waiting at a junction then no need but if your stuck in a jam then yes, but purely to stop blinding the bloke behind you with your brake lights on. I don't think it does damage being stopped in drive under normal driving circumstances....

But what about models with Start/Stop as you have to have your foot on the brake to engage it.

Stop start just needs it to be in neutral and foot off the clutch.

To be honest i never take mine out of drive, might just as well be a manual if you are going to do that especially in traffic.

do DSGs even come with start/stop? i thought it was manuals only

The DSG gearbox has a wet clutch (means it always running in oil). When you stop at lights or anywhere for long periods of time with the engine running, your foot on the brake and in D or S the clutch is sitting at the biting point, the car does not know you have applied the brake and does not put into neutral for you. Its the equivalent of holding a manual car at its biting point on an incline as the car is trying to pull forward slightly.

You must place into N when stopped for a long time, if you have been driving hard you should also place the handbrake off and leave in P to prevent your brakes warping

Also just to add NEVER coast in N!

That suprises me Jules. If i sit on the brake and then release it with no throttle the car goers nowhere for a second or so while the clutch engages. I supose it is also how you define a long time ? It would also depend if you think a wet clutch dragging lightly is actually wearing.

do DSGs even come with start/stop? i thought it was manuals only

Yes, newer facelift DSG's do have start/stop, not sure if it comes as standard or as an option though. Depending on the length of traffic lights, I will put mine to N and handbrake, and on longer lights I will switch off in addition..