Single xenons oem for audi a3 2004 Simple swap for halogens?

chrisy t

Reaction score
Hi, i just wondered, is it a case of simply swapping halogens for xenons? Is it just plug and play? i heard you need coding but not sure what that means? If coding s needed how do ido it?

Cheers

You'll need a wiring adaptor and coding with VCDS, if you don't have that someone on here near you should be able to help you out. Do a search and there will be a guide on doing this mod.

its a srtaight swap but you will get a bulb failure light on the dash, which can be turned off with vagcom

i swaped mine just need to code them and job done

How much could i look at paying for a set? I have seen a set on ebay just now for £450? that seems expensive or is that about right?

Cheers

do you mean changing them for HID bulbs (the one that take about 2 seconds to warm up)? they requre a ballast.... which is why they are expensive if buying oem....

You can buy the headlight unit itself (no ballast bulb ignitor) for about £190 new/ £100+ secondhand on ebay.... also get the ballast on ebayfor £60+, ignitor £30+ and bulbs £30+/ OEM £60.

I got one driver side for sale with all bits required (ballast, ignitor 2 x 6000k bulbs) if your interested let me know mate.

How much you want for it? Am i right in saying then that it will plug straight in and work? the onlything is that it will show a bulb error? but it will still light up? Also can you still change the dip beam on it as usual?

Cheers

No I think you still need to have the adapter plug and have the car coded for the xenon's to work correctly. Sent you a PM :)

the ballast is the box, the bulb is obviously the bulb. but whats the ignitor? is it what the bulb sits in?

Don't forget that if you go ahead with this mod you should also have headlamp washers and auto levelling equipment installed to comply with the law !

Too many people have dazzling xenons because they do not have this equipment.

Fortunately VOSPA is cracking down on the problem and soon it will be part of the MOT afaik.

What is the auto leveling equipment? i thought the single xenons were not auto leveling? Also is the full beam on single xenons also xenon or is that halogen?

p.s. Ive heard that the headlight washers do nothing except spread the dirt and make them even worse! You wold be aswell as just wiping them wen they are dirty!

What is the auto leveling equipment? i thought the single xenons were not auto leveling? Also is the full beam on single xenons also xenon or is that halogen?

p.s. Ive heard that the headlight washers do nothing except spread the dirt and make them even worse! You wold be aswell as just wiping them wen they are dirty!

You'll have to read all the threads mate but I think that any xenons require levelling equipment installed in order to be legal and headlight washers also to ensure that the intense light is not diffused away from the designed beam. Auto-levelling ensures that the light beam stays in the MOT required position regardless of the loading of the vehicle. Sensors are place front and rear and a control unit operates the levelling motor accordingly.

Somebody else will come along and help you but, in the meantime, why don't you go on the VOSPA website and look at the legalities of xenon haedlights ?

Can any other members help me out explaining this so that the OP does not become one of the menacing dazzlers causing serious problems !!

Please :crying:

The auto leveling (AL) system is attached to the axle and is designed, as mike says, to prevent the beam from blinding on coming traffic. There is some debate about the effectiveness of the system and many have fitted OEM xenons without AL- having the beam positioned in the correct place to prevent blinding + MOT failure.

The parts to retrofit fit the auto leveling system (2nd hand) are about £150, fitting is a pita but fairly straightforward from what I have seen in pics online. The headlamp washer kit can also be retrofitted, seems a bit more of a pita than the auto leveling from what I've read, but I'm no expert so it may be the other way round. I think you can add another £500+ to get these 2 bought and fitted.

I think the bottom line here is some people fit AL + headlamp washers some people don't. A lot of folks seem to think VOSA will crack down on this soon, how they will tell gawd only knows... I think it's aimed at aftermarket HID set ups without projectors where AL will never help the ***** beam pattern/ diffusion blinding people, than a well fitted set of OEM xenons (although it states that all vehicles with HID lighting should have washers and auto leveling as Mike rightly points out).

I guess it a case of you roll your dice mate, my new facelift xenons will neither have AL nor washers fitted until this is enforced and I have, I'm sorry mike... hopefully you don't get me driving behind you mate... lol, just kidding..... I know at least 2 others whom have xenons without AL + washers and I haven't been blinded by their lights nor noticed any dodgy beam pattern either.

Last edited:
Wednesday it goes in at ****** last mate, was waiting on a set of wings to arrive from German ebay!

Ok, how do i get hold of the aut leveling? Als, how do i position the headlights without them dazling other drivers? Is there a certain position that i can place them? like is there a setting or something? Also once single xenons are fitted, can i not use my dippe beam control from in the car to move the beam up or down, or will that switch no longer do anything?

Cheers