New A3 1.8T FSI Information Regarding Tuning

Farhan

Reaction score
Hi all recently signed up and have been on a strong search for the right model to come up.

I understand this engine came fairly recently in the newer A3 Range, Im not to clued up on this engine at all but have been reading up regarding tuning and theres not alot of information about it.

Im familiar with the companies offering remaps and gains, IE Revo etc.

I have been to a few german meets and never really seen any up till now, What i wanted to know was which turbo these use, KO3s or KO4s.

Also many may ask my decision to go for this engine, i originally wanted the 2.0T FSi but its proving an absolute nightmare to insure and im looking at around 5k, Im sticking with this one as its the most reasonable for me to insure and around 250 cheaper than my corolla t-sport.

Are there any people here with remaps, Gains any other work carried out to these? Im not after crazy power but i atleast want it a fair bit quicker than my previous car. I have had a look for simple things like intakes, I can see a few millteks but not many other things. Any help info on this engine would be most appreciated. :sm4:

it definitely won't use a K04 - i can't be more help as i don't drive a 1.8T! surely a standard 1.8T is faster than a Corolla. even the fastest version was meant to have crap power delivery and hence was a lot slower than the Mk5 GTI

it definitely won't use a K04 - i can't be more help as i don't drive a 1.8T! surely a standard 1.8T is faster than a Corolla. even the fastest version was meant to have crap power delivery and hence was a lot slower than the Mk5 GTI

Hm interesting its odd but not many people are aware of the abilities of the corolla t-sport, the 1.8tfsi produces 160bhp on paper compared to the corolla making 190 with high lift. the corolla also weighs in nearly 100kg lighter and is well set up in terms of gearing, each shift keeps you in the power band. Toyotas figures for the car were really poor and one of the big reasons it was slated on the hot hatch market.

Im fully aware of going for the 1.8tfsi its going to be alot slower in stock form but with a bit of work it should hit the 200 barrier quite comfortably.

I wouldnt be to sure on a standard mk5 GTI vs the compressor, A Standard GTI MK5 bhp a ton works out lower than a 190bhp t-sport! If we work out figures here the GTI pulls out 7bhp more yet weighs in at 128kg heavier yet the technology of the 2zz-ge used in the corolla dates back to 2001 and the vehicles NA. I wouldnt call it crap at all, The engines bullet proof and won international engine of the year between the performance 1.6-1.8 category in 2001.

Im looking forward to the 1.8T however just need to gather more info on it as all i can seem to find are millteks and remaps only no sign of intakes etc.

Thanks for your input however

OP:

As you will perhaps surmise from the lack of responses, the 1.8 TFSi is certainly one of the least common engines on this board - and in my experience - perhaps across the marque in general.

I have managed to ascertain the turbo is a Borg Warner KO3 - however, the credit goes to Google. :) Here is the link to the press release.

Now to bit that really interests me...performance tuning.

If you are struggling with the CAIs you could do far worse than to contact ITG and/or Forge. I am sure that you will be familiar with the names as they are both British and large players in the market. ITG are just (or have just) finished the development of a CAI for the TTRS and Forge are beginning the Twintake development on the TTS very soon. My point? Contact them, see what they say, and maybe if they haven't already done so, they could use your car as a development car - it happens all the time.

Who would I speak to if I were you?

Ben @ AmD Essex, Ed @ APS Brackley, Kev, Carl or Ben @ Revo Daventry, Damian @ DPM Performance or Kate @ JKM, Portsmouth.

...and get a lead from them as to your hardware options at present. Software is less complicated as you know, with most having defeated the MED17 ECU by now.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this engine is in America, which will massively reduce your tuning options without the likes of: Evolution Motor Sport (Evoms), APR, BSH, et al..who all do big things with 2.0 TFSi.

Good luck though and do report back.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
i have a 1.8Tfsi, i find the engine great, as the stock power is enough to see off a number of other cars. i have investigate the remap and awesome gti can get 210 bhp if think. how come the 1.8Tfsi is not so popular?

Well been reading tons on the turbo and engine. Seems the engine is a very good design, My concern lies with the turbo from reading these turbos peak at around 230-240BHP max, Revo Claim with stage 2 software it can hit the 240 Mark. I beleive in conservative figures this is mainly because of my last car. Im not power hungry but i want it in that 220-240 Bracket enough to keep with some of the quicker hot hatches and leave the older generation behind.

Im sure this is possible but research will have to be done. I wonder if there is a serious upgraded turbo option in the near future but reliability is another issue, Im now just praying 240HP is attainable without to much hard work and money.

Theres a guy on youtube running some serious power in his 1.8TFSI A3 may drop him a message. In the mean time if anyone else has any more info on potential products or options please let me know.

Sorry, have a missed something ? You want to get a 1.8TFSI which is less powerful than the 2.0TFSI because of insurance... then tune it to over the stock 2.0TFSI power figures. Won't that make your insurance more expensive ?

Thats pretty much right im not after crazy power as mentioned but the hike from the 1.8t to the 2.0t is massive for me. We are talking £4000 for quotes and one of the reasons i opted for the 1.8TFSI.

I have mentioned to my insurance company and had prices for remap and upgrade software and the premium increase they gave me was £200 ontop annually.

Im paying 1100 for my insurance on a 1.8T yet when i quote for a 2.0TFSI it flied right up £4000. The 2.0T is used across the board on the GTI, S3, A3. I have not seen many 1.8TFSIs yet and this may be the reason why insurance is alot more reasonable.

Just to add i spoke to revo today at lunchtime and they mentioned ITG make a induction for the 1.8TFSI had a look around and all i can find is a kit for the 1.8TSI...missing the F there lol.

He did mentioned that the kit alone will not do anything but it is well worth it after a stage 1 tune.

Last edited:
how come the 1.8Tfsi is not so popular?

because if you want performance you go for the 2.0T or the S3 (or the 3.2 before it was axed). if you want fuel economy you go for the 1.6, 1.4T or the diesels. in that respect, the 1.8T is a bit of an oddball engine.

I dont think it needs some serious upgrades, As sub39h mentioned if you want pure performance theres the 2.0T or S3.

I always saw the 3.2 as more of a grand tourer and not so much a full out performance machine. A friend has an R32 and the moment we need to head out on the weekend we all say lets go in the R32 and who calls shot gun for the front seat lol.

But now this could turn into a whole new debate as to why use the 2.0T in the S3, Fantastic engine and its worked out very well considering how many 2.0T units are sold in the GTI and the A3 but technically many may have thought why use it again?

I think the 1.8T has a gap between the diesel varients and the top end petrols. If you could genuinely get 240BHP out of it it will be a very very good buy. Its lightweight, Chain driven engine and makes torque from 1500rpm and max boost higher up in the rev range so you dont miss the feeling of a sporty drive.

Thats just my opinion on it, I didnt buy it to be an all out performer but i do want it sitting in that power bracket and according to the tuners it is possible.

Finally MPG, The 1.8TFSI on the combined cycle is in the 40mpg bracket which is impressive and im sure with mild tuning work this wont suffer for the performance on offer.

Last edited:
I have a 1.8 tfsi saloon with a revo stage 1 remap ,turbo muffler delete , carbon replacement upgrade for the air inlet , and k&n filter ,getting 233 Bhp on the dyno , drives and goes really well and will achieve 160 + mph . Advised by revo tech not to go any farther due to 7sp dsg box at limit but with a manual 240 should be easily obtainable I would think

I have a 1.8 tfsi saloon with a revo stage 1 remap ,turbo muffler delete , carbon replacement upgrade for the air inlet , and k&n filter ,getting 233 Bhp on the dyno , drives and goes really well and will achieve 160 + mph . Advised by revo tech not to go any farther due to 7sp dsg box at limit but with a manual 240 should be easily obtainable I would think

hi is any chance to share few photos of engine? im lookin to air intake upgrade but there is not many on the internet :/ so i you can shere some info would be very helpfull
peace

surely these are fast enough in standard form? I own one too and it's not too far off my previously owned mk6 gti and mk5 gti before that. You might not be as impressed as anticipated after tuning.

surely these are fast enough in standard form? I own one too and it's not too far off my previously owned mk6 gti and mk5 gti before that. You might not be as impressed as anticipated after tuning.

are you saying that standard is better than modified ? i think that every engine can produce a bit more fun to drive than manufactured with a bit of help :)

That would depend on what your perception of better is, I'm satisfied with the performance of a 1.8t coming from a higher performing car. If tuning a 1.8t I'd ideally look to gain more that a 2.0t equivalent, that's me personally though.

Reactions: Damiankowalski
I also have a 2011 1.8tfsi and been finding it hard to find solid info about upgrades.
As far as i have been told the 1.8tfsi shares parts with the mk6 gti, intake being one of them. I know revo does a sponge panel filter and also boast the best numbers when it comes to remapping with 200-220hp & 245-275lb-ft
As for a turbo upgrade Apr do a k04 turbo conversion which preach 330bhp & 335lb-ft (along with the necessary upgrades) which are modded s3/gti numbers.

i got that revo sponge panel filter is ok but i think cold air intake would be better im going to do remap stage1 in january then play for a bit and in a meantime look for k04 turbo. have any one got any information about k04 what else is needed to do this upgrade ?

You will need ;
Exhaust
Intake
Inter cooler

Wouldn't hurt to do;
Diverter Valve
Positive Crankcase Ventilation Lines
EVAP Lines
Coolant Lines
Oil Lines
Turbo Support Brace

All depends how far you want to go lol

Reactions: Damiankowalski
I too have an A3 1.8tfsi and can't find many performance upgrade parts. I appreciate it's not the tuners cars of choice (akaS3 or even A3 2.0) so I'll keep looking. I've recently purchased an IHI turbo and manifold off a Golf GTI Mk6 which I believe is a direct bolt on. I think the KO4 needs modifying to fit which the IHI doesn't; it would be great if someone could confirm this?

I'll get it fitted next year but in the interim I'll keep collecting parts.

You will need ;
Exhaust
Intake
Inter cooler

Wouldn't hurt to do;
Diverter Valve
Positive Crankcase Ventilation Lines
EVAP Lines
Coolant Lines
Oil Lines
Turbo Support Brace

All depends how far you want to go lol

what turbo would you recommend? is a lot to chose on the internet :O

much appreciate i think now is time to save some money ;) and start collecting parts. in a meantime if anyone got any information about performance upgrade please share it wit us :) in january im doing stage 1 ill let you know how this one goes peace and merry chrismats people :)

Last edited:
dependence what is around anyway why you asking ? have you got any suggestion