A3 2.0TDI DSG MPG???

funkycat

Reaction score
Just swapped my A4 1.9TDI Sport with 6 speed manual for A3 S-Line 2.0TDI DSG. I went for DSG as there is no loss in MPG, and spend some time queuing on motorways when commuting. I am doing alot of motorway miles (c85-90mph), but seem to be getting less MPG in the A3 than the A4 at the same speed (42mpg in A3 vs 47 mpg in A4). I know I can slow down!!!! to improve MPG, but I always have that meeting to get too!

I reckon using the DSG in tiptronic mode on A roads gives better MPG than it bumbling along at 40-50MPH in 6 gear when in D mode. It just seems to get to 6 gear in D, and then stay there no matter what the speed. The tiptronic paddles and fun though if you get a clear bit of road!

Interested to know what MPG Nos others with A3 2.0TDI DSG are achieving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I haven't picked up mine yet but I was getting similar mpg during my test drive but I was pratting about in the car. It could be due to low mileage?

Funny, I was just saying the same to someone today. It is not as though it is revving high either.
I assume the wind resistance is adding to this. 'Normal' autos will be at their best when in top on the motorway and not very good in stop start. It might be that the DSG just flatters with good economy on A road driving which makes the motorway figures look worse. Need to compare against a manual really.

Slightly off topic , mpg related. I only had 80 miles of fuel indicated today and wanted to do my round trip to work and back of 100 miles and use my 5p voucher when I got home (put in 53 litres). So I drive as smooth as possible whilst still making good progress and achieved 52 mpg (against the high wind coming back) with an indicated 15 miles left, but this was only 44 after leaving the motorway 23/50 miles.

My current car (Golf 1.9 gttdi) will give me 60mpg+ if i drive like Miss Daisy, but down to about 28 if I rag the $hit out of it. Average over 99 hours is 46.1mpg.
Pick up the A3 in 2 months so will report back then with the new figures.

My old smokey oil burner averaged 42mpg over the 2000 miles I owned it. Not that impressed really, considering what Audi claim.

BTW, the 2.0 TDi doesnt like being driven partuculary quickly on the motorway. If i remeber 90mph will result in about 38 mpg, due to the gearing of the car. So definately no, the car is not set up for fast autoban cruisng.

Paul M

What stereo have you got the Icelink hooked up too? I've been thining about getting one, but I've got the Sat nav Plus systmem, will Icelink work with it?

Where did you get the Icelink from and where did you get it installed?

Funkycat.

[ QUOTE ]
funkycat said:
Paul M

What stereo have you got the Icelink hooked up too? I've been thining about getting one, but I've got the Sat nav Plus systmem, will Icelink work with it?

Where did you get the Icelink from and where did you get it installed?

Funkycat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just got the standard one (Concert 2 I think?), single CD player, no autochanger. I have no idea if the ICElink thing will work with the satnav system. It uses the autochanger input, so I don't think you can fit one in addition to an autochanger.

I had mine fitted at Thames Car Radio in Egham, cost £199 fitted. I think you can buy the bits for about £130 or so, but I had no idea how to fit it and didn't want to end up trashing the interior of a two week old car. They did a fantastic job, and gave me a 1 yr warranty on parts and labour, so I was more than happy with the price.

As standard I think the ICElink comes with just a sticky dashboard mounting kit, but I went for a metal bracket that fits in next to the aircon control unit (included in the £199). It looks like they had to take the stereo and the aircon units out to fit it, I could just see me ending up with it not fitting back in, not working and having loads of bits left over!

TCR were really helpful when I spoke to them on the phone, I'm sure they would be able to tell you if it'll fit.

I just picked up my 20TDI DSG last thursday, and I'm not *TOO* impressed by the MPG - I get around 35MPG at 80-85MPH - hopefully this will improve when it's done a few '000 miles, it's nearly 1k now... I'm hoping that the recent high winds are playing a part in this so will re-evaluate when it all calms down a bit....

I've read many threads relating to improved MPG over time, at what point does this engine 'loosen up'?

That sounds excessive - would'nt that equate to ~720 MPT at 80-85 MPH??

Hi Joshua,

It will loosen up. Mine loosened up after a long run ( 400 miles ) after I had completed about 1500 miles. It could have been coincidental, but I've allways found cars need a long run early in their life to help loosen up. Also the A3 is not that good at mpg at 80-85, 90 ish. Must be gearing.

Enjoy your new toy.

I agree on the gearing, mine will cruise quite happily at about 50 mpg around 75-80 mph, but that drops to about 40 ish mpg when I get up to 90.

Had a cruise down to bournemouth yesterday at around 65-70 mph with two surfboards on the roofrack and still averaged 50mpg for the whole trip! Used to average about 30-32 mpg in my old 1.8T GTI.

I've noticed this sort of behavior with my 1.9 - if I run at a steady 85mph it seems to get much worse fuel consumption. The best I had was on a 50 mile run at a steady 65mph or so when it was quite busy and I averaged 62mpg...