Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    6th Gear

Status

2.0T Brake options

hi guys,

i drive a 2006/55 A3 2.0T DSG with some minor modifications. no power upgrades yet, although i doubt i'll actually have the money to do any considering i broke i am

i've noticed that my standard brakes are a bit crap, particularly when i'm carrying a few of my mates. i was wondering if there was a moderately priced solution to the problem? something like aftermarket discs and pads which i can get done when my current set are due to be changed?

i've heard mixed opinions about EBC - a feature car in PVW said that EBC greenstuff were perfectly adequate, but they're mostly frowned upon on here. any other solutions? i know Ferodo DS2500 seem popular. what problems would i encounter with aftermarket pads? i'd imagine they don't have contacts for the brake wear sensors so i'll get a brake warning light?

i've seen a Brembo 4-pot front brake upgrade for my car that seems reasonably priced - HOWEVER i have NO knowledge of this subject and i dunno what reasonably priced would be. the brake diameter remains 312mm and i can't seem to find any reference to the kit on the Brembo website

any other ideas chaps (and chapettes)?

cheers,

S.
    Last edited by sub39h; 17th February 2011 at 12:08.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    why dont you get a set of S3 brakes? there is a set up for sale over on vagoc

edit:

here is the link

Audi S3 8P (Facelift) Brakes For Sale | VAGOC.co.uk
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

6th Gear

Status
    i've not logged onto vagoc in months lol. i'll have a look
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    cool, they are worth a look, by the time you have put uprated pads and new disks, there wont be that much a difference in price
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

6th Gear

Status
    hmm see the Brembo 4-pots that i mentioned in my original post aren't much more money than that and they're brand new. granted they're smaller, but i'd imagine the 4-pot-ness will make more of a difference than the increased diameter

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    Are the brembos designed for the 2.0T with all the brackets etc?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    Are the brembos designed for the 2.0T with all the brackets etc?
    they're being sold as a Brembo upgrade for all PQ35 chassis cars (Mk5/6 Golf, A3, TT, Leon etc.) and you do get brackets with it, yes. but i don't know if you get "all the brackets" because i don't know what that means - i have no idea what you need for a brake upgrade, hence the thread lol

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    ah cool, all you will need is 2 calipers, 2 mounting brackets, 2 discs, 2 brake hoses and a set of pads and your good to go... then its just a case of hoping it all fits under your wheels, which it should do as you have 18's it just depends if you will need spacers or not

6th Gear

Status
    ok this kit doesn't come with hoses, but i was thinking of upgrading to braided lines at the same time so it looks like the kit has everything i need!

many thanks for your help, i might give this kit a whirl. watch me regret it later and go for the S3 set

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

4th Gear

Status
    i also have a set of s3 brakes for sale check my thread a3 thread out. wanting more though as i have the rear callipers too.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    ok this kit doesn't come with hoses, but i was thinking of upgrading to braided lines at the same time so it looks like the kit has everything i need!

many thanks for your help, i might give this kit a whirl. watch me regret it later and go for the S3 set
    ah cool, make sure you talk to brembo about the hoses as not all companies use the same thread size (as i discovered) that way you can make sure you get the right parts

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    ah cool, make sure you talk to brembo about the hoses as not all companies use the same thread size (as i discovered) that way you can make sure you get the right parts
    i've already emailed my mechanic. they should know, they're pretty experienced with this sort of thing

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    ah cool, all good then! have to get some pictures up when they are on
    btw what size are the discs?

6th Gear

Status
    312mm - same as OEM

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    ah cool, should all fit fine under your wheels then
    will be a nice set up!

1st Gear

Status
    Just thought i would put my 2p worth, ive got front and rear S3 brakes on my 2.0T Quattro. I do drive rather enthusiasticly and do the odd track day and tbh they have coped very well. They do fade slightly when im really pushing them but ohterwise i love them
    Brilliant Black A3 2.0T S-line Quattro Special Edition. S3 front brakes, Turbo back Milltek including race cat, APR Intercooler, Evoms air intake, AMD Stage 2 map, Upgraded OEM DV, Sachs Race Clutch, SMF conversion, Forge short shifters, S3 wing mirrors, S3 Rear end, Interior LED conversion, Bi-Xenon's, LED DRL's, BBS CH's, MY 09 Rear lights, Full leather, Tinted rear windows, Custom black front grills.

6th Gear

Status
    thanks for the input. S3 brakes aren't out of the question but whilst i'm scraping the funds together i'm gonna think about exactly what i wanna do. the idea of 4-pots is really appealing, but i've gotta consider price and the fact that i'm taking a bit of a risk. OEM S3s are obviously tried and tested so there's less risk involved.

we'll see what happens lol

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Reverse Gear

Status
    jungleman/sub
    do you know if any modifications need to be carried out to get s3 brakes fitted to 2.0tdi?
    are they the same fitting?

cheers
    A3 S-Line Quattro 170 '06. 8p2

Rarely neutral

Status
    Whatever else you do,please do NOT waste your time and money on things like EBC Green or Red pads.

I was persuaded to try a set as a stop-gap between OEM and getting a proper brake setup....these things fade exactly the same as the OEM pads,and have no conceivable benefits from my point of view,and the money is best put towards a proper set of brakes.