symphony II replaced aftermarket

mike-y90

Reaction score
Hi

Im new to the forums! Just recently purchased a A3 54 plate TDI170! and im very happy with it (execpt having no paid for it all quite yet lol)

I just wanna know if you guys could help me with my problem.

I replaced the symphony II headunit with a touch screen double din unit. To get the aerial connected i had to buy an extended adaptor for it to plug into the head unit. Only problem is it dosnt pick up any radio at all, its just fuzzy! I did google it and think isaw a few things about a aerial amplifier that is built into the symphony head unit is this correct?

If so do i have to purchase some sort of external one?

Thanks!

I doubt the dealer will sort an aftermarket head unit?

Oh - ok ! Just thought that if he bought it recently from a dealer and something
was wrong they should fix it !

However, being the dummy I am I've just re-read the post and realise that he's fitted his own head unit !!!

Sorry !!!! :ohmy: :banghead:

Along with the car because the 170bhp diesels didn't come out until late 2006....

Really? This is worrying because its the bhp thats on the car when u enter the reg in for inusrance and on all the documents for the vehicle? Its 5 door with the large single grill like in your picture.

and no not made by Dynavin :( guess this is gonna be a hard one

Really? This is worrying because its the bhp thats on the car when u enter the reg in for inusrance and on all the documents for the vehicle? Its 5 door with the large single grill like in your picture.

all it takes is for someone to mistype the details when registering it.

my old 1.6 was registered as a 16v 1.6FSI automatic. my car was an 8v 1.6MPI and the 1.6FSI never came as an automatic

ah right.

I have a audi dealership about less than a mile from my house, shall i pop it up there and get them to check?

you shouldn't need to - call them. i'd imagine they'd be able to check if you called them and told them your chassis number - but tbh this is all academic. as another user mentioned if your car genuinely is a 54 reg then it's not a 170

Last edited:
Just rung my local dealership.

She seemed rather confused about my issue after explanning twise that i believe it has been registered with the wrong bhp figures due to the MY but told me someone would call back.....

Look inside the front cover of the service book.

There will be a figure with kw against it. If it says 103 kw then it's the 140 just like mine !!

Don't hold me to this but apparantly the 170 has straight exhaust pipes like the Petrol variations, whereas the 140 has pipes drooping down..

that's only true on the latest models

Oh dear, I dunno how it would stand after so long but I would tell your sister to contact the dealer and kick off as she was sold a car with false information, this is probably also costing you more on insurance so I would contact audi or DVLA to see if it can be registered as what it is

Thanks
Shane

She didnt get it from the dealer either it was a private sale also! owp!

They still have not called back...... cant really see them doing it either for some reason.

I might have to find a contact number rather than just ring a nearby dealership.

Yes the insurance is what im worrying about as im only 20 this difference would save me alot of money :(

it might not do you know. a 2 litre diesel is a 2 litre diesel.

at least your car is a 54 reg with 3 previous owners. means the difference in price between what it is and what you thought it is will be quite small

you need an ariel amplifier from hellfrauds about a tenner connect the power from it to the original stereo block just try with the multimeter for 12v with ignition . has to send the power up the ariel coax to the mast head amp ,then it will work fine

what is the engine code ? A 140 tdi has a bkd engine code

Last edited:
She didnt get it from the dealer either it was a private sale also! owp!

They still have not called back...... cant really see them doing it either for some reason.

I might have to find a contact number rather than just ring a nearby dealership.

Yes the insurance is what im worrying about as im only 20 this difference would save me alot of money :(

Did you look in the service book or haven't you got one ? If you haven't, the same sticker is in the boot well next to the spare wheel.

you need an ariel amplifier from hellfrauds about a tenner connect the power from it to the original stereo block just try with the multimeter for 12v with ignition . has to send the power up the ariel coax to the mast head amp ,then it will work fine

what is the engine code ? A 140 tdi has a bkd engine code

Sorry but im retarded when its comes to this. If it buy that part in the link or simular one from halfords, what do i do with that short blue wire that runs off it?

Also yes i looked in the service book says 104KW :/ should i ring DVLA as the dealership didnt call back and clearly had no idea

In the service book says 10

Last edited:
It's definitely a 140 BKD engine ! Maybe tell the DVLA although I'm not sure they'll be that bothered !

How much road tax do you pay ? - should be £125

Not sure about tax havnt had to tax it yet but i do know the 140 to 170 on insurance was an extra 100 or 200

Had 6months tax on its for about £68.75 got someone to stopwatch a 0-60 was roughly 8.4 secs

Apparently the 140 and 170 were both in the same road tax bracket !!!

Red herring I'm afraid.!

0 - 60 in 8.4 sounds a bit quick to me for a 140 although I've never tested mine ???

Anybody ?