Mileage - How important is it when choosing?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
In the price range I'm looking at, the mileage varies from as little as 30k right up until 75k. Obviously the one with more mileage have also got a lot of the luxury extras whereas the lower mileage ones of the same price have very little extras.

So my question this time :) is how important is the mileage on an A3? How reliable are they come 60k miles?

Any advice on this is much appreciated as always.

Last edited:
I bought a 2.0tdi sportback in November with 62k on the clock, now already has 71k on. Had it remapped and service carried out at 67k with a couple of other advised bits. I think its all about how you drive it, if you drive the nuts off it, expect things to wear and tear. If its got full service history and everything has been repaired/replaced when needed it should be good......

The first A3 I had about two years ago had 102k on the clock and was no trouble at all, would still have her now if she hadnt been written off. The A3 I have now had 50 something k on the clock and is also great. Like spencer361 says above I think its more of how the miles were driven, sensible driver or boy racer?

I forgot to mention that I'm getting a 170 TDI S-Line - if that makes any difference?

my cars done 132k drive it nicely. little boot now and then no ragging it around corners etc. no problems so far full audi history

Mines got 72k on it and runs perfectly, just keep an eye on the service history, if its been looked after it'll last a long time :)

Hi,
About 2 months ago I bought an A3 with 111k Miles on it, only had to change the alternator so far.
As always check the service history carfully, if it is a DSG equiped car, find out when the last oil change was done.

In the price range I'm looking at, the mileage varies from as little as 30k right up until 75k. Obviously the one with more mileage have also got a lot of the luxury extras whereas the lower mileage ones of the same price have very little extras.

So my question this time :) is how important is the mileage on an A3? How reliable are they come 60k miles?

Any advice on this is much appreciated as always.

It really depends on the extras your talking about, most can be added quite cheaply later where as you can never add less miles ( legally) :)
My worry would not be if the car was going to be trouble at 70k miles, more like will i be able to get a price back on it if i sell at 90k or 100k..at which point the extras will not add much to it anyway.
I added a FBMFSW and an RNSE + S3 chrome vents for just over a grand. So it depends what extras you are talking about and the price difference between the loaded and lower mileage cars.

I forgot to mention that I'm getting a 170 TDI S-Line - if that makes any difference?

Be wary of DSG boxes heard some bad things about them but then again you hear bad stories about lots of things. FSH ! check for cambelt and water pump changes every 60k or 3 years.
BTW my 170 Quattro is on 170k miles:O (king of the motorway) - look after your car and it will look after you.

The guy wants a diesel A3...........and you are worried about the box !!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

DSG boxes are for the winners in life!

If going manual, the box is sound but budget for a new clutch anything after 70k. They also rapidly go downhill if you have the engine remapped.

Just had my engine remmapped on my 140 and it got 88k on the clock will i be looking at a new clutch soon, quite a sensible driver but can be known to open up from time to time

check for cambelt and water pump changes every 60k or 3 years

Change both of these every 3 years? Is that correct?

The car I have just bought it 5 years old in September with only 39k on the clock. It hasn't had either of these things done but I was thinking of getting them done in September for its fifth birthday :)

marson http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...-how-important-when-choosing.html#post1184377
check for cambelt and water pump changes every 60k or 3 years

Change both of these every 3 years? Is that correct?

The car I have just bought it 5 years old in September with only 39k on the clock. It hasn't had either of these things done but I was thinking of getting them done in September for its fifth birthday :)

Its every 60k or 5years which ever comes sooner not 3 years. Got my cambelt changed at 62k and the water pump was playing up so under warranty got that changed at 44k.

5 Years not 3 years, sorry bout that.
With regards the DSG box- when looking for my car few people said that if you get a shitee one then they get costly to repair. Havnt had DSG or drove one to rate it.

Did anyone ever go DSG and then back to manual ?