egr insufficent flow after cleaning EGR...?

kdotman

Reaction score
Hi i have a 2.0 tdi bkd engine and had an intake flap error and egr insufficient flow.
I replaced the intake flap with an original pierburg one, cleaned the egr and replaced the fuse then everything was fine reset codes.
The intake flap error went but egr is still there?
I also had an overboost twice
Is this to do with the vacuum side of things
Any help appreciated

Overboost error maybe pointing towards the turbo, given its a bkd then I would be checking this daily, can you post all the errors from the logs, dont need to see non faulting modules, just modules with errors & check the egr area at back of engine as this has an actuator on it iirc which maybe getting stuck, has a cooler on it aswell.

If you can reach round to the turbo, see if you can move the actuator by hand, if not then it may well have some caked up soot in the vanes mechanics, which a removal is certainly advised to 1st check movement & 2nd to clean it up if so, if bearings etc are wor then maybe a rebuild or hybrid upgrade.

Now this is speculative, as cant check the car so dont panic just yet.

its:
16618 boost pressure regulation : limit exceeded (overboost condition)
p0234 - 000 - -

and

16785 - EGR Sytem : insufficient Flow
P0401 - 000 - -

Yeah the car has 90k miles
Im gonna get the turbo stripped and clean. If it is soot and it gets cleaned can the turbo go on for another 50k or something?

And
whats the issue on the egr exactly. I changed the manifold flap and that error is gone and i cleaned the egr valve.

thanks

I had the egr fault after cleaning mine out. In the end I went for an EGR delete kit, which was much cheaper than a new egr valve and had the warning light mapped out. Good mod!

Anyone know how to fix it though?
The egr flow

Does anyone know what i can check to get rid of the error before i buy a new egr valve
I already cleaned it and the car has a new intake manifold flap

anyone?
Can i check the egr valve on my laptop in vagcom?

I have already advised you to check the egr setup from back of engine & associated parts, of which you havnt done, but still keep asking for help, doesnt really help your fault finding if you dont check relative parts mate, not saying these are at fault, but as they're all connected then stands to reason it would be my 1st port of call if egr itself is functioning, assuming the egr can be pushed back?

Thats what i wanted to know sorry
Which lines do you mean. On the egr there is a vacuum line to the left of it going to a box which has lots coming out of it. I traced this from the egr to the box and the line looks good
The right of it has a metal pipe going back which i cant trace as other items are in the way.
Which one goes to the back of the engine and what will i need to take out to check it if things are in the way
appreciate the help mate

NHN if you could just tell me where to follow the pipes so i can tell my mechanic he will check it all for me
Is it the exhaust pipe on the right of the egr
appreciate your help

With all due respect mate, your mechanic should know what to look for, as afterall he is a mechanic & there is a pipe that comes of the right side of the egr/flap that goes down the right side of the engine to the top right area at the back, you need to follow all the piping & check each component that interacts with these systems, the big black block the vacuum pipe goes to is a solenoid valve block, it holds various valves instead of having a seperate N75 like some cars do, he should be able to track these things just by following them.

thank you ill get him to check it out. Just wanted to ask one more thing
Could it be a bad remap? i had it done about a month before this happened
It was done by www.mobileecuremapping.co.uk, Heard of them?
Could that cause it?
thanks

Was the problem there before they mapped it, if so then no, if not, then possible or the map just raised an issue that wasnt noticable before, ask them to remove the map & test car then.

ok got some news
i blew through this pipe going to the n75(this isnt my car btw)
When i suck it isnt holding vacuum . I blew it from here. is it supposed to?
acgbw8.png

Last edited:
OK guys i just need an answer.
When i suck the egr valve from the point i circled with the car off there isnt any vacuum created. So i can keep sucking and nothing happens but i cant blow through it :S
Does that mean its definately the egr?

Last edited:
If the egr valve isnt opening at all, then I'd say its goosed.