Info on changing clutch on BKD TD, please....

evilbane

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, the clutch on my BKD TD makes a strange squealing noise as I'm releasing the pedal from a dead stop in 1st, even though it's not slipping etc, my guess is it's on it's way out?

I'm just wondering how difficult it actually is to change it myself, I'm very good mechanically, I've changed several headgaskets, changed timing belts and water pumps etc

I'm also wondering if anyone who has done this before could give me a basic list of things I'd need, clutch alignment tool etc?

I'll buy the Haynes manual, though from past experience I'm not a big fan of Haynes.

I realise I'm asking a lot guys, but I'm weighing the options of having a garage doing it, or if it I'll save enough to make it worth while?

Have you got a proper ramp or pit to use as i guess you realise your splitting the car and removing the gearbox to do this.

No i dont have access to either, just a set of wheel ramps, can the gear box be split with dropping/ lowering the engine?

If you don`t have a pit or a ramp to use plus you don`t know what your doing you could very easily find yourself in deep *****. The gearbox is heavy and needs to be dropped out completely. Just take it to a garage and pay them the four to five hours it takes an experienced mechanic with the right tools to do the job correct. You don`t want to be splitting your car on the drive way to find that you cannot get something to remove/fit or that once the car is back together the clutch isn`t working properly for some reason and you have to spend another five hours plus splitting the thing again.

I'm very good mechanically and always prepare before hand, I've removed gear box's before on different cars so know just how heavy they can be, If it's possible without a ramp/pit etc, then I'll do it myself, just wondered if it was do'able.

I was gonna do mine but i changed my mind... well it was a little too cold.

In seriousness, you prob would be best to have an engine hoist available to support the engine and use a jack to support the gearbox, according to the haynes manual you can get the gearbox out without having to remove the engine, so after removing the rear mounting you'll just angle the engine downwards and pull the gearbox away.

I dont think it looks too bad actually, and dont put it on wheel ramps, put the frontend on axle stands as you'll need the passenger wheel off and the lower plastic coweling thing in the wheel arch...